AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
Does Harlequin just not care about e-readers?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
HEAreader



Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Does Harlequin just not care about e-readers? Reply with quote

Judging by what I've seen in B&N, WalMart, Target, and other grocery stores, the space allotted for Harlequin's series romances has declined drastically in the last two or three years. Many of the lines, like the Superromances, are not carried at all. As this happened, I began to buy HQ ebooks in ePub form to read on my nook, but I never really liked it. The downloading process was cumbersome, and the books were not integrated into my nook library. The only advantage was that the books were available a month sooner that way.

Now that I have an iPad, it has become my e- reader of choice. Though there is some sort of app for HQ, it has gotten horrible reviews. I'm just surprised that HQ isn't more interested in developing their technology to current trends. I'd buy more books if I could get them into one library.

Anyone know what the story behind this is?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mark



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1391

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the Nook, but I've had no trouble at all with Harlequin ebooks for our Sony Readers (Harlequin switched to only epub a year or two ago).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
willaful



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 1557

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Harlequin is any harder to deal with than any etailer who doesn't have a connection to your ereader. I never buy ebooks from B&N anymore -- their customer service is unspeakable -- and I borrow lots of library books, so I have no issues with the process. An app would probably make a lot of sense though, especially since apparently many people prefer tablets to dedicated ereaders Shocked
_________________
"'Happily ever after, or even just together ever after, is not cheesy,' Wren said. 'It's the noblest, like, the most courageous thing two people can shoot for.'" -- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer nooks integrate sideloaded books in with the rest of your library, I have both a Nook and Kindle and use both. I'm not big on Harlequin though so not much help there other than you can also purchase books from Sony's library and they'll work on the Nook.

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HEAreader



Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. I guess I want it all Smile - the ability to get books early and to read them on my iPad. I have an old nook so it does not integrate the side loaded books, but I'm not going to buy anything else now that I have the iPad. I didn't think I would read on it, but I really love it. (Christmas gift!)

Though I prefer printed books, storage is a big issue. I still think Harlequin has reason to be concerned because stores are carrying only a few titles, if any at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Linda in sw va



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 4708

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEAreader wrote:
Thanks, everyone. I guess I want it all Smile - the ability to get books early and to read them on my iPad. I have an old nook so it does not integrate the side loaded books, but I'm not going to buy anything else now that I have the iPad. I didn't think I would read on it, but I really love it. (Christmas gift!)

Though I prefer printed books, storage is a big issue. I still think Harlequin has reason to be concerned because stores are carrying only a few titles, if any at all.


What about using the Nook app on your ipad, or the Kindle app?

Linda
_________________
"The Bookshop has a thousand books, all colors, hues and tinges, and every cover is a door that turns on magic hinges." ~ Nancy Byrd Turner
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
willaful



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Posts: 1557

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
HEAreader wrote:
Thanks, everyone. I guess I want it all Smile - the ability to get books early and to read them on my iPad. I have an old nook so it does not integrate the side loaded books, but I'm not going to buy anything else now that I have the iPad. I didn't think I would read on it, but I really love it. (Christmas gift!)

Though I prefer printed books, storage is a big issue. I still think Harlequin has reason to be concerned because stores are carrying only a few titles, if any at all.


What about using the Nook app on your ipad, or the Kindle app?

Linda


That's where the "want it all" comes in. You can get the books a month early from the Harlequin site.
_________________
"'Happily ever after, or even just together ever after, is not cheesy,' Wren said. 'It's the noblest, like, the most courageous thing two people can shoot for.'" -- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HEAreader



Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both the nook and Kindle apps but that still doesn't allow me to order books directly from HQ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisReader



Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEAreader said
Quote:
I use both the nook and Kindle apps but that still doesn't allow me to order books directly from HQ.


Have you downloaded the free Overdrive app for your ipad? It's the app used to borrow and read ebooks from the library. I know I have bought Carla Kelly books directly from Harlequin and I am 99% sure I read them through Overdrive. I will check on my ipad tonight to make sure.

I do most of my reading on my ipad and love it. I buy and borrow books from all different places. The two apps I use are Kindle and Overdrive.

I'm pretty sure that as long as you have an Adobe Digital editions registration you should be all set. I am assuming you buy the Harlequins in epub format?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisReader



Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 742

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I just checked. You can buy and download harlequin books in ePub format, click from your iPad and they open right up in the Overdrive app. As long as you are registered with Adobe Digital editions you should be good to go!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HEAreader



Joined: 20 Feb 2011
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisReader wrote:
Yes, I just checked. You can buy and download harlequin books in ePub format, click from your iPad and they open right up in the Overdrive app. As long as you are registered with Adobe Digital editions you should be good to go!


Yes! I did it! Thank you for your help!
Now I'm going to work on transferring some of the books from the laptop Adobe to IPad Overdrive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mark



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1391

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note about buying: I almost never buy my Harlequin ebooks from the Harlequin site since I can get better discounts from Kobo (especially when I have a coupon code) or BooksOnBoard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisReader



Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 742

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEAreader- I'm so happy it worked! Overdrive is also great for borrowing library books as well. Just click and they go right on the ipad!

Mark- I agree that other sites have much better deals on Harlequin books than Harlequin does but Harlequin lures me sometimes by offering some books a good month earlier than they release them to other bookstores. If it's one I can stand to wait for I can get it cheaper but for some Carla Kelly books I wanted ASAP, I paid the extra for immediate gratification.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group