AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fair Game...possible spoilers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicole

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Fair Game...possible spoilers Reply with quote

Anyone else read this one yet? I bought it today, and have just now finished it. Other than being slightly irritated over shelling out for hardcover prices, I'm pretty satisfied with the book. I have read both the Mercy Thompson series and the Alpha and Omega series, and of the two I prefer the Alpha and Omega. There is something special about Anna and Charles' relationship.

In this installment, Charles is having trouble coming to terms with his position as his father's enforcer, and is unsure how to keep that from negatively impacting his relationship with Anna. Anna sees that he is struggling, but Charles wont allow her to help him. She get's Bran to see that Charles is having a problem, and Bran decides to send both of them away to be a liaison on a FBI serial killer investigation in Boston. The investigation itself was really interesting (although I figured out who one of the killers was almost immediately) in that it really highlights both Charles and Anna's strengths. The Boston setting introduced some intriguing new characters, and overall I enjoyed getting another look at the world Briggs has created with her books. She also included some scenes with her other established characters from the world which made me really happy to peek in and see how everyone is doing. Plus there was tons of yummy Bran, I just love him as a character.

Overall I loved the book. I'd have preferred to get it as a paperback, but I just couldn't wait. I'd say for me this is an A read.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Mercy characters -- really love Zee, Mercy, Stefan, Warren, Adam, Sam, Ben, Jesse, and Kyle...and I think Marsilia is a super-creepy villain who needs more screen-time -- but I thought this book was great.

Of the A&O books, I really enjoyed the initial short story that started everything for Anna and Charles, but then I really struggled with the first two books. With this third book, everything seemed more relaxed, and it was far more engaging and readable for me.

Quite the game-changer with respect to the fae! Holy moly!! I wonder how that will affect Zee and the other fae who feature regularly in the Mercy books.

This was the last of the contracted A&O books. Patty is contracted for 3 more Mercy Thompson books plus one additional book to be set in the Mercyverse, but no news on which characters will be featured in that book.

I agree about the hardback format and prices. Would much rather have had this in paperback, but still a good book and I enjoyed it immensely.
AndyR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also give Fair Game an A.

Now that Charles has his love, what about Samuel? Maybe that would be another book in Mercyverse. Question--In which book did Samuel meet a woman who interested him? At least I think he did.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your post, I didn't realize a new one was out! I much prefer this series over the Mercy books, which I've now let go. I'm thrilled to hear about this latest installment but what a shame it's the last.

Linda
MickeyD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on the waiting list at the library for it. Sometimes I will buy it any way however, I don't have much time to read at the moment am not sure if I would get to it before I will get it from the library.

AndyR wrote:

Now that Charles has his love, what about Samuel? Maybe that would be another book in Mercyverse. Question--In which book did Samuel meet a woman who interested him? At least I think he did.

Yes he did in Silver Borne. Samuel is more in the Mercy stories, so I am presuming we will get an update in the next Mercy Book. Didn't see much of the old gang in the River Marked.

Linda in sw va wrote:
Thanks for your post, I didn't realize a new one was out! I much prefer this series over the Mercy books, which I've now let go. I'm thrilled to hear about this latest installment but what a shame it's the last.

Linda

I like both series, so I hope she will contract for more A&O. Unfortuately she restructured her contracts so that she only does one book a year.
MEK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed Fair Game. This is a great series, and complex enough both in the plotting of the storyline and in the relationship of Anna and Charles that I've enjoyed reading them more than once. I also guessed the bad guy, but it didn't bother me too much. The ending was great.

I've never started the Mercy series, but I think I'll give it a go. So many books, so little time........
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MickeyD wrote:

AndyR wrote:

Yes he did in Silver Borne. Samuel is more in the Mercy stories, so I am presuming we will get an update in the next Mercy Book. Didn't see much of the old gang in the River Marked.

Spoiler in white: See, this is the concern... Ariana is fae, and at the end of Fair Game, it seems that the Gray Lords are leading all the fae back onto the reservations -- or more specifically, into Underhill. So what does that mean for Ariana and Zee and the other fae who have relationships with the Mercy characters? Will Ariana be expected to return to Underhill also? If she doesn't and instead chooses to stay with Sam -- or even has that option -- will she lose her power? Not that that will be too much of an issue for Ari, I don't guess, but Zee's power has certainly saved their bacon a time or two.
AndyR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MickeyD Thanks for the title. Need to head to the library and do a reread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: