AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Amsterdam New Fall 2007 TV show
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarenS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also enjoyed the flashbacks of his past life showing how he ended up dying and then coming back to life. The history was also a nice addition telling us about the speak easies of Prohibition, the hidden rooms in famous hotel suites, his furniture making abilities and his relationship with the female artist with Alzheimer's who knew she knew him. There was symmetry to the story that I found amazing that added a little extra to the show. You had to listen to what was going on or you'd miss out on clues and hints. I knew who-dun-it almost immediately and I didn't have to read lips!

My dh watched it with me and liked it well enough. He thought his new partner might be his soul-mate but I told him it was the nurse because the TV guide said so. I liked his partner as well and she seems quite likeable too! They are endearing and sympathetic characters who make you feel their emotions. I felt drawn into the story so I thought it was emotionally warm. Maybe it's done that way on purpose considering we know John is 400 years old. I could feel his pain knowing he's looking for her.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He thought his new partner might be his soul-mate but I told him it was the nurse because the TV guide said so.

I thought the woman, who might be his soul mate, is a doctor.

By the way, I found out on another web site that there was an original pilot which ended up being changed to the one we saw. Here are the links to the other version in two parts:

Part One.
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1570300gnTqZjtw?confirmed=1

Part Two
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1570306zMHTat78?confirmed=1
georgia_peach

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be stupid for them to introduce his soulmate in the first season. I want Eve to be his soulmate. Makes for some great tension.
KarenS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sandlynn"]
Quote:
He thought his new partner might be his soul-mate but I told him it was the nurse because the TV guide said so.

I thought the woman, who might be his soul mate, is a doctor.

It was mentioned she's a doctor in the previews on the Thursday's show so my bad. It's interesting to see that through the centuries John York/Amsterdam has had a pretty busy love life. We met his daughter who was his legal secretary back when he was an attorney in the 1940s and we met an additional family member who has additional family members that John hadn't met yet for some reason. He sure was a busy guy in the romance department. Wouldn't it be funny if he's responsible for populating half of New York City?

If the show takes off and becomes renewed or extended, they should draw out his meeting the doctor or they could write it where she doesn't want to have anything to do with him. Then he has to work really hard to win her just like a rakish romance hero must prove himself worthy of the heroine.
Jocelyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep trying to figure out where I've seen his new detective/partner - is she the badass prostitute from Rome who murdered Titus Pullo's wife?
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jocelyn wrote:
I keep trying to figure out where I've seen his new detective/partner - is she the badass prostitute from Rome who murdered Titus Pullo's wife?

I think so, but you can check bios on the cast at New Amsterdam's Website.

Kay
Trish B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jocelyn wrote:

Yes, she is Zuleikha Robinson, who played the nasty Gaia in Rome.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: New Amsterdam Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
By the way, I found out on another web site that there was an original pilot which ended up being changed to the one we saw. Here are the links to the other version in two parts:

Part One.
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1570300gnTqZjtw?confirmed=1

Part Two
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1570306zMHTat78?confirmed=1

Thanks for posting this. I missed most of the first episode so was glad to be able to catch up. I enjoyed the show and look forward to seeing it when it settles into its regular time slot on Mondays.
CheriVixen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see the latest episode? and the trailers for next week? The plot twist between Amsterdam and the doctor has me a little concerned. Shocked I agree that it may be a little too early to meet the love interest if finding her is the goal of the show.
KarenS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed Monday's episode as I completely forgot about it! Oooopppss! So dh bought two episodes from ITunes for $1.99 a piece. The pilot episode is free. I can't believe I forgot to watch it Monday evening but I had a lot of things to do that evening and didn't give it a second thought. My bad!

Was the third episode called Soldier's Heart? That's the one dh bought. So I'll watch it maybe tomorrow.

Karen
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:

Was the third episode called Soldier's Heart? That's the one dh bought. So I'll watch it maybe tomorrow.
Karen

Yes, Monday's episode was Soldier's Heart, an old name for PTSD. I thought that the twist with the doctor at the end was most interesting. The show's writers have convoluted imaginations.
I like the flashbacks to John's previous "lives;" that was one of the elements I enjoyed on the Highlander TV series. I really appreciate that he has fathered children and told them about his "condition."
Kay
KarenS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw it this evening and yes the ending leaves us with a lot of questions!
Oh, goodness was my response. So we will have to see where the next episode takes us. DH thinks the MD is a red herring and feels his new partner, Eve, might be the one. For all we know, it could have been another woman getting off the subway just before or after the MD did who is the right woman.

The flashbacks show how his past lives are influencing his present life. Even though he couldn't save the soldier who lost his leg in the Civil War he helped the soldier suffering from PTSD.

I've noticed the thin tie he's wearing which makes him look a little retro. But then are skinny ties back in style or is that supposed to be a statement about his old age.
CheriVixen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the MD is a red herring, that would make more sense. Your DH is very clever KarenS. It could have been just a heart attack and coincidence took over. It must be a lot of work to keep track of all his relations. I'll hold my doubts in check and keep watching, I really want to like this show. Maybe I'll give up analysis and just enjoy the scenery Wink
KarenS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CheriVixen wrote:
Perhaps the MD is a red herring, that would make more sense. Your DH is very clever KarenS. It could have been just a heart attack and coincidence took over. It must be a lot of work to keep track of all his relations. I'll hold my doubts in check and keep watching, I really want to like this show. Maybe I'll give up analysis and just enjoy the scenery Wink

Enjoy the scenery particularly the actor. He's one sexy guy. Have you noticed how he interacts with all the women when he's up close and personal with them? He's either a hell of an actor or he really likes women as he knows how to come on to women. Those scenes are pretty riveting and steamy to me. This guy is serious fantasy material.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
This guy is serious fantasy material.

He's my vote for Jamie Fraser. *sigh* I can't watch this series now without thinking of him as Jamie.

But Karen, I have noticed what you mentioned. In his interactions with women, you get a sense that he generally likes women, and that's engaging. He's not a full, obnoxious come-on, but that general liking he seems to portray is very appealing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: