AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Me and Mine (Gay Priest Romance) - By Sarah Goodwin
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HideNothing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Me and Mine (Gay Priest Romance) - By Sarah Goodwin Reply with quote

So, I got this book from amazon, it was 86p, it's on my kindle, and it's about a priest who's chosen to be a priest, because he's gay, and he wants to do something good with his life. And then he meets a teenager at his new church, who's gay, and who wants to be able to hide his sexuality, and ultimately over come it.

They end up falling in love and trying to be platonic about it, but then their world just started to unravel and I found that really heart breaking, but it all gets sorted out in the end - and I'm a sucker for happy endings.

I only found it becasue a friend linked me to some of the trailers for it, which I'll put here, becasue they have some quotes from the book in them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYmsHHT5fdc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cCPzsTtkkY

It's kind of a romance story, and it has bits of tragedy and humour in it. Ultimately I found it really entertaining for an indie book, so I thought I'd post about it here.

there's some info from amazon -

When seventeen-year-old Jude Walker confesses to his priest that heís gay, and in fact has an unhealthy attraction to the priest himself, the last thing he expects is compassion. Father Gray surprises him with his understanding and Jude accepts his offer of help in overcoming his condition.

When Sebastian Gray extends an offer of help to a troubled teenager, the last thing he expects is that it is Jude that will save him. Yet Jude steadily breaks through the priestís barriers, bringing him out of his self-imposed exile and into the world.

As the two find surprising parallels between their lives and obsession gives way to affection, both men begin to understand that their love may cost them their souls. Jude stands to lose his family to the truth of his affections, and Sebastian could fail in his original task; saving Jude, no matter what the cost.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Me-and-Mine-ebook/dp/B005FBTYHO/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1312725494&sr=1-2
LouiseM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that this story sounds incredibly daring. A gay priest falling in love with a teenager?? It takes some guts to write such a story.....

Are you raving about it like in the review on Amazon?

I am interested, but at the same time, slightly put off by the premise. It is not because it's a priest, or that he is gay, but a man in such a position of trust that ends up (I am guessing) with a 17 year old... I am sorry to say it makes me feel icky. How on earth does the author handle that? Does the story span many years?

Very intrigued.....
Juliette

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wtf is all I have to say Confused
JaneO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you kidding? This is what all the scandals have been about. Please don't tell me the bishop is sympathetic and covers it up.
HideNothing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: interesting... Reply with quote

Well, it's more like a platonic friendship for a really long time. Then the two separate and Jude goes away to college, and they don't meet again till he leaves, so he's about 20? 21?

I guess it seems more acceptable to me, because I'm English, and the age of consent is 16, as opposed to 18? which still doesn't make this situation look ok at first glance, but in reading it...I don't know, you kind of get where both characters are coming from.
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind the age of consent, the issue, in my mind it is someone abusing their status in a trusted position.
HideNothing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, this is hard to explain.

I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time, it's sort of like calling half of 'The Time Travellers Wife' paedophilia - technically yes, but in the reality of it, no.

There is an element of characters reacting as you have to the involvement of the two, seeing it as a betrayal of trust and not a positive thing in the slightest. But, without wishing to get into explaining the entire plot, there are some internal struggles and actual debates between many of the side and main characters that bring that whole side of things into the mix, and reach some conclusions as the novel progresses.

There's the romance plot, obviously, but through that you get some well rounded characters and a lot of debate about the religious, ethical and social implications of the things that happen with the main characters.

I think, what it boiled down to for me was the part where the priest leaves the town, and the priesthood. He gives up everything and goes for the welfare of jude, and I found it really emotional. Becasue as you say, the priest is in a trusted position, and not once can I think of any way in which he didn't have jude's welfare at heart - everything that drives the novel is about them wanting the other to be happy and safe.

For me that kind of made the priest a sympathetic character, and I think what ideas like this boil down to is -do you sympathise with the characters? would you defend them?

And clearly, I did, and I am Smile
catgrace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread grabbed my eye, and I bought it, curious to see how the author handles such a premise.

I'm only halfway through, but so far I'm very impressed with the story, which is highly character driven. Far more of the story has been devoted to the growth and development of the two men separately than together. As a former Catholic, I was very pleased to see positive, healthy portrayals of priests.

Spoiler to reassure some of the ick points brought up earlier:
The priest _immediately_ quits his profession when their relationship becomes sexual, which occurs relatively early in the book. The rest has been dealing with their lives as they separate and grow as individuals before meeting up again.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest, and despite minor editing errors common to indie books, this has been a great story, and I second the recommendation, so far. Smile
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe if this book was written before all the scandals, my gut reaction wouldn't be so negative. As it is, I just don't have any interest in reading about this type of conflict. Too many situations when it wasn't appropriate.

When the Clinton and the Monica scandal broke, it wasn't so much that he had an sexual encounter with another woman, it was he abused his position. Sheesh, most young woman are going to be very much impressed with the power that the presidency.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no words except that it seems like an unfavorable premise. To the extreme.
HideNothing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a premise, yes, perhaps it seems that way.

I can't see anything unsavoury in the actuality - but I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.
Lee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, thanks. Everyone has their hot button issues, and this book would cover all of them for me. The sexual abuse of children by priests was felt like a juggernaut by many US Catholics, causing many to leave the Church, as well as non-Catholics. I could never read this book without that in my head.

And I take issue with your idea that The TT's Wife had pedophilia in it. Henry was not in love with Claire, nor did he contemplate a sexual relationship with her until they met again in their 20's. When she was a little girl, he relied on her as a matter of life and death, not love or lust.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catgrace wrote:
This thread grabbed my eye, and I bought it, curious to see how the author handles such a premise.

I'm only halfway through, but so far I'm very impressed with the story, which is highly character driven. Far more of the story has been devoted to the growth and development of the two men separately than together. As a former Catholic, I was very pleased to see positive, healthy portrayals of priests.

Spoiler to reassure some of the ick points brought up earlier:
The priest _immediately_ quits his profession when their relationship becomes sexual, which occurs relatively early in the book. The rest has been dealing with their lives as they separate and grow as individuals before meeting up again.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest, and despite minor editing errors common to indie books, this has been a great story, and I second the recommendation, so far. Smile

Interesting! I come from a Catholic background so it's a touchy subject here too but I admit I'm intrigued to see if the author could make it work.

Linda
HideNothing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the feeling you've willfully misunderstood me on that - my point was that the time travelers wife DID NOT contain paedophilia - and that saying it did have it was something someone might say if they were not particularly well informed and had not read the book.

Just as people seem to think that the book we're discussing here has child abuse in it, when the two people who have read it both know that it enphatically does not.
dick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult for me to see any m/m relationship as a "romance," although they may very well be love stories. The relationship functions more as a mirror than a discovery. Even though I might feel sympathy, even empathy, for the characters in this book, were I to read it, the situation nonetheless strikes me as somehow dishonorable, just as infidelity within a m/f relationship would.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Writer's News Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: