AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discoveries of 2011
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natalie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Discoveries of 2011 Reply with quote

Let's talk about the new favorite authors discovered this year (not necessarily recently published).

In my case, it was Courtney Milan. For the first time in quite a few years, I found a new romance writer all of whose books I enjoyed! My only concern is that now that's she's regularly published, she is going to only have (gasp!) a single book per year.

Outside of romance, I really liked N.K. Jemisin's the Inheritance Trilogy (it does have a strong romantic element in it).
Lucia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was Jennifer Ashley Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie. Pleased to glom a newly discovered author. Thank you kindly message board!
Danielle D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was Victoria Dahl and Jillian Burns.

So many books, so little time

http://www.myspace.com/danielle_de
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/DanniD?ref=profile
http://www.shelfari.com/dani807

Now a Lady of Leisure

Last edited by Danielle D on Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Rosie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started reading Marsha Canham's books this year, thanks to her releasing her backlist titles at inexpensive prices in ebook format.

I'm wowed. She's definitely not an author to read when you're in the mood for something light and fluffy. But when you're in the mood to settle into something epic, she delivers!

-----------
MEK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosie wrote:
I started reading Marsha Canham's books this year, thanks to her releasing her backlist titles at inexpensive prices in ebook format.

-----------

Rosie, which of Canham's books did you like best?

For me it was Ellen O'Connell this year. She now has three westerns under her belt, her latest being Dancing on Coals. They are all superb.
library addict

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I actually purchased her first two books in late December 2010, I started reading Meg Benjamin this year. I enjoyed some of the books in her Konigsburg series more than others, but look forward to reading more of her in the future.

I also enjoyed Rainbow Rowell's Attachments which I believe is her first book.

Though I had some issues with Toni Anderson's first Carina book, Sea of Suspicion I did buy her next two. They are all stand alone books which is rare these days.

And though I had read a few of her books in the past I will also count Jill Shalvis among my 2011 discoveries. I read 8 of her books this year and have more in my TBR pile. Her single titles work much better for me than her category ones.
Rosie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEK wrote:

Rosie, which of Canham's books did you like best?

I think my favorite so far is The Last Arrow.

-----------
xina

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New-to-me authors in 2011

Georgette Heyer (I am a late bloomer. Better late than never.)
Carolyn Crane
Annemarie Hartnett
Susan Sey
Grace Burrowes
Susanna Fraser
Lisa Marie Wilkinson
Outlandish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Discoveries of 2011 Reply with quote

Natalie wrote:
Let's talk about the new favorite authors discovered this year (not necessarily recently published).

In my case, it was Courtney Milan. For the first time in quite a few years, I found a new romance writer all of whose books I enjoyed! My only concern is that now that's she's regularly published, she is going to only have (gasp!) a single book per year.

Outside of romance, I really liked N.K. Jemisin's the Inheritance Trilogy (it does have a strong romantic element in it).

I'm with you for Courtney Milan. "Unveiled" is and continues to be my favorite read this year. Not only was "Unveiled" brilliant, the next two "Unclaimed" and "Unraveled" were also must reads. I cannot wait to read more from this author. Her books are so complex and her voice is simply beautiful!

Some authors I must mention are:
C.S. Harris - Her SEBASTIAN series is wonderful, I won't hesitate to say the series is already fast becoming my all time favorite mystery series.
Jill Shalvis - I've seen her books but never gave it a try, but try I did, and I've fallen in love with the Lucky Harbor AND her Animal Magnetism series. Her sense of humor is contagious!
willaful

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courtney Milan was mine as well.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See some of mine already mentioned. Adding Sheila Simonson.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meljean Brook-amazing writer.
Susan Sey- loved both her books
Kresley Cole- I felt like I was on a crack binge. I consumed these books over the past year. I only have 1 book left and then I am ready for Lothaire. Even the weakest book- the one about the ballet dancer- I enjoyed.
Lorelei James- Romanitca- what this genre should be. Scorching hot(Burning on AAR), but the characters are authentic, intense, and likable. The series follows the McKay family(Rough Riders- I know terrible name, look past it)- who own a huge ranch in Wyoming. Yep, sexy hot cowboys and there are alot of them(she just published #12). The books are not just about sex, but issues you would not think to find in erotic fiction like: drug addiction, Veterans/amputees,PTSD, identity within a big family,infertility/adoption. I did not ready them in order, and there is no need to. My Favorite is #3, Cord and AJ's story.
pwm in mi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing about Lorelei James- Warning:Her heroes are ALPHA in the bedroom- ie: most of them pretty much come right out and say to the heroine, "I am in the drivers seat when the bedroom/ barn doors close, make sure you can deal with it" They are never abusive but they do demand a dominant role.
JaneO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoe Archer's Warrior. I don't much care for paranormals of any variety, but in this one the magic wasn't intrusive. It just served as the McGuffin for a terrific adventure story. I didn't enjoy the next two books in the series as much, but I loved this one.
Eggletina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also forgot to mention that I finally tried Roberta Gellis this year. Loved the Roselynde Chronicles (read the first four at any rate).

Also loved Stacia Kane's Downside series (currently three books and two more to look forward to next year).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: