AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody read: Dreams of Joy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda X

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Anybody read: Dreams of Joy? Reply with quote

I just finished this fabulous, fabulous, suspenseful book, and I have NOBODY to talk it over with! If you've read it, let me know, please! PLEASE!

This is not a romance, by any stretch of the imagination, although there is a little in it. Lisa See, the author, is not as good as portraying men and I've noticed that she consistently underwrites them. This is the sequel to "Shanghai
Girls," which wasn't quite as good, IMO, but "Dreams of Joy" can definitely be read alone. It's the story of a guilt-ridden, stubborn, idealistic young Chinese-American girl who runs away to Communist China in the early '60's and her mother who follows to bring her home. The theme of this book (that I couldn't put down after reading three pages) is the strength of a mother's love.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: