AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The first episode of Outlander is online!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: The first episode of Outlander is online! Reply with quote

Hope this works because I've been watching it. I'm about a half hour in!

http://www.starz.com/videos/video/6dd18f29a87b4d3188e9963c7bf68e67?cid=080214a
LFL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The first episode of Outlander is online! Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:

What did you think of it, Sandlynn?
Eliza

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved it. The production values were wonderful, the actors were all spot on, and how they condensed the first 200 pages or so of the book into a one hour episode was very well done, breaking off at just the right spot. I think I heard Sam Heughan say in some interview somewhere that Scotland was a cast member and boy was he ever right. The landscape and the Scots accents immerse one in a way that makes reading "canna" and dinna" pale in comparison.

The first half was Claire and Frank, and a little past the halfway mark Claire falls through the stones. Two of the first key scenes between Jamie and Claire were really well done. Gratifying, really. I felt Cat, Tobias, and Sam really nailed the characters. FWIW, my son, who hasn't read the book, enjoyed it too.

ETA: I watched it a second time and realized I forgot to mention here how much I liked the musical score that sounded just right to me.

I also liked how Jamie was a little edgier with Claire in the scene after the British ambush, even though he wasn't in the book, because it showed some of Jamie's intensity early on. Especially when most of us have seen that Sam would have Jamie's charm and wit (from interviews). Smart to show some passion. Really smart IMO.

Last edited by Eliza on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: The first episode of Outlander is online! Reply with quote

LFL wrote:
Sandlynn wrote:

What did you think of it, Sandlynn?

I watched the episode late last night the moment I saw the link tweeted so I think I'll have to watch it again to get my thoughts in order. I do think the quality of the production is very good and the acting is excellent too. When Jamie and Claire finally meet and interact, I know I had a big smile on my face. I haven't read Outlander in years, but it reminded me of what I loved about it. So, initially ... I'm happy with it.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this link. I don't have Starz in my cable package, but I'll tell you, I am definitely thinking I need to add it ASAP. I read Outlander when it was first published so some of the details are a bit foggy. I think they did an incredible job with a very complex story line. So many times actors do not fit the images we have formed of the characters but I think the casting is very true to my vision, at least in the first episode. The settings and costumes were well done and it felt true to the time periods. So far I would give it high marks. We'll see how it holds up over time. Very clever marketing to provide the 1st episode free. I am hooked already!
Kayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fun article in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly on Outlander. It shows an outline of a body with all the injuries Jaime has had through the series (over 20). and says its a good thing Claire is a medical professional. It also shows pictures of all of the animals that have attacked Claire, Jamie & Co.: crocodile, water moccasin, panther, wolf, buffalo, black bear, black boar and stag. It lists 5 fan sites and what's up next for Gabaldon which included Book 9 and also a prequel about Jamie's parents. I haven't read all 8 books in fact I was lucky to finish one. They are really thick. Embarassed
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayne wrote:
There is a fun article in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly on Outlander. It shows an outline of a body with all the injuries Jaime has had through the series (over 20). and says its a good thing Claire is a medical professional. It also shows pictures of all of the animals that have attacked Claire, Jamie & Co.: crocodile, water moccasin, panther, wolf, buffalo, black bear, black boar and stag. It lists 5 fan sites and what's up next for Gabaldon which included Book 9 and also a prequel about Jamie's parents. I haven't read all 8 books in fact I was lucky to finish one. They are really thick. Embarassed

GAH! You wouldn't believe how hard it was to find the TV Guide magazine in my neighborhood, with it's cover story about Outlander. *Not* because of the popularity of Outlander or the TV Guide. Apparently, they don't carry the magazine or their last magazine delivery was months ago! So, just found it today at a Safeway in another neighborhood. Hopefully, it won't be as hard to find a current Entertainment Weekly, but ya never know. Wink

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this show and, since I read the first book many years ago, it's going to seem fresh to me. I honestly have forgotten many of the details. All together, I read the first four books. I got to The Fiery Cross -- the 5th book -- made it to page 50 and realized the story was still on day one! Just too many minute details. Maybe I'll get the book on tape just so I can get over this hump.
Eliza

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They are really thick.

Quote:
Just too many minute details.

The main reason all of these these books are my favorites are because of DG's talent and skill and wit, historical periods I'm really interested in and have read a lot about, and Jamie and Claire, of course, but the two quotes above are two more reasons these books are right on for me. Especially when those details are so well researched and adroitly handled by DG. À chacun son goût!
Eliza

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone's interested, from Entertainment Weekly as of 8/8: Starz' 'Outlander' pilot already viewed nearly 1 million times
Starz put the first episode (“Sassenach”) of its adaptation online and On Demand this week. So far, the hour has been viewed 897,372 times by more than 600,000 unique viewers. (So, yes, some fans are apparently watching more than once.)

An earlier EW review had an A- rating, saying, "...the pleasantly surprising Outlander gives us a romance between adults that feels adult, that's sexy and smart and stirring."

Variety said that Starz had added 100,000 subscribers since the first quarter and shares have increased 30% in the past year.

On IMDB, 478 users gave it an 8.9 out of 10.

I can't wait to see what the reception was and the numbers now that the show has premiered on Starz.
Vol Fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza, I'm very curious as to the numbers too. I would think the first true airing would not have huge numbers, mainly because so many of us watched it online, or other ways and maybe didn't watch again last night. My Dish Network had it on Blockbuster-TV and we watched it that way. I had planned on watching it again last night, but got tied up & only watched the last half of it.

I would think they won't know the true numbers of how popular it is until the second episode. I can't wait for it. I am loving what I'm seeing so far.
jebe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza wrote:
In case anyone's interested, from Entertainment Weekly as of 8/8: Starz' 'Outlander' pilot already viewed nearly 1 million times
Starz put the first episode (“Sassenach”) of its adaptation online and On Demand this week. So far, the hour has been viewed 897,372 times by more than 600,000 unique viewers. (So, yes, some fans are apparently watching more than once.)

I'm pretty sure most of that 1 million was me. I was working on my computer last night and just left the TV tuned to Starz. They showed the first episode in constant rotation all night long, I think I saw it 6 times! Very Happy

The more I watched it, the more I loved it. I was never a fan of the books, they were way too cumbersome for this lightweight. The story itself, though, always intrigued me and I listened to the first two books on tape. I thought the pilot was perfect. I loved that they fleshed out Claire's relationship with her husband before jumping into the past. It really adds credibility to her desire to return to the future/past.

I'm really looking forward to following the show!
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:

I'm pretty sure most of that 1 million was me. I was working on my computer last night and just left the TV tuned to Starz. They showed the first episode in constant rotation all night long, I think I saw it 6 times! Very Happy

I read another article that mentioned the 1M views, but said that Starz was able to determine that 600K of those were from unique viewers.

I watched it again last night on Starz -- I'm a subscriber. Enjoying it very much! I hope it does well. I'd love for them to continue with the series. The scene I MOST want to see? The scene from Drums in Autumn when Jamie sees Bree "in the flesh" for the first time.
MEK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched Episode One on Starz, and I loved it. However, due to how graphic the sex is, I will be unable to watch it with family members. That's too bad and a real regret.

For that reason, I may not subscribe for the series, since Starz was free for this weekend only.
Eliza

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe...
Quote:
I'm pretty sure most of that 1 million was me.

I feel quite sure you were not alone. I know I did my part too. Very Happy

Niftybergin....
Quote:
The scene I MOST want to see? The scene from Drums in Autumn when Jamie sees Bree "in the flesh" for the first time.

Yeah, I hope to see that one too. DG was asked what her favorite scene was from this first season and she said Jamie and Claire's honeymoon night. I'm looking forward to that one the most too, not for the sex but as DG pointed out, the actors apparently really captured the shyness, awkwardness and tenderness of that night. After I heard her say that of course I went back and read about that night in the book (as well as skimming a bunch more, I confess).

Another thing DG revealed was that the scene that sealed the chemistry between Sam and Cat for her was when they were making the screen test of the scene between the couple on the night they return to Leoch after having been married and Claire thinks Jamie had been with Laoghaire. Apparently it was pretty intense, Sam grabbed Cat who in turn got angry, and they had scratches afterwards. That certainly will be a scene worth watching too.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to listen to the producer, Ron Moore's, podcast for the first episode of Outlander ... which I think he will be doing for each episode, as he did for Battlestar Gallactica, it's on this page:

Ron Moore’s podcast on Episode 101 “Sassenach”
http://outlanderpod.com/

Also, the ratings for the first episode are in via Entertainment Weekly:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/11/outlander-ratings/?hootPostID=845a2468954626fdc0f9882ac0756e6a
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: