AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Class War

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Class War Reply with quote

Talk about vast right-wing conspiracies!
http://www.hightowerlowdown.org/node/2650
Tee

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for the Michigan segment of that report, Mark. Below is someone's response to the statement that teachers receive too much money.

Teachers get paid too much...well, pay us what we are worth!
Are you sick of high paid teachers? Teachers’ hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 10 months a year! It’s time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do--baby sit! We can get that for less than minimum wage. That’s right. Let’s give them $3 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min off for lunch and plan—that equals 6 1/2 hours). Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many do they teach in day…maybe 30? So that’s $19.50 x 30 = $585 a day. However, remember they only work 180 days a year! I am not going to pay them for any vacations. Let's see…. that’s $585 X 180= $105,300 per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries). What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master’s degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8 an hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year. Wait a minute—there’s something wrong here! There sure is! The average teacher’s salary (nation wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student–-a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!
Beth W

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a union-represented public employee in the great state of Wisconsin.

Needless to say, things have been just a little interesting around here.

While I haven't attended any of the protests in Madison, I was at a couple that were local (and I live in Governor Walker's hometown. I went to high school with his brother).

I'm politically a conservative independent, and I will admit (rather ashamedly) that I voted for Walker. But he screwed up big time here. He has made a lot of enemies where he once had allies, by what he did and continues to do with the "budget repair bill" and the union busting (and there is a lot more in that bill besides the union busting that's worth getting upset about).

But as the article said, we are not going away in Wisconsin. Yesterday was day 90, and there was another protest at the Capitol. I expect it will continue, until either the bill is stopped or Walker is recalled (which cannot happen until January of 2012).
KarenS

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class warfare sure seems like a Republican value these days. Just watch their delight as they deny firefighters, police and teachers their collective bargaining rights, pensions and decent wages. These three groups define the middle class. If our middle class disappears what happens to America?

Perhaps the middle class is no longer needed. Our lives and our concerns are unimportant to the corporatists who control the money. There are other markets to plunder so we're nothing but liabilities.

Every benefit that has helped the middle class is being defamed. We're told Social Security and Medicare are going bankrupt. We're told that education costs too much and that possibly an education is no longer necessary for a better life.

Divide and conquer is still the most effective strategy. It's easy for those who make less than teachers, police and firefighters to be envious of their wages and well deserved benefits. If you're envious and want what they have, then become one. But don't deny them a decent life because they played by the rules.

While the middle class fights each other, we ignore those that are responsible. However, they do fear us as we greatly outnumber them and they do worry about a backlash. As long as the media toots their horn for them(and yes, the media is not liberal) and keeps us diverted, they will win.

Hopefully the middle class is waking up. Big money can buy government officials and the media. They can put a nice spin on their tactics We have to be vigilant otherwise our way of life will be gone.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class war part 2:
http://www.hightowerlowdown.org/node/2680
The country is up sh*t creek without a paddle because certain a**holes are pushing their sh*t on the rest of us.
maryskl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and people are just taking it with no out cry. I just do not get it.
KarenS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maryskl wrote:

I don't get it either. My feelings is that most people don't believe they can do anything about what is happening so they just accept it. Most folks are working more than one job or working so hard they don't have time to deal with issues. It's the folks that are retired or either have leisure time that are the activists who try to effect change. When every day folks get involved, it's usually because the issue is obviously something not in their best interest and then they do something about it. Otherwise, most folks are just oblivious to what is going on.

When the other side has the big bucks, their money talks and their way prevails. They can buy officials, hire attorneys, pr companies, etc. to find loopholes and put a positive spin on their actions. Unless us regular folks are willing to fight for our rights, we are going to be screwed.
LizE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maryskl wrote:

Look at Greece. Push anyone hard enough and they'll eventually fight back. We just haven't reached that point . . . yet.
maryskl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LizE wrote:
maryskl wrote:

Look at Greece. Push anyone hard enough and they'll eventually fight back. We just haven't reached that point . . . yet.

I think we are getting close though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: