AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you seen 'Thor' yet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucyBlueCastle

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Have you seen 'Thor' yet? Reply with quote

If not, hie thee to a movie house - it's amazing. My husband and I don't see a lot of movies in the theater these days, particularly on a Friday night in 3-D. It's too darn expensive; people can be hopelessly rude; and it's just sooooo very comfortable watching them later on DVD at home. But we were invited out with two other couples to see Thor this past weekend, and it was totally worth it. Not a romance, per se, but the hero is hunky and charming and wicked and bad-ass - all the things I love. And for once, praise the heavens, the heroine deserves him completely. Even when she does something stupid (for what I considered to be a pretty good reason), she's enough of a grown-up to admit she's done something stupid. All of the actors are good, and the plotline actually hangs together all the way to the end, which is becoming unheard of in any Hollywood blockbuster but even more so in a superhero story. I give a lot of credit to Kenneth Branagh, who directs this comic book yarn with the same level of commitment and excitement he brings to Shakespeare.

One note: I'd skip the 3-D if I had it to do over again. It's just an unnecessary expense; the spectacle would work just fine without it, I think, and the story is the star.
merryweather

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband took our youngest last weekend (I had something going and couldn't make it) and they loved it. We're all going this coming weekend to see it together. I feel like I need to support Kenneth Branagh--loved him since Henry V and have followed his career ever since. But the reviews are so good I'm sure I'll enjoy it for it's own sake as well.

I was surprised to see that the guy playing Thor was Captain. Kirk's dad in the Star Trek Reboot--he looks very different for this movie.
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
merryweather

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I finally saw Thor for myself last weekend and --wow. One of the best super hero movies I've seen since...? Since a long time. I'm not a comic book fan so I didn't know all the backstory of the characters but the people I went with are and said the writers stayed pretty close to the mythology of Thor and his family, etc.

Not Hamlet by any means, but if you are looking for a fun escape for a couple of hours, this is a great choice. And Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is very, very easy on the eyes and plays the part with a nice self-deprecating air. I guess we will see him again in the Avengers, which I'm now excited to see thanks, to this movie.

And yes--kudos to Ken B.--I'm so happy for him that the movie is a great success. Smile
For the first time in her life, she saw exactly what she’d thrown away when she decided to have him by means fair or foul……that she’d not saved him but wronged him by consigning to him all the ability of a box turtle to make his own choices. ~Gigi
hannahi

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Thor over the weekend. I agree that Chris Hemsworth is easy on the eyes. I thought the actor who played Loki was even more appealing in a skinny bad-boy kind of way. Twisted Evil Though I enjoyed the romance the kiss at the end made me cringe--I can't tell you why. Did you all stay to see the bonus scene after the credits? see spoiler below

It was a teaser for the next movie in the series, The Avengers. I thought it was going to be a scene of Thor returning to earth to reunite with Jane so I was a bit disappointed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: