AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pamela Clare - Breaking Point - ARGH! (spoilers!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natalie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Pamela Clare - Breaking Point - ARGH! (spoilers!) Reply with quote

This is one of those books that are going well until the epilogue (no wonder, romance authors often tend to overdose with saccharine).

More specifically, I had issues with one paragraph where we're told that our indomitable journalist of a heroine suddenly has decided to abandon her profession entirely in order to stay with her US marshall of a husband. She doesn't even want to work part time or write a book. You see, she doesn't want her work related stress to interfere when he comes home. As if her own work life is somehow less important than his. Rolling Eyes

I could understand if she wanted to take a break to start a family, but her husband mentions that they want to wait a year before having kids because he "wants her all to himself". What century is this, again? And wouldn't writing a book be a great excuse to stay at home anyway? So this Natalie from New Orleans (a Katrina survivor, of course) turns out to be a stereotypical southern belle who gives up any professional aspirations as soon as she get a ring on her finger.

Of course, Ms Clare had to write that some women won't understand, but it was her (Natalie's) choice. Well, no, I don't understand because I've been led to believe that she's a different kind of woman.
iluvarake

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with but for an ulterior motive. I resent all her contemporary stories because I want her to get back to work on the MacKinnon's Rangers stories. Laughing Years between books is too long for an already begun series.
xina

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iluvarake wrote:
I'm with but for an ulterior motive. I resent all her contemporary stories because I want her to get back to work on the MacKinnon's Rangers stories. Laughing Years between books is too long for an already begun series.

Well, as long as you said it, I wholeheartedly agree. I am a huge fan of her historicals. From her first book, I pretty much love them all. Her contemps...I just haven't been excited about at all. I did download this one and will read it, but I love her historicals so much. It's like I stubbornly refuse to read the contemps. I certainly hope there is a historical by Pamela Clare in the near future.
Claire

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie... was it good before the ending though? I was thinking of downloading this one.
Cee

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the I-Team series but it seems like every single heroine gets knocked up and forgets her career after meeting the hero. If that's what she wants, that's great, but previously these women had been hardcore journalists doing good work!

Although given what Natalie went through, I don't blame her for wanting to take a break.
Rosie

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cee wrote:

Although given what Natalie went through, I don't blame her for wanting to take a break.

Good point.

But I think it would've been nice to have had her decide to stay home and write novels. The hero had told her what an amazing writer he thought she was. She was on this elite team of journalists. And then ... no career. I will admit, I rolled my eyes!
desiderata

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this book the most out of the I Team series -- at least the ones I've read, I might have missed one or two. I think it was quite good, but I agree that the fact Natalie gave up her career to stay home, bake pies, and greet her man at the door after a long day was a "say what?" moment. Two chapters before this her colleagues were stating that she was a Pulitzer prize contender. One chapter earlier Zach told her he had taken a new job that was less dangerous, less stressful, and less time consuming. A few paragraphs away, Zach tells the guys they're waiting a year before they try to have a baby. It really came out of left field within the story line, and didn't fit Natalie's character.
Leigh

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely off subject. . . I was very surprised that Kate Middleton never worked. Now I am in no way a royal follower. . . I only knew about her nick name because I caught it when they were talking about the wedding.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110427/en_ac/8372019_short_history_of_waity_katie_to_britains_future_queen_1
Cee

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leigh, I think that article is a little misleading - Kate has worked a bit. I believe she worked as a buyer for a clothing store chain and she also worked for her family's party supply business. True, she comes from a wealthy family so there was real need for her to have a career but at least she went to university!
Leigh

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cee wrote:
Leigh, I think that article is a little misleading - Kate has worked a bit. I believe she worked as a buyer for a clothing store chain and she also worked for her family's party supply business. True, she comes from a wealthy family so there was real need for her to have a career but at least she went to university!

I did find this:

http://www.katu.com/news/entertainment/120065124.html

After posted the first link. I did find the above. I was checking out People magazine for gossip on Arnold and Maria's split. . and saw that they are on their honeymoon. I refused to read the article<g>. The poor couple deserve some type of privacy, and while it won't change the number of articles being printed about them, at least I don't feel like I am contributing to it.
dick

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the epilogue had a near overload of sweetness and light; the book was a good read, regardless. But ladies I'm a bit confused: I thought feminism, the woman's movement--whatever--was about giving women the right of choice. I must be wrong, because boy is the cream being lapped in this thread.
Cee

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
So the epilogue had a near overload of sweetness and light; the book was a good read, regardless. But ladies I'm a bit confused: I thought feminism, the woman's movement--whatever--was about giving women the right of choice. I must be wrong, because boy is the cream being lapped in this thread.

Of course it's about choice. But I think what concerns me (and others in this thread) is that these female characters do a complete 180 upon hooking up with their guys. It's inconsistent writing and bad character development.
Honeywell

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really a complete 180 though? I haven't finished the book yet so I don't know how it plays out but in the very first chapter she's talking about burn-out and what not. I have the impression that she's good at her job, not that it's a passion of hers.

Quote:
"Natalie had signed up for the trip because she’d wanted to get away from the newsroom for a few days. She’d been working at the Denver Independent for almost three years now, and she felt stuck in some kind of professional ennui. Not that she didn’t love her job. She did. Having a spot on the paper’s award-winning investigative team—the I-Team—was every investigative journalist’s dream. But journalism wasn’t a low-stress profession even on the best of days. Burnout was a very real hazard of the job. Or maybe the lethargy that had taken over the rest of her life was affecting her job now, too.

Regardless, she’d needed a change of pace, and this trip had offered that."

ETA:
And then later on crossing the desert she describes herself as just existing.

Quote:
"At first, the idea had filled her with a sense of relief to think that this nightmare would soon be over and she would be home again. And then . . .

Then Zach would return to the life that had almost gotten him killed. She would go back to the newspaper and the existence she’d known before she’d met him. And everything would be fine.

Except that nothing would be fine at all."

At this point in the story the epilogue makes perfect sense to me and almost seems necessary for the heroine's HEA. I haven't got to any of the parts where her career is talked about in the positve yet so my opinion still might change.
MEK

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not sorry to see the heroine make this choice. It was unexpected, and I like the unexpected, although Clare did lay the groundwork for job "burnout" earlier in the novel. This was one of the more brutal experiences for the I - team heroines in all the novels (I've loved every one), and if she wants to bake pies for a while, more power to her!

I'm sure she'll find her professional footing in the future Very Happy !

Now, if we can just get Clare to focus on those Mackinnon brothers and go back to Colonial times, I'll be sooo haaappy.........
Diana

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:

Exactly. I doubt that Natalie will permanently retire from using her brain and skills at the age of 27. She's decided to take a break because she can. I don't see that choice as anti-feminist in the least.

Clare pulled out all the stops in this one. She's giving thriller writers a run for their money. Great mix of thriller and romance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: