AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

True Blood Season 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
Came across this today:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/18/joe-manganiello-stripper-movie/

Holy Cats, does anyone know where I put my paper fan?! Wink

Oh yeah, this one's going to go in my Netflix queue! LOL

Before Fright Night they showed previews to Straw Dogs with Alexander Skarsgard, not normally my type of movie but I will watch for him. Very Happy

Linda
PWNN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Peckinpah's original Straw Dogs with Hoffman and Susan George is so filled with dread and increasingly vicious and brutal violence it is truly hard to watch - no matter that it's brilliantly put together and acted.

I can't see how they could make a better film with the same theme and the talent behind the lens and in front of the camera seems a serious step down except for Skarsgard. They might as well remake Clockwork Orange with Robert Pattison. and Marathon Man with Tyler Lautner (though I shouldn't give Hollywood any ideas....)
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWNN wrote:
Sam Peckinpah's original Straw Dogs with Hoffman and Susan George is so filled with dread and increasingly vicious and brutal violence it is truly hard to watch - no matter that it's brilliantly put together and acted.

I can't see how they could make a better film with the same theme and the talent behind the lens and in front of the camera seems a serious step down except for Skarsgard. They might as well remake Clockwork Orange with Robert Pattison. and Marathon Man with Tyler Lautner (though I shouldn't give Hollywood any ideas....)

I haven't seen the original release, but from the sound of the violence I don't think I'd make it halfway through if I tried. I wonder if there's any chance in hoping this newer version tones it down...

Linda[/i]
PWNN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't expect so. The entire plot is about the escalation of violence and how it pushes a very non violent man to the edge. The tagline seems to imply it's the same and they're even using a ripoff of the original poster showing the lead in his shattered glasses.

MPAA Rating warnings: Rated R for strong brutal violence including a sexual attack, menace, some sexual content, and pervasive language

My suggestion is wait for DVD if you want to still see it so you can pause it, shut it off or walk out of the room.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWNN wrote:
I wouldn't expect so. The entire plot is about the escalation of violence and how it pushes a very non violent man to the edge. The tagline seems to imply it's the same and they're even using a ripoff of the original poster showing the lead in his shattered glasses.

MPAA Rating warnings: Rated R for strong brutal violence including a sexual attack, menace, some sexual content, and pervasive language

My suggestion is wait for DVD if you want to still see it so you can pause it, shut it off or walk out of the room.

Oh yeah, definitely wait for DVD, I rarely actually go out to the moves. Thanks for the additional info, we saw an extended teaser for this before Fright Night but while it looked suspenseful, they didn't portray it to have this level of brutal violence. Or maybe I was just too busy enjoying Alexander Skarsgard on the big screen to notice. Very Happy

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got caught up with last week's episode! I really wasn't liking the Mavis/Lafayette thing at first but I like how it was resolved here.

It's a bit much for me to both have Eric with amnesia and under Antonia's control, I'm ready to see Eric back to kicking ass and being the scary vampire we all know and love.

Bill is being a sweetheart, I didn't think I was going to like him this season but I was wrong.

I don't care for the dream sequences at all, no more of those please.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the dream sequences could be reined in a bit. The good stuff...finally...Jessica and Jason! And I have to say that I am liking Debbie more in the series than in the books..even though she tried to set-up Sookie. Bill...oh, Bill.
I am shallow, admit that out front, but what about the naked Alcide scene?? Am I right?? Smile
jebe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I am shallow, admit that out front, but what about the naked Alcide scene?? Am I right?? Smile

Uh yeah, you ARE right! We'll just form a line of shallow people behind you, xina, b/c that was a serious season high point! Not to take away from that, but did any of you notice that the TV show that Debbie was watching in that scene was Cheaters? I've seen that episode several times now and that cracks me up every time, classic.

I really liked this episode, with the exception of the Sookie blood fantasy. Normally I like the blood fantasies, but they've wasted so much time on Sookie's fantasies this season that I'm a little burnt out on them.

I just read an article w/Alan Ball and he said there will be major casualties at the end of this season. So my money's still on Tommy, Debbie, and possibly Tara. AB also said the season finale would see the return of a "familiar foe"...!
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jebe"]
xina wrote:
I am shallow, admit that out front, but what about the naked I just read an article w/Alan Ball and he said there will be major casualties at the end of this season. So my money's still on Tommy, Debbie, and possibly Tara. AB also said the season finale would see the return of a "familiar foe"...!

Hmmm, maybe the Fellowship of the Sun people?

I can guess from the books who one of the causalities will be but I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Linda
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Yes, the dream sequences could be reined in a bit. The good stuff...finally...Jessica and Jason! And I have to say that I am liking Debbie more in the series than in the books..even though she tried to set-up Sookie. Bill...oh, Bill.

Xina, Debbie is more sympathetic in the series than she is on the show.

Alicde was looking very fine!!

Linda
jebe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Hmmm, maybe the Fellowship of the Sun people?

I was thinking the same thing. Especially since they've been forshadowing it all season in a very subtle way. Remember the scenes at the beginning of the season when Jessica goes to Fangtasia and those demonstrators were there? Some of their signs said "Where is Steve Newlin?" If there's one thing I've learned about this show, it's that there's always something to the foreshadowing!
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Alcide, here he is on Good Morning LA, I didn't know he was 6'5"! Between him and Alexander Skarsgard, it's no wonder Bill appears short.

http://true-blood.net/2011/08/26/video-joe-manganiello-on-good-day-la/

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Eric all-in-black, is back! Sookie and her fairy power...I did enjoy that part. Different from the book, Eric does remember their relationship. Should be interesting. And we did predict the demise of Sam's brother.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm holding out until this weekend to watch last night's ep with my daughter, she's coming home from college for the long weekend and we have so much fun when we watch together!

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
I'm holding out until this weekend to watch last night's ep with my daughter, she's coming home from college for the long weekend and we have so much fun when we watch together!

Linda

Sounds like fun Linda! I'll bet you will be glad to have her home. Then you won't want to let her go back. Okay...that is how I remembered it in those early days of kids in college!
You will have to be careful not to read spoilers in this thread then. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: