AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Political anorexia nervosa
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarenS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three sustained decades of financial deregulation under both Dems and Republicans caused the fix we're in. And the Republicans answer is more deregulation. Are they trying to eliminate our government? It's what Grover Norquist wants and his followers most notably the Tea Party Republicans are blindly following him want as well.

How many of us will be happy not to have Social Security and Medicare? We pay into Social Security by holding down jobs. It's solvent and not a problem yet the Republicans want to privatize it. Privatizing will mean huge increase in costs and less benefits. It will funnel money from the government to private entities so their cronies will make money at our expense.

Medicare can be tweaked but does not need to be eliminated. I think they should tier the benefits folks receive. By the time you reach your 90s you should receive only palliative care. Does a 91 year old need expensive surgery?

Medicaid is the program that's iffy. There is a lot of disdain and contempt for poor people in this country so I see this program getting the ax if any program has to be eliminated.

Of course, we need to get out of our three wars, bring our troops home, provide whatever money we need to support our troops transitioning back into civilian life. Then we need to defund the military-industrial complex since the money spent is almost entirely spent here in America. Can we focus on infrastructure, alternative energy, ocean exploration instead? We need to keep jobs in America so we will need to find work for defense industry employees.

Lots to do to get Americans back to work!
Fenwick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worry about my son's future. It seems to me my wellbeing came because of policies in place when World War 2 ended.

After other wars ended the men coming home were not helped (I look at Great Britain and the Napoleonic Wars, Crimean War and World War 1 as well and the US wars) In some British cases the men were dismissed after losing body parts and not even brought home to their families.

Men coming home after WW2 had educational and medical help. The middle class prospered as it had never before. They were allowed to form unions in their jobs so they could stand against the power money buys in contrast to what had happened before. Children were sent to higher education and into the professions reserved for the wealthy before. Prosperity and growth for the middle class.

The wealthy paid the same tax rates. They looked for "tax cuts and renamed themselves " employers or job creators
Eisenhower warned about the Military Industrial complex.

In the 70's, no draft meant wars could be fought by the very patriotic and the poor. And the wealthy could continue to build their wealth by investing in companies which made profits from war. At the same time their tax rates dropped. This wealth could buy favorable tax laws and stop legislation to help those less well off. In fact,by buying and controlling the media, the wealthy could get the poor to vote for their policies and blame the people who fell out of the middle class or needed help.

The politicians who represent me are mostly millionaires. Their families all get perks from my taxes - good schools, health care, free parking, paid help etc. Much of it as a perk at my expense. Do they really still represent me?
KarenS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Republics last about 250 years so we are nearing the end for our republic. We have about 15 years to go if we last that long. Our public officials no longer seem to care about us though there are a few that do. The rest care only about getting re-elected and taking care of those that put them in office.
Election reform might go a long ways toward improving the quality of our government.

I just hope President Obama's heart is in the race in 2012. Why he would want to continue as President is beyond me. With all the problems he's faced while in the White House I could easily see him opting out. He could let someone else deal with the problems. But maybe he's not a quitter and feels he should continue on. Maybe Hillary would step up even though I doubt she would want the job. I do feel we need to elect Democrats if we have any hopes of keeping Medicare and Social Security. The Republicans have shown they are willing to eliminate these "entitlements" which have been the salvation of the middle class.

It should be an interesting Presidential election!
Donna Lea Simpson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Canadian, I have been trying to figure out what 'entitlements' means in the American public arena. Is it Social Security and Medicare, really?? And that's what the Republicans are saying you all have to cut to balance the budget?? Really??? I'm... flabbergasted. They want you to cut funding to the programs most needed by the lower tiers of society, while the Trumps of the country get to coast and get wealthy on the backs of those they underpay?

Is what I've gleaned from the news true?

And that word... 'entitlements'... it has such a negative feel to it. I've always considered the Trumps et al of the world the ones who consider themselves 'entitled'... to the hard work and sacrifice of everyone else! [/i]

http://www.donnaleasimpson.com
LizE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Donna, that's what's happening--but don't buy the partisan hype. It's not only the Republicans who want to cut the so-called entitlements--so does our oh-so-Democratic president. Because he was forced? you may ask. Because he was pushed to the wall? No, this was a solution Obama offered up all by himself. And other democrats go along with it.

You're right, they do talk about Social Security like it's some handout, even though that money comes directly from our paychecks. The problem is that the govt. borrowed from it to pay for God-knows-what, probably handouts to the Wall Street banksters or surveillance instruments so they can spy on us or another illegal war. Now they can't pay back what they borrowed, so they're screaming that SS is running out of money.

We should NEVER have let them borrow that money. We should have been out protesting in the streets. But we weren't. We didn't protest the bailouts, either, and we didn't protest the Patriot Act and we didn't protest the blatantly illegal wars that cost billions per week. We didn't protest our govt. dropping drone bombs on children or shooting down pregnant women or torturing prisoners in black sites around the world.

We really don't protest very much in this country.

So basically, we have exactly the government we deserve.
KarenS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People won't protest until it directly affects them. When there is no food, no gas, no water and life becomes unbearable then you will see the kind of protests we saw in Egypt and Libya.

Entitlements sounds like stuff we don't deserve. However Social Security, Medicare and unemployment insurance is insurance that we pay into. Then it's paid out at a later date. I think of them as security benefits since we worked for them. The Republicans are master word manipulators. They are good at framing the debate so everyone else goes on the defensive. The Democrats don't call them on it because we sadly underestimate the intelligence of the average voter because we think they don't believe what they are told. We really think they are smarter than they really are which is why we lose elections. There will be folks who think we need to raise the retirement age and Medicare age. Sadly, they will vote against their own economic self-interest. We call them "values" voters because they place undue importance on social issues that matter more to them than their economic well-being.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: