AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tacky! Just tacky!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Tacky! Just tacky! Reply with quote

Anybody read the Daily Beast article about Clarence Thomas' not declaring his wife's income, and excusing it by saying he didn't understand? A lawyer, a Supreme Court justice who supposedly can read with enough insight to make important decisions can't understand a form?
erhea13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well, the head of the IRS (Timothy Geitner) couldn't figure out how to pay his taxes . . . neither could several other initially appointed members of Obama's cabinet - in all fairness most of those resigned.
TMS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard about the Clarence Thomas thing. I've always thought him a sub par justice, so I just continue to be underwhelmed by him.

Geithner was a real teeth nasher though. And I loved how he only made haste to pay the back taxes after he received word of the intended nomination for Secretary of the Treasury--until then he was probably supremely happy the statute of limitations had run on 2 of the years and he had gotten away without having to pay SE tax for that portion of the back taxes he owed.

I know how to pay my SE tax AND I pay them. Jeez, how frustrating.

I hear there was a bill proposed that would require federal employees to pay their taxes and if they didn't, they could be fired. I was amazed by the huge number of federal employees who owed taxes.

The IRS enacted something similar for IRS employees. The rate of tax compliance went through the roof. It definately gave me pause.
iluvarake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that it could mean BILLIONS in additional revenue if the IRS stringently investigated and enforced current tax dodgers. In spite of that the budget bouncing around Congress right now CUTS the number of investigators. It's practically the definition of penny wise and pound foolish.

Also I read that Thomas filled out the forms correctly for years then suddenly forgot how.

Don't have much faith in Geithner either. Obama's cabinet has been one of the biggest disappointments of his administration - full of bankers and CEOs who have all worked for the industries they're supposed to be policing. They don't look like change I can believe in.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hightowerlowdown.org/node/2569
http://www.hightowerlowdown.org/node/2279
http://www.washingtonspectator.org/articles/20101101robertsandrove.cfm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: