AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

11 in 2011: Two Ways to Play
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic :: View next topic  
library addict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBR Pile Challenge: The Whittler (Take 4)
1 Book by a new you to author
Boomerang Bride by Fiona Lowe:
From the blurb I expected a romantic comedy. But after a zany, mad-cap beginning, the book abruptly shifts to high drama. I had a hard time warming up to the hero who seemed to think his family was a burden and was very condescending to the heroine. And though I get why having the heroine stranded in the small town was necessary for the plot, the way in which it’s handled was cumbrous. It took me over a week to read as I kept getting exasperated with the characters, situations, or writing and setting it aside. The second half improves with the introduction of a secondary romance. Unfortunately, most of it takes place off-page. Overall, I didn’t care for the overly forced plot, the over-comparison of Australian to American language, or the awkward transitions between seriousness and humor which, unfortunately, often missed the mark.

At the Movies Challenge: 11 down, 0 to go…
The Whittler Challenge: 11 down, 0 to go…
The Whittler Challenge (Revisited): 11 down, 0 to go…
The Whittler Challenge (Take 3): 11 down, 0 to go…
The Whittler Challenge (Take 4): 9 down, 2 to go…
library addict

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Books that are from an expired line
A Matter of Choice by Nora Roberts (Silhouette Intimate Moments):
The book is slightly dated by the fact the cop/author hero is using a type writer to write his book and most everyone smokes. The hero starts off as a bit of a jerk with all of the assumptions he makes about the heroine and running hot-and-cold on her while trying to maintain his distance. Thankfully, situations which could turn into big misunderstandings are quickly dealt with. The suspense plot is a bit of a letdown, the heroine does something borderline TSTL toward the end, and the hero’s leaving-for-her-own-good was a stretch. But overall the h/h are both likeable characters and I enjoyed their story.

The Whittler Challenge (Take 4): 10 down, 1 to go…
library addict

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Books that you got on sale
Honor Bound by CJ Archer:
I bought this self-published book on-sale at ARe based on the cover and blurb. I enjoy marriage in trouble stories. There are many secrets and lies between the h/h in this story. Each is convinced the other won’t understand (his issue being that he’s a spy and hers being she’s a witch). They haven’t seen each other for six years as the heroine ran away. Though the author does a good job of explaining why they were not honest with one another when first married and their motivations for still keeping their secrets, so many of their problems would have been resolved if they’d just talked with one another and not jumped to conclusions, which was frustrating. It was refreshing to read an historical that didn’t center around balls and the palace court, but the characters and situations often seemed too modern for the 1583 setting. The witchcraft subplot was not as well-integrated with the rest of the story as it could have been. Despite the numerous quibbles I had with the story I would be willing to try this author again.

The Whittler Challenge (Take 4): 11 down, 0 to go…

Done. I read 55 books for the challenge this year. It did help with my TBR pile as I read some books which have been there for years. There were also books I read which didn’t quite fit in the challenge and I know I reduced my print TBR pile over a half (if you don’t count the books I’ve added this year, by about a third if you do Laughing ) I read (and added) lots more digital books as well. So my TBR piles are looking forward to 12 in 12…
Susanna Kearsley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, I brought this right down to the wire, but I finally finished my last two books for this year's challenge (yay!):

Category 3: Wildcard (Captain Newman, M.D.)

2. H/H is a psychiatrist/psychologist: Must Love Lycans by Michele Bardsley.
"Since the moment Damien showed up-gloriously naked-Kelsey Morningstone has been having a hard time keeping her relationship with the clinic's latest amnesiac patient strictly professional. Even with her empathy abilities Kelsey's not sure she can get past Damien's anger to find the cause of his delusions. After all, falling for a patient is bad enough, but falling for a patient who thinks he's a werewolf is a whole other kind of crazy..."

Category 4: Ultimate Challenge (Military Movie)

2. Warrior by Zoë Archer
I opted for a historical military man for this one, mainly because this book's fabulous cover made me think of that portrait of Jesse from "Romancing the Stone" Smile
"The vicious attack Capt. Gabriel Huntley witnesses in a dark alley sparks a chain of events that will take him to the ends of the Earth and beyond—where what is real and what is imagined become terribly confused. And frankly, Huntley couldn’t be more pleased. Intrigue, danger, and a beautiful woman in distress—just what he needs."

My TBR's ready for 2012, now. Bring it on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: