AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our wonderful pets--let's share...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it my imagination, or do one of the babies seem a bit weaker than the other 2? One day a parent was feeding them and seemed to favor the other 2 with the food. It was like, 2 for you, 3 for you, 2more for you, 3 for you...and oh yes, here's one for you...repeat. Did you notice that Tee? Maybe it was just that day.
Tee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Is it my imagination, or do one of the babies seem a bit weaker than the other 2? One day a parent was feeding them and seemed to favor the other 2 with the food. It was like, 2 for you, 3 for you, 2more for you, 3 for you...and oh yes, here's one for you...repeat. Did you notice that Tee? Maybe it was just that day.

I think you're right, unfortunately. The one that hatched the last is the smallest one. I read someplace that, in the animal world, parents make the weaker babies work for their food because they won't be coddled out in the real world. I also thought I read that eagles can be kind of nasty that way. They'll take to the strongest of the babies and kind of neglect the weaker ones. But where one parent doesn't work that well with some of them, the other parent may take over. As I mentioned before, it is rather fascinating. But I feel badly for the younger one, just as you do. When the storms were in Iowa a couple of days ago, I couldn't watch the birds. The wind was fierce and the branch was swaying like crazy. I was so afraid for them. At one point, both parents were nestled together over the birds, protecting them from the elements.
xina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
[babies I think you're right, unfortunately. The one that hatched the last is the smallest one. I read someplace that, in the animal world, parents make the weaker babies work for their food because they won't be coddled out in the real world. I also thought I read that eagles can be kind of nasty that way. They'll take to the strongest of the babies and kind of neglect the weaker ones. But where one parent doesn't work that well with some of them, the other parent may take over. As I mentioned before, it is rather fascinating. But I feel badly for the younger one, just as you do. When the storms were in Iowa a couple of days ago, I couldn't watch the birds. The wind was fierce and the branch was swaying like crazy. I was so afraid for them. At one point, both parents were nestled together over the birds, protecting them from the elements.

Oh, good to know Tee. I watched it thinking....Feed that one!!! Interesting to know that both male and female act as caregivers. And, I am so glad I didn't see them during the storm! I would have worried. I am hopelessly addicted to watching them.
Last summer, at our cabin the man that mows the lawn came up to the cabin and told me he couldn't mow. There was a baby eagle (that was HUGE) sitting on a woodpile watching him go by and didn't fly away. The guy was freaked out. I asked around, and sometimes the babies, that are very much like teenagers, act bravely and challenge humans. I hope all three of those babies grow to be teenagers. I am kind of attached to them at this point.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a momentous occasion this past weekend - Ranger lifted his leg to pee for the first time! My little boy, all grown up! Very Happy lol

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
We had a momentous occasion this past weekend - Ranger lifted his leg to pee for the first time! My little boy, all grown up! Very Happy lol

Linda

Ahhhh....we want a photo Linda!! LOL
Tee

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
Ranger lifted his leg to pee for the first time! My little boy, all grown up! Very Happy lol

Can't be all grown up unless you're able to begin killing the bushes. Laughing Congratulations. Sounds as though he's coming along, then, quite nicely. You've been through a lot with him.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try and post new pics soon!

Ranger is doing well but there is still a fragileness to him, he walks stiffly sometimes at the end of the day and sometimes he'll whimper if he moves too suddenly. I think the Lyme may have effected his joints for the long haul. I should find out if it's stuck permanently in his joints next month and hopefully we will receive good news.

Linda
xina

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The baby eagles are growing! I tuned in yesterday for the first time in about a week, and my goodness...they are HUGE! I didn't see the parents yesterday or today though. Can they not fit in the nest anymore? Smile Those babies grow fast. I think I read somewhere that they stay with their parents for a year? Where do they sleep? Do they build a 3 bedroom tree nest?? LOL
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
The baby eagles are growing! I tuned in yesterday for the first time in about a week, and my goodness...they are HUGE! I didn't see the parents yesterday or today though. Can they not fit in the nest anymore? Smile Those babies grow fast. I think I read somewhere that they stay with their parents for a year? Where do they sleep? Do they build a 3 bedroom tree nest?? LOL

I year? Wow, that's a logn time! I'll have to peek in at them. Smile

Linda
Tee

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they really have grown a lot. I found this bit of information on an eagle website about how long they stay in the nest following their first flight, xina:

---Once the young eagles have fledged (to acquire the feathers necessary for flight), they remain around the nest for four or five weeks, taking short flights while their primary feathers grow and strengthen. Their parents still provide all of their food.

The young birds, with the exception of their color, resemble their parents, but are nothing like them in behavior. They have to learn how to hunt, and they only have the remainder of the summer to learn. After that, they're on their own. The first winter is the most dangerous and difficult part of an eagle's life.---
xina

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Yes, they really have grown a lot. I found this bit of information on an eagle website about how long they stay in the nest following their first flight, xina:

---Once the young eagles have fledged (to acquire the feathers necessary for flight), they remain around the nest for four or five weeks, taking short flights while their primary feathers grow and strengthen. Their parents still provide all of their food.

The young birds, with the exception of their color, resemble their parents, but are nothing like them in behavior. They have to learn how to hunt, and they only have the remainder of the summer to learn. After that, they're on their own. The first winter is the most dangerous and difficult part of an eagle's life.---

Oh, thanks Tee. I thought they stayed for a year. That would be one crowded nest if that were so. At my cabin in Northern MN we at least 4 eagles at any given time. Last Fall, I was there in Oct. and the "babies" were quite large, but one didn't act like an adult at all. He/she would sit on a wood pile and stare at any human that dared go down by the lake. I didn't realize it was a baby until my neighbor told me. I thought by the coloring that it was a Golden Eagle, but she just laughed and told me that was a baby. I have a picture of it on my camera. I will try to post it when I get some time. When it would sit on the woodpile, I didn't bring my dogs down there to play. Even the guy that mows the lawn quit mowing and left his mower until the eagle moved. He would pass by the woodpile, and the eagle would sit and stare at him, not moving. He sat at about 4 ft. tall. The picture I took of it, was from a distance. So...the behavior resembled a beligerant teenager. ***I'm not moving until I feel like it***
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updating with some Ranger pics! I can now take him to the vet to have him tested for Lyme once more, to see if it's set permanently in. Though, it's not looking good since he still has a lot of problems with his joints but they ran him on another course of antibiotics. Will be taking himin the next couple of weeks.

He's a happy dog though, as long as he has his frisbee! Very Happy

Linda
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, he is such a beautiful dog. I hope the test results are good. Keep us informed. You know the people in this thread do care.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Linda, he is such a beautiful dog. I hope the test results are good. Keep us informed. You know the people in this thread do care.

Thanks, I will let you all know!

Linda
Lea AAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey to all our pet lovers - it's time to start a new thread. This continues to be a much loved thread. If someone will start the new thread, I'll then lock this one for future posts but it will remain available for viewing. If I don't see a new thread shortly, I'll start one for us.

Thanks!

Audiobooks Bookshelf at Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4403718
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: