AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you read harlequin - series- category romance?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you read harlequin - series- category romance?
yes
67%
 67%  [ 36 ]
no
32%
 32%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 53

Claire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harlequins used to be all I read. Then I migrated towards Silhoutte Intimate Moments and Blaze but then some of the Blaze line started to feel less romantic, more erotica. It's mostly historicals for me now, with contemp's in the mix too. Jessica Bird/JR Ward has written some great SIM's. I wish she would go back and write some contemporaries without the vampires.

I also can't stand how there are SO MANY baby books.
Nana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Series Romance books Reply with quote

despr8housewife wrote:
Nope, i never read them. The titles are too silly and the books are too short!
If I'm going to read a book i want depth and character and plot development and I never want the book to end. I won't bother with a book under 300 pages!

See, part of my affection for categories comes from the length. I tend to get sucked into books. If it's a 330 pager and I'm really engaged, I'll keep reading until I finish and then suddenly realize it's 3 in the morning and I have work in a few hours. Categories protect me from myself Wink It's also nice to have a book that I can read, beginning to end, in a 2-ish hour reading experience. I like being able to go through the suffering separation part and get the HEA payoff in one reading session. The time fits well into my life.

Also, I have to disagree - I definitely think you can have outstanding depth, character, and plot in a category-length romance.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Series Romance books Reply with quote

Nana wrote:
Also, I have to disagree - I definitely think you can have outstanding depth, character, and plot in a category-length romance.

I agree with this. In fact, sometimes I have more respect for the authors who have proven that they excel in this format. This shorter format requires a lot of skill on the part of the author, I think.

(One of the reasons I wish Linda Howard wrote more of them is because I think she was one of the best at this shorter format, and yet her category novels were never lacking in plot or characterization or sexual tension.)
Katie Mack AAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Series Romance books Reply with quote

Nana wrote:
I definitely think you can have outstanding depth, character, and plot in a category-length romance.

Absolutely. The quality depends on the author; not the word count.
baseballmom5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think that it's the author that makes or breaks the book. I read Under the Influence by Nancy Warren this year, and was blown away by the emotions in the book! I picked up Power Play by her today!!! I also enjoyed She's Got it Bad, but forgot the author. I'll have to check out Jessica Bird books, I forgot about that!

I love the quick aspect of the books and use them for breaking the reading blahs (which I am currently going through right now.)
Katie Mack AAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baseballmom5 wrote:
I also think that it's the author that makes or breaks the book. I read Under the Influence by Nancy Warren this year, and was blown away by the emotions in the book! I picked up Power Play by her today!!! I also enjoyed She's Got it Bad, but forgot the author. I'll have to check out Jessica Bird books, I forgot about that!

I love the quick aspect of the books and use them for breaking the reading blahs (which I am currently going through right now.)

You have Power Play already!? I am SO jealous! I loved Under the Influence, so I'm really looking forward to PP. Although sometimes Warren can be a miss for me -- French Kissing, for example, was a C+ on my personal scale -- I'm still really excited about PP.

She's Got it Bad is by Sarah Mayberry -- one of the best Blaze authors out there right now, IMHO. In fact, I like her so much I'm going to branch out and read her holiday SuperRomance coming out next month.
library addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I do think the 90s were the heyday of category romances, I still read them.

I think the lines are pretty well established and contrary to popular belief, they donít all feature nothing but billionaires and virgin brides.

I read mostly Silhouette Romantic Suspense and Harlequin Intrigue with the occasional Blaze, Desire, Historical, Special Edition, Super Romance and Nocturne. I tend to pick first by author, but if a blurb catches my fancy I will try it.

I donít read nearly as many keepers as in the old days (I miss Loveswept and the Intimate Moments line). The books have become shorter in recent years, but are still perfect to keep in the purse and read while in line at the bank, etc. I have a much higher DNF rate with categories probably because I get most of them from the library so I donít suffer the I-spent-money-on-this-I-will-read-it guilt Razz But there are certainly still gems to be found in the wide variety of category books being published.

Som of my current favorites are Karen Templeton, Beth Andrews, and Merline Lovelace. And I still read Justine Davis and Rachel Lee though their books lately don't measure up to the keepers of theirs from the early 90s IMO.
baseballmom5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katie Mack AAR wrote:

You have Power Play already!? I am SO jealous! I loved Under the Influence, so I'm really looking forward to PP. Although sometimes Warren can be a miss for me -- French Kissing, for example, was a C+ on my personal scale -- I'm still really excited about PP.

She's Got it Bad is by Sarah Mayberry -- one of the best Blaze authors out there right now, IMHO. In fact, I like her so much I'm going to branch out and read her holiday SuperRomance coming out next month.

You can buy Harlequins a month before print on their site as ebooks! I started reading today, and I am really liking it! I will have to check out that superromance, because I liked her writing! Thanks for the heads up!

I did skip on French Kissing...
Katie Mack AAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baseballmom5 wrote:
You can buy Harlequins a month before print on their site as ebooks!

After I responded to your post I remembered that. You can actually order them a month early in print format too. So I went ahead and ordered Power Play and Home for the Holidays today.
willaful

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Series Romance books Reply with quote

Nana wrote:
It's also nice to have a book that I can read, beginning to end, in a 2-ish hour reading experience. I like being able to go through the suffering separation part and get the HEA payoff in one reading session. The time fits well into my life.

That's a big plus for me. My day is broken up by gym trips and I hate starting one book and then having to switch over to another for the gym (because the first one is too big or heavy or I'm too close to the end or it's too embarrassing to read in public Laughing ) so having something that fits into a short reading time is handy.
DeeD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A huge portion of my reading library is categories including those tacky titled Presents. I like the quick read and I hate all of the extra back-ground/history lesson/etc. in the longer single-title books. I tend to skim from dialogue to dialogue a lot anyway - most of the time I don't miss anything major.
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to see people say that they just won't read certain books on the grounds of who publishes them.

Here's a challenge.

Justine Davis, Her Best Friend's Husband, is still in stock on amazon.com and also available on Kindle.

Try it, folks, and read with a measuring eye as to "how does this stand up against the recent 'single title contemporaries' you have read during the past few months.

Or get something fairly recent by Janice Kay Johnson and do the same.
baseballmom5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katie Mack- I am almost done w/ Power Play and I LLLLOOOOVVVVVEEE it!!!! Sexy, funny and sweet with another great secondary romance all in 213 pages. I just had to share Smile
Susanna Kearsley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a good writer is a good writer no matter what the format. I'd read Sara Craven's shopping list.

One of the unexpected bonuses of getting a Sony Reader for Christmas last year was my discovery of free Harlequin downloads, which have introduced me to some new favourite voices: Elizabeth Rolls, Leslie Kelly, and Susan Napier among them.

And I've recently found a wonderful used bookstore that has an entire spinning rack stuffed with Presents from the late 70s and 80s (MY era!), so I've been spending some really enjoyable hours re-acquainting myself with the titles that made me love romance. I've managed to find and restock my shelves with a lot of my old favourite books by Anne Mather, Violet Winspear, and Sara Craven, most of which hold up surprisingly well in terms of craft and story.

"Seen By Candlelight" by Anne Mather (which was actually first published under another title, "Design for Loving", in the year I was born, 1966 Shocked ) or Sara Craven's "High Tide at Midnight" could hold their own against any single title published today, IMO.
Katie Mack AAR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baseballmom5 wrote:
Katie Mack- I am almost done w/ Power Play and I LLLLOOOOVVVVVEEE it!!!! Sexy, funny and sweet with another great secondary romance all in 213 pages. I just had to share Smile

Okay, now I'm really excited. I hope my shipment arrives quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: