AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Black Silk by Judith Ivory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kathy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Black Silk by Judith Ivory Reply with quote

When I was in the bookstore this past weekend, I was pleasantly surprised to see a new copy of Black Silk. It's a trade paperback size with a really pretty cover. Does this mean there will be a new Judith Ivory book at some point in the future? Or is it just me and my wishful thinking?
Jean Wan AAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can gather, there were very quiet murmurings a year ago or so that she was in the process of writing another book, but I understand (also from very, very quiet murmurings floating around) that nothing has been heard ever since. I wouldn't get your hopes up any time soon.
Sandy AAR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, no, Kathy.

I spoke with Carrie Ferron, her long time editor, at RWA last month and she has had no communication with her for a few years. Carrie was just as disheartened about this as readers are.

One of her last public appearances was in the AAR Historical Romance Roundtable that I did here in 2004.

There were rumors for a few years and she spoke of the book she was working on at the Roundtable, but for at least three now I've heard from direct sources (her agent and editor) that there has been no contact.
Kathy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn, darn, darn and darn again! Sad

Thanks Jean Wan and Sandy for the information. I was so hoping this was heralding her return to writing. All of her books are are so rich in every aspect, and I do miss her voice.
msaggie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Really talking about Black Silk by Judith Ivory/Judy Cuevas Reply with quote

I am really sad that Judith Ivory may have stopped writing romance novels - but I want to talk about Black Silk, one of her early novels, which has 2 DIK reviews at AAR - one by Sherry Thomas before she was published (I think, as it says "by a reader"). I read Black Silk a long time ago in the early 1990s around the time it was published - and it didn't make much of an impression on me - it was OK, but I liked Beast, Sleeping Beauty, etc better. I got this current copy of Black Silk off BookMooch as we had some discussions about it recently and finished it last night (this morning actually at 3am), and really, really loved it. It must be one of those things about age, and experience, and having less expectations of men in general. I think I didn't like it as much 15 years or so ago because the hero Graham was for the most of the book heavily involved with his mistress, Rosalyn. I was of the opinion that once a man had met and "fallen in love" with the heroine, he shouldn't be sleeping with anyone else - even if it's fiction (especially so, I should say). But here was the hero - really not a very nice person as he's so careless about everything - even about justice - why pay out to a false paternity suit? Because you couldn't be bothered to fight it out in court to the bitter end? Isn't that a characteristic of a loser? Why is the hero someone who is so self-indulgent - a complete waster - someone who makes you think this is why the French Revolution happened and they chopped off all their heads (i.e. the aristocrats who had too much and couldn't care less about others). There were no politically correct acts of charity from a kind heart in Graham - he paid out to his cousin William and to the false paternity suit really to get rid of the bother they caused him.

Then, there's the heroine - Graham's children don't like her - she's "boring" - she's perceived as cold, and a bit strange. She probably is a bit strange, having been married at 15 or 16 to a man who could have been her grandfather. She herself says she is like Galatea to Henry's Pygmalion. She doesn't look like she's fun at all.

Yet, this book is marvellous as it shows how two such disparate people, who are really quite flawed, are just right for each other. I liked how it is very subtle - many of today's romances are so in-your-face. And Judith Ivory is so good at conveying mood shifts and showing how people can say things they really don't mean - yet when someone loves you, they understand you beyond the words you say.

Now, it's a revelation to me too that I can love it much more than when i first read it more than 10 years ago. But I can still see it's not the book for everyone - the two AAR DIK reviews on Black Silk have captured the essence of the book - it's a very good book, with many layers, and character studies. A bit like Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca, although a main protagonist is dead and talked of as a memory by the hero and heroine, yet, he is so much there, permeating the book, and as the hero suspects, still ordering their lives from beyond the grave. No, it's not a spooky book - I would just say, read it, and find out for yourself!
Winnie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Black Silk when it was first published and loved it. It is the original publication by Judy Cuevas. I did not care for Bliss or Dance that much. I'll have to re-read them. Black Silk I did re-read about 2 years ago and I still loved it. It is one of my DIK. I've seen so many negative reviews on Black Silk. I think it is because it is not a traditional 'romance' book. I just loved the writing.

I didn't know that Judy Cuevas and Judith Ivory were the same. I have not read any of Ivory's books. I'll start looking.
Trish B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winnie wrote:

I didn't know that Judy Cuevas and Judith Ivory were the same. I have not read any of Ivory's books. I'll start looking.

Oh, then you must look for Untie My Heart (her last book), The Indiscretion (Texan meets London society girl) and the generally well loved The Proposition (hero is a rat catcher and the heroine's name is Winnie!). I haven't read Sleeping Beauty or Beast - yet! There's also Angel in a Red Dress which is a retitled reissue (under the Ivory name) of her first Cuevas book, Starlit Surrender.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleeping Beauty and Beast are my absolute fave Ivory books! You must read them ASAP and tell me what you thought of them!
Trish B

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoirFemme wrote:
Sleeping Beauty and Beast are my absolute fave Ivory books! You must read them ASAP and tell me what you thought of them!

I don't even own these two books, so I guess I'll have to look for them used at this point . . .
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trish B wrote:
NoirFemme wrote:

I don't even own these two books, so I guess I'll have to look for them used at this point . . .

I think Beast is still in print, but both are pretty ubiquitous in any UBS I patronize.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: