AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions for Next AAR Book Club
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy AAR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Suggestions for Next AAR Book Club Reply with quote

First of all, we hope everybody will join us live tonight for our discussion of Meredith Duran's Written on Your Skin. (Link and details on the home page)

But we're already planning our next one and this time out we want to choose a romance that is part of the generally recognized romance canon. In other words, a classic book that many AAR regulars have already read. If it's one about which there is not universal agreement, then that might be even better.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
LFL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a thought but I decided to withdraw the suggestion since I remembered the book is out of print and not very many copies are available.
Kayne

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for Next AAR Book Club Reply with quote

Sandy AAR wrote:
First of all, we hope everybody will join us live tonight for our discussion of Meredith Duran's Written on Your Skin. (Link and details on the home page)

But we're already planning our next one and this time out we want to choose a romance that is part of the generally recognized romance canon. In other words, a classic book that many AAR regulars have already read. If it's one about which there is not universal agreement, then that might be even better.

For contemporary suggestions I would recommend authors Susan Elizabeth Phillips or Rachel Gibson because I think their books are read by many different readers, both young and old. A while ago I saw Rachel Gibson post here at the boards and she was very funny. I would also enjoy Jane Graves but don't know if as many people have read her.

For historicals I would suggest Loretta Chase, Eloisa James, Julia Quinn or Julie Ann Long.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about, A Kingdom Of Dreams by McNaught or...Lord Of Scoundrels by Chase?
JaneO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want one about which there is disagreement, how about Laura Lee Guhrke's THE MARRIAGE BED?
Margaret

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
xina wrote:
...Lord Of Scoundrels by Chase?

I'll 2nd that! And add Dreaming of You by Kleypas, To Have and To Hold by Gaffney, A Rose at Midnight by Anne Stuart, or an early SEP. I think most of these have been widely read.
janet w

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: 2nd the vote for Patricia Gaffney's To Have and To Hold Reply with quote

There's always been a lot of discussion around that book -- and I'd enjoy hearing the opinions of others.
Claire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...there's always Nobody's Baby but Mine by SEP.
MMcA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about, A Kingdom Of Dreams by McNaught or...Lord Of Scoundrels by Chase?

I'd be interested in Lord of Scoundrels - I've only read it once and didn't feel the love - and I've always meant to reread, because maybe I'd change my mind - and if not, at least I'd be able to talk sensibly about why I don't like it.
Apart from that - perhaps a Heyer - because she seems to be a classic romance author that not everyone has tried.
Outlander is another that many people have read, and while perhaps more people like it than not, there isn't universal agreement about it. (I did read that one again, because so many people love it that I thought it deserved a second chance, but I didn't like it the second time either.)

Still, maybe you want to mix up the genres and the heat settings - have something that isn't a historical next?
'Cry no more' by Linda Howard? Well written, but there were aspects of it that I really disliked. Or, thinking about it, practically any Suzanne Brockmann since 'Gone Too Far' has met with really mixed responses on the boards.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Devereaux?

Or Sea Swept by Nora Roberts?
jebe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
How about A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Devereaux?

I'll second this! I just picked this up to read for the '09 Reading Challenge, so it'll help me put two checks in boxes! Very Happy
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see a rotation between historicals, contemporaries, and perhaps AR. I looked through the last Top 100 Poll for ideas for contemporaries I would love to discuss, and came up with:

#8 Bet Me, Jennifer Cruisie
#9 Welcome to Temptation, Jennifer Cruisie
#14 It had to be You, SEP
#21 Nobody’s Baby But Mine, SEP
#41 Sea Swept, Nora Roberts
msaggie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions for Next AAR Book Club Reply with quote

Sandy AAR wrote:

Sandy, I really enjoyed our first book club, although neither of us enjoyed Meredith Duran's Written on Your Skin as much as Bound by Your Touch.

I would like to officially suggest that we read Patricia Gaffney's To Have and To Hold. It addresses several of issues which can generate a good discussion, and is a classic. It is also a wonderful redemption story - I love such stories.
AAR Rachel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody's Baby But Mine could generate a good discussion. As could A Knight in Shining Armour. Have read both, but not in a looong time.
xina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
Quote:
xina wrote:
...Lord Of Scoundrels by Chase?

I'll 2nd that! And add Dreaming of You by Kleypas, To Have and To Hold by Gaffney, A Rose at Midnight by Anne Stuart, or an early SEP. I think most of these have been widely read.

Yes, To Have and to Hold by Gaffney would be great. I was also thinking of the Stuart book, but I don't think it's been reprinted, has it? Might be hard for some to get copies of it. It would make a nice discussion book though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: