AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doubt...Meryl Streep movie.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Doubt...Meryl Streep movie. Reply with quote

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. I'm a huge Meryl Streep fan and she did a wonderful job playing a nun not too far from her character's personality in Devil Loves Prada. The movie isn't what I thought it would be. I am not Catholic so I am not offenended by the subject material, but all in all, the movie doesn't so much concentrate on that, but on Streep's character of getting the truth..her truth. Thought provoking, but maybe not for everyone. Streep is a joy to watch though.
Oh, one more thing....don't you hate when people talk in their normal voices throughout a movie? We had 2 older couples in front of us and it went like this through the entire movie..."What did she say?, Why is she crying?, What did that mean?, What is he carrying?" I felt like saying....are you kidding me???Did I press the commentary button on my seat? I gritted my teeth and didn't say anything, but we moved a little farther back, but could still hear them!
jebe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina, did you see that news release about the guy that shot another movie-goer b/c he was being too loud? It happened somewhere around Philly I think.

And this story reminded me about an older man that got up to go to the bathroom the first few minutes of Basic Instinct then said loudly to his wife "what did I miss?" My BF and I still have fun acting that one out (you have to recall that first scene in the movie). Good times...although I shouldn't make fun b/c I can barely hear or see anything myself anymore!
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
xina, did you see that news release about the guy that shot another movie-goer b/c he was being too loud? It happened somewhere around Philly I think.

I was just in the Philadelphia area visiting my relatives for Christmas and this incident was one of the hot topics of conversation.

Shooting someone who won't stop talking at the movies is, of course, not acceptable Rolling Eyes but one thing I must say -- with all these huge multiplexes -- there is not enough staff monitoring theaters these days. In the "old days" -- in single screen theaters -- ushers, projectionists, and managers used to be much more prevalent. If an usher walked in on an actual theater more often, they might be able to spot a problem before it gets out of hand, but these days -- with 14 different films being shown at once -- there just aren't enough people manning these places.

Just this past year, I've been at theaters where the movie has had problems -- sound, picture, whatever -- and the audience members had to go out to let the manager know that the film was not running properly. No one is in the projectionist's booth anymore because movies no longer run on reels -- I think. It's the same with ushers ... there virtually aren't any. There is just one manager, ticket takers, concession sales, and cleaning crews ... that's it! No one comes in to monitor how things are going, to nip bad customer behavior in the bud before it gets out of hand.
redcomet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xina, you must have been behind my Mother and her Husband. I will not go to the movies with my Mother because that is what she does the whole movie.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I talk constantly during a movie at home. It drives my husband crazy! When I am in public, if I say something, I whisper. I was with my daughter and she commented that usually, it is teenagers that are talking loudly. You can just give them a look and they will be quiet. With older people, I don't want to be rude! Now that I think back on it, other people moved too. You could hear the murmer of their voices through the theatre. Thinking back, it's sort of funny now, but at the time, I was thinking that they have to know that they are bothering people. Rolling Eyes
JulieR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so looking forward to seeing this movie! I saw the play a few years ago, with Cherry Jones in the Streep role. Jones won a Tony award for this role, but the other players were also excellent (none of them were names I knew). Given all the acting nominations the movie has received so far, it sounds like the casting is just right.

But in Doubt, the real star is the writing; you spend the whole play trying to figure out what the truth is, and we debated it for days afterward. Then we bored all of our friends and family silly by telling them the plot and trying to describe why it was so wonderful!
xina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JulieR wrote:
I'm so looking forward to seeing this movie! I saw the play a few years ago, with Cherry Jones in the Streep role. Jones won a Tony award for this role, but the other players were also excellent (none of them were names I knew). Given all the acting nominations the movie has received so far, it sounds like the casting is just right.

But in Doubt, the real star is the writing; you spend the whole play trying to figure out what the truth is, and we debated it for days afterward. Then we bored all of our friends and family silly by telling them the plot and trying to describe why it was so wonderful!

I would love to see the play! The real question in the movie...is the doubt, not question of what may have happened, because there is always the question. Through the movie, I was on the side of the Streep character, but at the end...there is doubt. So, the film's title is appropriate. Meryl Streep is at her finest.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re talking in movies -- I rarely go anymore. I just prefer to get the dvds from library and watch them at home.

But when I did go, I always sat in the top row (theatre style seating) so no one could talk behind me. And if people in front of me talked, I let them know right away that they were disturbing me. If there were other seats, I always moved but when the theatre was packed, it just wasn't fair for others to spoil the movie for those sitting around the talkers and that's why I always said something.
KarenS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
jebe wrote:

I was just in the Philadelphia area visiting my relatives for Christmas and this incident was one of the hot topics of conversation.

Shooting someone who won't stop talking at the movies is, of course, not acceptable Rolling Eyes but one thing I must say -- with all these huge multiplexes -- there is not enough staff monitoring theaters these days. In the "old days" -- in single screen theaters -- ushers, projectionists, and managers used to be much more prevalent. If an usher walked in on an actual theater more often, they might be able to spot a problem before it gets out of hand, but these days -- with 14 different films being shown at once -- there just aren't enough people manning these places.

Just this past year, I've been at theaters where the movie has had problems -- sound, picture, whatever -- and the audience members had to go out to let the manager know that the film was not running properly. No one is in the projectionist's booth anymore because movies no longer run on reels -- I think. It's the same with ushers ... there virtually aren't any. There is just one manager, ticket takers, concession sales, and cleaning crews ... that's it! No one comes in to monitor how things are going, to nip bad customer behavior in the bud before it gets out of hand.

Acquaintances of ours bought a movie theatre so we try really hard to patronize them as much as possible for all the reasons you mentioned as well as to help them stay in business. It's only one screen so it gets all the attention if something goes awry. They sell wine, beer and Starbuck's Frappucino's(bottled) as well as the standard movie fare. They offer the gamut of movies from children's movies on Saturday mornings to The Rocky Horror picture show at midnight. We much prefer their theatre to the multi-plexes as there is nothing more annoying than loud voices and noises.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:

And this story reminded me about an older man that got up to go to the bathroom the first few minutes of Basic Instinct then said loudly to his wife "what did I miss?" My BF and I still have fun acting that one out (you have to recall that first scene in the movie). Good times...although I shouldn't make fun b/c I can barely hear or see anything myself anymore!

jebe, I think I remember hearing that story...in Philly. That's a bit extreme, although, I did have pictures in my mind of telling them to "shut-up"...although, I would never do that.
Yes, I remember the first scene in Basic Instinct!! did she tell him what he missed...in great detail?
I don't know...some people, just don't get basic manners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: