AAR
Click here for full forums index
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 
My Governor Arrested!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ellie



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 102

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a different suit they refused to hear (I had mixed the two suits up when I posted yesterday). The order for the stay in the suit I was referring was denied by Justice Thomas. Here's the link for you: http://www.supremecourtus.gov/orders/courtorders/120808zor.pdf. No justice filed a dissent as to the dismissal granted by Thomas. The Pennsylvania case hasn't gotten to the Supreme Court yet, although a federal judge in Pennsylvania has dismissed it.

And you're right the Supremes don't decide the facts of the case. Lower federal courts decide questions of fact. However, the lower courts have dismissed both lawsuits. That's why they're getting to the Supreme Court so quickly.

And you do know that while Berg, the Pennsylvania lawyer, was a deputy attorney general of Pennsylvania he is also a kook? He is a 9/11 "truther" who filed a RICO suit against Bush and Cheney for being responsible for the 9/11 attacks and conspiring to cover that up, and called on world leaders to arrest Bush and Cheney for murder as he believes they are responsible for 9/11.

But, please, keep using these "facts" to make your case that Obama is corrupt.

As to the tapes of discussions, the feds listened to all the tapes before arresting Blago, and Patrick Fitzgerald stated at the press conference that Obama was not implicated. So while it's always possible something could still come out, what was taped so far likely does not implicate Obama in any wrongdoing. In addition, the candidate Obama preferred withdrew from consideration, and the tapes also show Blago cursing out Obama for not playing ball.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LisaW



Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 173

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellie wrote:


And you do know that while Berg, the Pennsylvania lawyer, was a deputy attorney general of Pennsylvania he is also a kook? He is a 9/11 "truther" who filed a RICO suit against Bush and Cheney for being responsible for the 9/11 attacks and conspiring to cover that up, and called on world leaders to arrest Bush and Cheney for murder as he believes they are responsible for 9/11.


But, please, keep using these "facts" to make your case that Obama is corrupt.




Actually, I thought it more interesting that Berg was a Hillary supporter and all these initial lawsuits started back during the primary times. And, um, actually -- I'm thinking you were the one to bring up Berg. His is hardly the only lawsuit about this out there.


Ellie wrote:

As to the tapes of discussions, the feds listened to all the tapes before arresting Blago, and Patrick Fitzgerald stated at the press conference that Obama was not implicated. So while it's always possible something could still come out, what was taped so far likely does not implicate Obama in any wrongdoing. In addition, the candidate Obama preferred withdrew from consideration, and the tapes also show Blago cursing out Obama for not playing ball.


Well, since Fitz spent 2 years investigating who leaked Plame's name to the media after it was already known that it was Armitage, and then the best he could do was a questionable perjury charge against Libby (ask 10 people and at least 9 will tell you Libby was convicted of revealing a CIA agent's name ... and that isn't what he was indicted for ... but probably why he was convicted). Obama not offering a quid pro quo for his choice for the Senate seat isn't quite the same as actually letting Federal and state authorities know what Blago was attempting. One is commission the other omission.

I certainly hope if there was any suggestion made to the Obama camp that some price was expected for naming their chosen candidate, this was reported to the proper authorities.
_________________
"The White House isn't the place to learn how to deal with international crisis, the balance of power, war and peace, the economic future of the next generation." --- Joe Biden, 1988
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NoirFemme



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1481
Location: America

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm...well, if Obama's nose is clean, everyone wouldn't be bending over backwards to scrub the record clean of his meetings with the Governor (as seen on the Governor's own website).






http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L6pDyjqqsvY/SUhkrXCAFvI/AAAAAAAAXfI/tlCn3aea0sI/s1600-h/obama+blagojevich.JPG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ellie



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 102

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the governor's a reliable source of information. He seemed to have delusions, like thinking Obama was going to appoint him to the cabinet (Health and Human Services). He thought he was going to get many things from Obama, and then cursed Obama out when it didn't happen. Even if they had met on Nov. 6 I'm not sure what it would prove regarding wrong-doing other than Obama did a bad job of explaining things (which I'm certainly not excusing if in fact it did happen), since Blago was so angry with Obama a few days later.

Edited to add: the post just says they planned to meet, not that they met. If the governor was incorrect, and they did not meet, then it seems perfectly reasonable the post about the meeting would have been deleted. I think there are a lot of scenarios that could be devised off that post, and Obama engaged in wrongdoing or even giving misinformation are just one of many possible reasons for the governor's post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KarenS



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 870
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing about Blago's charges is that it happened the day after he issued an order for the state of Illinois to cease any and all business dealings with the Bank of America. That's what got him into trouble. Are the banks now the new Mafia? Don't mess with them or they'll go gunning for you. Selling influence unfortunately happens all the time but the timing was real interesting. He's being punished for trying to screw a bank not for allegedly selling a Senate seat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LisaW



Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 173

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
The funny thing about Blago's charges is that it happened the day after he issued an order for the state of Illinois to cease any and all business dealings with the Bank of America. That's what got him into trouble. Are the banks now the new Mafia? Don't mess with them or they'll go gunning for you. Selling influence unfortunately happens all the time but the timing was real interesting. He's being punished for trying to screw a bank not for allegedly selling a Senate seat.



Oh, yeah, that's what happened -- Blago ticked off a Bank and Fitzgerald is just the bank's toy. You keep right on believing that. By the way -- what's Santa bringing you for Christmas and was the Easter Bunny good to you this year?
_________________
"The White House isn't the place to learn how to deal with international crisis, the balance of power, war and peace, the economic future of the next generation." --- Joe Biden, 1988
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tee



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 4225
Location: Detroit Metro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, wow, the saga continues. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out with his naming a person to replace the senate vacancy. It was almost a comedy of errors yesterday at the news conference; and the unfortunate thing is that some worthy people are becoming involved whose actions I hope won't ricochet against them. But I'm not at all familiar with Illinois politics, even though my daughter lives in Chicago. It's just what I saw on TV yesterday that boggled my mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kass



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 722
Location: under a cockatiel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I've been saying IRL, Rod's our present to the rest of you so you don't have to feel as bad about YOUR governor.
_________________
Reality has a well-known liberal bias.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dick



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 2508

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if nothing else, Blago and his antics are giving us a pretty good review of the constitutional rights of the various branches. Can't wait to see what the Senate does.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tee



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 4225
Location: Detroit Metro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kass wrote:
...Rod's our present to the rest of you so you don't have to feel as bad about YOUR governor.

Thanks! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LisaW



Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 173

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this interesting

http://www.forbes.com/opinions/2009/01/02/blagojevich-burris-constitution-oped-cx_lt_0102tribe.html

Quote:

In its landmark 1969 ruling in Powell v. McCormack, the Supreme Court held that Article I, Section 5, which makes "[e]ach House...the Judge of the Elections...and Qualifications of its own Members," represents "a textually demonstrable commitment" to Congress of the power to judge, without interference by any court, whether a duly elected individual meets the age, citizenship and other objective qualifications for office set forth in Article I, Section 2, but not any power to deny membership through the discretionary addition of ideological or other "qualifications" to those carefully laid out in the Constitution itself.

By so holding, the Court preserved the ability of each house to decide whether a duly elected individual satisfies the Constitution's criteria for membership, while preventing any attempt by either the Senate or the House of Representatives to displace the judgment of any locality's electorate as to who would best represent its interests.

The defense that commentators have offered for the position taken by President-elect Obama an

_________________
"The White House isn't the place to learn how to deal with international crisis, the balance of power, war and peace, the economic future of the next generation." --- Joe Biden, 1988
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kass



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 722
Location: under a cockatiel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess we in IL are stuck with the amoral egotist jerkwad Burris for the next two years, as the congressional Democrats have done their amoeba imitation again and shown that they don't have a fucking spine. Thanks a lot, Reid, you liar.
_________________
Reality has a well-known liberal bias.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tee



Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 4225
Location: Detroit Metro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kass, is this your own personal viewpoint only or do you find a lot of people in Illinois feel somewhat similar? I'm not at all familiar with him and can't make a comment about him or his work.

It's really too bad that he had to be appointed that way, though. It just became a little farce of its own, backed up by the Governor's little game. Then the Senate saying no appointee of the Governor of Illinois will be seated, then reversing that statement. I don't know what's all behind it, but it sure appeared to be one major FUBAR event.

Maybe they can start with a clean slate now, at least as far as the senate seat goes. No? Yes?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kass



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 722
Location: under a cockatiel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Kass, is this your own personal viewpoint only or do you find a lot of people in Illinois feel somewhat similar? I'm not at all familiar with him and can't make a comment about him or his work.

It's really too bad that he had to be appointed that way, though. It just became a little farce of its own, backed up by the Governor's little game. Then the Senate saying no appointee of the Governor of Illinois will be seated, then reversing that statement. I don't know what's all behind it, but it sure appeared to be one major FUBAR event.

Maybe they can start with a clean slate now, at least as far as the senate seat goes. No? Yes?

A lot of people in Illinois don't know what's going on and haven't been paying attention. If they had, they'd have seen that Burris was completely incompetent and is just interested in patting himself on the back, not "serving the people of Illinois."

If they do get a clue, they won't re-elect Burris. If they don't, they deserve him. (I still won't, but I'll get some gloomy satisfaction thinking about how stupid my fellow Illinoisans are.)
_________________
Reality has a well-known liberal bias.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group