AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Governor Arrested!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: My Governor Arrested! Reply with quote

This makes two corrupt idiots in a row for Illinois! We're number one! We're number one!

:D http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/12/us-attorney-fitzgerald-press-conference-blagojevich.html

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
LisaW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My Governor Arrested! Reply with quote

Kass wrote:
This makes two corrupt idiots in a row for Illinois! We're number one! We're number one!

:D http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/12/us-attorney-fitzgerald-press-conference-blagojevich.html

OH, hey -- it's better than those 2!

Quote:

Illinois' reputation for corruption is well-documented. Nine men have served as governor in the past 50 years. Two Democrat Otto Kerner and Republican George Ryan were convicted of crimes they committed while in office. (Ryan is appealing his conviction.) Democrat Dan Walker also was imprisoned after he left office, but for crimes unconnected to his tenure as governor. And Republican William Stratton was indicted for tax evasion in connection to his use of campaign funds, but he was ultimately acquitted.

http://illinoisissues.uis.edu/features/2007jan/elect.html

Ah -- Illinois / Chicago politics ... coming to a White House near you Soon!

Rolling Eyes
Sterling_95

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Blagojevich recently tried to get Ryan acquitted of the charges against him. That's the first and only time that he's shown some decent vision. I've long since become inured to his corruption and incompetency - the only thing I'm shocked at is that he was so stupid about it. If you're going to grease palms right and left, make sure you don't leave a trail

I guess I know why Chicago has a sales tax rate of 10.25% and climbing - our poor deprived governor needs more money.
Kass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess I know why Chicago has a sales tax rate of 10.25% and climbing - our poor deprived governor needs more money.

Actually, I hear it's because Mayor Daley's freaking insane and the state won't fund anything, but I'm sure there are lots of other reasons, too.

LisaW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sterling_95 wrote:

That's CHICAGO's tax, not the STATE's. With the high salaries paid to Chicago city workers and the rest of the Gimmes, Chicago has to tax everything and as high as it can.
Sterling_95

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kass wrote:

Actually, I hear it's because Mayor Daley's freaking insane and the state won't fund anything, but I'm sure there are lots of other reasons, too.

Yes, maybe Daley saw another vicious, threatening airfield that needed bulldozing in the middle of the night :)

Quote:
That's CHICAGO's tax, not the STATE's. With the high salaries paid to Chicago city workers and the rest of the Gimmes, Chicago has to tax everything and as high as it can.

I stand corrected, but if it's only Chicago, i wonder what's going on here? I bought a meal in Bolingbrook in Dupage County and when I looked at my receipt, the tax rate was 10%. The only thing I can think of is that they're taxing fast food at a higher rate. Which of course, will hit the lower income brackets harder. *sigh*
Ellie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: My Governor Arrested! Reply with quote

LisaW wrote:

Rolling Eyes

That's a leap. Especially because the Complaint actually quotes the governor cursing out Obama because Obama wouldn't take part in his scheme.

Is what you're saying that any person who hales from Illinois must be corrupt just because they're from Illinois?
Ellen AAR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My aunt lives in New Orleans and has gone through Hurricane Camille and Katrina. She's told some hair-raising stories about Louisiana corruption. But it seems that with the election of squeaky clean Bobby Jindal and now squeaky clean Joseph Cao in place of William Jefferson, that Louisiana will lose its place in the corruption stakes.

I have a cousin who lives in Chicago. She's told some hair-raising stories too.

What is it about politics anyway? It seems to poison some people's souls.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I don't know much about Illinois state or local Chicago politics. But, a casual observer of politics -- especially this year, i.e., the year of Sarah Palin -- might keep in mind that all governorships are not equal. Some states have very strong governors by law, while other states give more power to the legislature. Furthermore, logic demands that we recognize that some states are more consequential than others by virtue of population, resources, size, economy, etc.

That being said, as I understand it, Illinois has a very strong governorship. Lots of patronage and power resides in the executive. As such, he or she is subject to a lot more "persuasion," "politicking," and attempted "palm greasing" than others. This doesn't excuse this or any governor's behavior. This doesn't mean he shouldn't have the moral gumption and fortitude to perform his duties ethically. But it does put into perspective the comparison as to why Illinois might be more pre-disposed to this type of thing than another state with a weak governorship.

Also, we have to keep in mind that strong governships also attract more types like Blagojevich *BECAUSE* they'll have so much power. A civic-minded, do-gooder would have a lot more competition to be governor of such a state than a state where the legislature has a great deal more power.
LisaW

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My Governor Arrested! Reply with quote

Ellie wrote:
LisaW wrote:

Rolling Eyes

That's a leap. Especially because the Complaint actually quotes the governor cursing out Obama because Obama wouldn't take part in his scheme.

Is what you're saying that any person who hales from Illinois must be corrupt just because they're from Illinois?

No, I think I was quite clear on what I meant. Barack Obama has come out of the CHICAGO political machine. And, anyone involved with the CHICAGO political machine is probably corrupt because that's how that game is played.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My Governor Arrested! Reply with quote

LisaW wrote:
No, I think I was quite clear on what I meant. Barack Obama has come out of the CHICAGO political machine. And, anyone involved with the CHICAGO political machine is probably corrupt because that's how that game is played.

Every politician from Chicago is probably corrupt? That's an awful lot of people whose integrity you're impugning there.
Kass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think that's pure b.s., myself.

Ellen AAR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm praying that is not so, but I fear it is.

Sigh.

I think it is impossible to be a successful politician without selling a part of your soul. Sad.
Donna Lea Simpson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inductive argument LisaW is positing:

1 - All politicians from Chicago, Illinois are corrupt.
2 - President-Elect Barack Obama is a politician from Illinois
3 - Therefore, Obama is corrupt.

Wow. Lots of holes in that one, starting with Number 1. Anyone have proof that all politicians from Chicago, Illinois are corrupt?

Until you do have proof, is it not unfair to smear someone based on a fallacious argument?

http://www.donnaleasimpson.com
Beth W

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. If you have much experience with Chicago politics, it's really NOT at all hard to believe that all Chicago politicians are corrupt (at least ones that hold any office for any length of time). It's the Chicago way.

I truly don't know if Obama is or is not. For the sake of our country, I truly hope and pray he isn't. But I think that it is a very valid question to ask and investigate given the state of Illinois politics that has been going on for decades.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> The Wild Wild West Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: