AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Movie that is guaranteed to put a smile on your face

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwen G

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Movie that is guaranteed to put a smile on your face Reply with quote

With all the woefully bad economic news out there, I went searching for my copy of one of my favorite movies - Monsoon Wedding. I couldn't find it but turned on the Sundance Channel and lo and behold - there it was! I love and adore this film. It was directed by Mira Nair and came out in 2001. I've seen it multiple times and never tire of its good natured sweetness.

Its about a big, chaotic, funny, loving Indian family living in Delhi and preparing for a daughters arranged marriage. The ensemble acting and rich cast of characters are all supurb. The scenes of India are beautiful and oh my - the colors! The gorgeous, infectious music! The script is complex and well written. There are so many wonderfully attractive Indian actors here - male and female - who all give great performances.

One of my favorite couples in the movie are Dubey (the wedding planner)
and Alice ( the family servant). They begin as comic characters but evolve into one of the most touching and bittersweet elements in the film.

This movie is joyful and celebratory, sad and painful but ultimately all about the healing power of love and family. Get this DVD - it will lift your spirits.

Edited to add - I forgot to mention - I'm always amazed when I watch the credits, at the very end she mentions that the film was completed in only 30 Days! Unbelievable.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an excellent movie, Gwen. We saw it quite by accident shortly after it came out when we were visiting my niece in North Carolina. By concensus, that movie became the choice of a large group of us. And, yes, as with you, I've seen it a couple of times and loved it each and every time. Great acting, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: