AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knitting websites?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Knitting websites? Reply with quote

Are there any other knitters out there? If so, do you have any favorite knitting websites that might have patterns? I'm hoping to make a few scarves over the next month and am looking for some patterns. In the past, I just make up my own patterns for scarves, but my imagination is rather limited in that regard, and I'm hoping for something different.

Thanks!
Audrey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom did some scarves recently for my daughters and she didn't really use a pattern. She just went shopping and looked at what was in style and copied that. Sorry, I know that isn't what you were asking for but thought if you're a knitter, you could probably do it without a pattern.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audrey wrote:
My mom did some scarves recently for my daughters and she didn't really use a pattern. She just went shopping and looked at what was in style and copied that. Sorry, I know that isn't what you were asking for but thought if you're a knitter, you could probably do it without a pattern.

Audrey, that's not a bad idea to look at what's out there right now to get ideas. Thanks for the suggestion.
SabrinaJL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HIGHLY recommend www.ravelry.com It is the ultimate knit/crochet website. You can not only use it to browse patterns, you can click a pattern and see what yarns people have used to make it. Or you can look up a certain yarn and see all the things that people have made using that yarn. You can use it to keep track of your yarn, books, magazines, needles, hooks and projects. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravelry That gives you more info about it.

You have to sign up for in invite. Right now it takes about 5 days to get in. Which is much better than when I signed up. It took 3 months for me to get in.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, SabrinaJL! ravelry.com sounds exactly like what I want. I just signed up for my invitation, and look forward to being able to explore the site.
JulieR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SabrinaJL, thanks for the Ravelry link! I also just requested an invitation to join...
SabrinaJL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem. It's such a useful site. When you two get in, my user name is SabrinaJL there also, in case you'd like to add me to your friends list.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh! I just returned from London to see I was invited to join Ravelry. I've only had a bit of time to explore the site, but it's unbelievable. I can't wait to spend more time there over the next week or so.

Thank you so much, SabrinaJL!
Leigh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: knitting Reply with quote

I think I will ask to join the site too.

Four years ago my Dad was in the hospital ,and I decided to knit a scarf for my niece. Well, it is still not done. Maybe this will motivate me.

How do you guys balance knitting and reading? That is my problem. I much rather read.

Last edited by Leigh on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Leigh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinnieGayl wrote:
Thanks so much, SabrinaJL! ravelry.com sounds exactly like what I want. I just signed up for my invitation, and look forward to being able to explore the site.

Wow, 4819 people a head of me. This is a busy site.

Did any of you read Emilie Richards quilting books. I thought that sounded so nice. People getting together to work on a project, and visit.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leigh, it really didn't take too long for me to get in, and it's a wonderful site!
SabrinaJL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: knitting Reply with quote

Leigh wrote:

How do you guys balance knitting and reading? That is my problem. I much rather read.

Sometimes, I do them at the same time. One time my daughter came in and saw that I was holding Outlander open with my feet, leaning over it and knitting and reading. She said, "Mom, you're obsessed." I asked her if I was obsessed with knitting or reading. Her reply was, "Yes." Was much easier once I got a bookstand. I also listen to audiobooks on my IPod while I'm knitting.

I can only read and knit at the same time with simple knits though (stockinette or garter stitch). I also go through periods where I'll just read most of the time or periods where I'll just knit most of the time.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabrina, wow! I've never even attempted to knit and read at the same time, and probably won't do so. I generally knit when I'm watching tv.

However, I listen to lots of audio books while I drive. Lately I've been thinking I might try listening to some audio books inside, while I knit. My library just switched all of their audio books from rental ($1 a week which is dirt cheap) to free!
Leigh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my invitation to the knitting web page!. Thanks for mentioning it here.
kanoelani

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another site: http://www.knittersreview.com/

The forums are very helpful and I have really enjoyed the weekly reviews.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: