AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More Lifetime Nora Roberts adaptations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karaa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: More Lifetime Nora Roberts adaptations Reply with quote

Via Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Quote:

Lifetime has lined up Cybill Shepherd and Faye Dunaway to play grandmothers in the first two of its four movie adaptations of Nora Roberts novels.

Shepherd will star in "High Noon" along with Emilie de Ravin and Ivan Sergei, while Dunaway will be joined in "Midnight Bayou" by Jerry O'Connell and Lauren Stamile.

The other two Roberts adaptations are "Tribute" and "Northern Lights." Lifetime scored big ratings in 2007 with another four-pack of Roberts adaptations.

To refresh memories, here's the Lifetime Nora Robets linky: Carolina Moon, Blue Smoke, Montana Sky, and Angels Fall.

I'll grab the opportunity to gush here a bit. Very Happy My local TV networks are treating me with BBC's Elizabeth Gaskell pack(!): Cranford and Wives and Daughters. Bless the TV powers that be! I hope they'll also rerun North and South (Hello, Richard A.!). Alas, with not one but TWO weekly Gaskell miniseries to swoon over, I'm so not complaining! Very Happy
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the four Roberts' books mentioned, High Noon is my favorite by far. Tribute and Northern Lights were not my best-loved books (both DNFs) and I truly don't remember what Midnight Bayou was about.

Lifetime did just okay with her movies in the past; and because of that, I'm tempted to not see High Noon in movie form. IMO, the actors and acting left something to be desired. I'd hate to see that done to High Noon.

But thanks, Karaa, for mentioning this. I always read Roberts when she has a new issue. Whether I enjoy it or not is determined then. But I have always liked her writing (not necessarily always the stories). I believe she'll be an automatic read for me well into the future, with the exception of any super-paranormal series.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
and I truly don't remember what Midnight Bayou was about.

It was set in Louisiana. The hero, Declan, buys a house and begins renovations. The heroine is a local. There is a paranormal theme--ghosts and reincarnation. I enjoyed this one.

Kay
Cyl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my first adaptation from Netflix - Carolina Moon. I know I'm opening myself up for disappointment, but I'm doing it anyway.
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KayWebbHarrison wrote:
It was set in Louisiana. The hero, Declan, buys a house and begins renovations. The heroine is a local. There is a paranormal theme--ghosts and reincarnation. I enjoyed this one.

Thanks, Kay, for the refresher and it does sound a little familiar. But the fact that it had ghosts and reincarnation tells me that I may have abandoned it mid-stream. It depends on how much emphasis she (or any author) placed on that stuff in the book. I can do light--but heavy doesn't work for me. Just as with her Flower book series--the first was really great; the succeeding ones weren't. They got a bit hooky in my eyes with the wandering ghost.

Cyl wrote:
I just got my first adaptation from Netflix - Carolina Moon. I know I'm opening myself up for disappointment, but I'm doing it anyway.

Not necessarily, Cyl. You may enjoy it. Definitely try it out. Of the most recent four books-into-movies of Roberts, I liked what they did with Blue Smoke, both the screenplay writing and acting; and it happened to also be one of my favorite books of hers. That's why I was glad I enjoyed the movie too. Otherwise, I think it could have ruined the image of the book in my mind.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the new adaptations. I've actually enjoyed all four of the new books, so will try and catch them all.

I think of the first four adaptations, my least favorite was for Montana Sky, but then It's one of my least favorites of Nora Roberts books as well.
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carolina Moon was pretty close to the book, I just wish they picked a different actor to play the hero.
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie wrote:
Carolina Moon was pretty close to the book, I just wish they picked a different actor to play the hero.

Oh, now I'm going to have to think about that. I can picture the heroine in my mind, but not the hero at all (probably not a good sign).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: