AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Friends!... Help! (Consumer Query)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: My Friends!... Help! (Consumer Query) Reply with quote

I might be the last person on the planet to buy an Ipod. (I'm pretty sure I was the last one to get a cell phone and that one is a Tracphone/pay as you go.)

Anyway, I am breaking down and buying an Ipod. I've decided on the Ipod Classic because I want to watch videos. (Plus, more is better than less.) It's hard enough that I can't decide between the silver casing or the black.... I'm leaning towards black because the contrast between that and the video will be better, more striking, but the guy at the Apple store said that black might pick up finger prints more easily.

However .... I intend to buy a case/sleeve, as well, to combat that and that's where I'm really stuck. What kind of case do you all recommend? Leather? Clear skin/rubberized? Plastic? Anything else?

I'm a luddite, normally, who treads very, very carefully towards technology that others have embraced. Help!
Gail K.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not the last.

I'm still holding out.

And I refuse to text-message, too.

-Gail K., fellow Luddite.
Jane G

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nano, and a light blue leather sleeve. I really like it. I don't know the brand, though... but they sell them all over the place.
Kass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um...

Hate cell phones, won't own one

See no need for Ipod, don't own one

Sorry. I'm more out of step than you are. Very Happy

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
Beth W

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a clear hard plastic case for my silver iPod classic and I like it. I've never used any other type of case so I can't say if it's better or not, but I feel like the hard plastic protects better than leather would. JMHO.
LLB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My Friends!... Help! (Consumer Query) Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
I intend to buy a case/sleeve, as well, to combat that and that's where I'm really stuck. What kind of case do you all recommend? Leather? Clear skin/rubberized? Plastic? Anything else?

I have a silicone cover that I bought at the Apple store...I love it. I think you'll love the iPod. It ranks right up there with TiVo, the cell phone, and my Kindle as favorite technology items of All Time.
Charlotte McClain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: iPod Reply with quote

I have a silver one, but no case. Are you really sure you need a cover? I've had mine for about 9 months, 3 continents, 5 intercontinental flights, 1 continental flight (on Delta, not Continental) and several hundred walks between my house and the store and a couple of bus rides to places too far for my feet. It's scratched on the back, but not on the front where it counts. I usually carry it in my pocket or in my purse which I wouldn't consider scratchless. The screen gets fingerprints on it all the time, but no scratches.

Oh, and I don't have a cell phone either. I leave the house to get away from my phone.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: iPod Reply with quote

Charlotte McClain wrote:
I have a silver one, but no case. Are you really sure you need a cover? I've had mine for about 9 months, 3 continents, 5 intercontinental flights, 1 continental flight (on Delta, not Continental) and several hundred walks between my house and the store and a couple of bus rides to places too far for my feet. It's scratched on the back, but not on the front where it counts. I usually carry it in my pocket or in my purse which I wouldn't consider scratchless. The screen gets fingerprints on it all the time, but no scratches.

I agree that I don't absolutely need a case, but I thought it would help to keep the Ipod nicer, longer. After all, if I'm investing a couple of hundred dollars on something, why not put out a little more to protect it.
Jane G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my ipod for almost two years (maybe three, even... I've lost track), and my case for just as long, and there isn't a single scratch on it. The dial is a bit dirty, since my case doesn't cover that, but it looks almost brand new whenever I take it out of the case.
cheri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an ipod either. I do have a pda that I bought for my book list and to read on that has the same function but haven't loaded anything on it and don't listen to it. And I forget my phone at home all the time( and everyone yells at me about it! LOL) And I have no idea how to textmessage on my phone. Smile cheri
sssspro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Cheri on this one, no iPod here, but I have my PDA. Had it for 4 years. I read on the thing every day and it stays in my purse. Started with the little leather flappy thing that it comes with, and that didn't do much. Then I went to leather, and while it protected my PDA (Sony Tungsten 2E, BTW) I had issues with it too. I finally got a Rhino skin for it...a hard silver metal case. I LOVE it, but not sure they make it or it would work with an iPod.

http://www.saunders-usa.com/rhinoskin/?sku=00373

that's what I got, but I see they DO have iPod cases.
desiderata

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting a silicone skin for mine. It may be I'm a klutz, but mine seems slippery and I like the idea of having more "grab" to it. Also, I think it can't hurt to have a little more padding to it. Finally, the fingerprints bug the heck out of me.
xina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
I don't have an ipod either. I do have a pda that I bought for my book list and to read on that has the same function but haven't loaded anything on it and don't listen to it. And I forget my phone at home all the time( and everyone yells at me about it! LOL) And I have no idea how to textmessage on my phone. Smile cheri

I have an ipod with a pink leather cover. I text too, but I'm really slowwwww. I see my daughter just whipping through her texting and it's amazing how fast she does it.
KarenS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Ipod Touch with at least 16 gigs of ram. Basically it's a small computer and does so much more than play music and videos. For one thing you can download Stanza--world's #1 electronic book reader. It's at
www.lexcycle.com/iphone

If you read a lot it's worth purchasing for this app alone. Stanza is a free app, it's been downloaded more times than Amazon has sold Kindles. So FWIW, this is more versatile.
KathieO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an I-Phone which has the Ipod as a feature (not sure if it's the same since I never actually had a stand-alone Ipod). It's a little slippery (once I dropped it in the snow and thought I was going to have to kill myself if I had wrecked it), but I haven't found a sufficient cover that works for me yet. Haven't had any "scratch" troubles though so it seems resistant. I'm not much of a "phone girl" but I like the phone part for emergencies (I don't have On-Star). I have found I use most of the features (like carrying one thing instead of 5 to do the job). Love the weather, stock market, instant u-tube when I'm bored in line, etc. I didn't really realize how much I would like it (the never ending store lists are always with me now because of the notepad feature). It's amazingly easy to use technology (The phone company made me change my WAY OLD cell phone; said it was so outdated, they were discontinuing my service! Laughing So I move along sloooowly as well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: