AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Favourites' Favourites
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schola

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Your Favourites' Favourites Reply with quote

+IHS+

I've found, at least 90% of the time, that when one of my favourite Romance authors really, really likes another Romance author, that the latter won't be to my taste at all.

The first example which pops to mind is Julia Quinn. She loves everything Eloisa James writes, but I don't care for James at all. Confused

Does this happen to anyone else?
willaful

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have found author blurbs fairly useful as a rough guide. I bought a Julianne MacLean book based on the Jo Beverley blurb and loved it. I often see authors I don't respect much blurbing other authors I also don't respect much. So it mostly works for me.

Of course, the other day I saw a blurb from Linda Howard for Diana Palmer and that one kind of made me go WTF?, so it's not infallible. Laughing
Kass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite authors' tastes in reading are simply awful. And book blurbs are more likely than not to put me off reading a book than getting me to read one.

My blog: http://www.thoughts.com/allergywoman/blog
http://www.shelfari.com/o1517440994
dick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like to read other authors' cover blurbs because they're such masterpieces of ambiguity. JAK's for E. Lowell for example: "I'd buy anything with her name on it." Well, OK. But would she read it?

Has anyone ever encountered a negative statement by one romance author about another romance author? (Although Julia Quinn once posted that she'd read some books for RWA contests that she thought couldn't possibly get published.) As far as I know, not a single one of them has an itch anywhere.
Vanessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Julia Quinn one. I love her stuff but I'd rather spend my time staring at a wall than reading another Eloisa James book Shocked

I can't really remember any other time that the "recommends" have been so far off the mark for me, but I can say that I first picked up Joanna Bourne because of the Diana Gabaldon recommendation on it. I've never seen her name on anything and my love for the Outlander series knows no bounds, so I jumped right into it. Happy ending all around, Bourne's become my new autobuy Cool
MaryK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: recommendations Reply with quote

Schola wrote:
I've found, at least 90% of the time, that when one of my favourite Romance authors really, really likes another Romance author, that the latter won't be to my taste at all.

It depends on where the recommendation comes from. If you're talking about cover blurbs, I don't pay any attention to those unless it's an author who rarely gives them. Cover blurbs are marketing, and marketing is rarely reliable.

I have had success with informal recommendations by favorite authors - such as a mention in their blog or on their website. But it still depends. Some authors recommend their friends because they're friends. Others are more sparing with their praise and you can tell when it's the work itself that they like.
Mingqi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like MaryK says, if you're talking about those short blurbs on the covers- I don't pay to them. They're just one-liners and not in-depth explanations on why they like the book. And sometimes I get the feeling they re-use those blurbs. I do pay some attention to recommendations on author websites. However, most of the time I don't pick up the recommendation because I find that the plot wasn't my kind of story and am surprised that it's the author's kind of story. Maybe the author doesn't want to read the kind of stories that she writes. Overall, I know people's tastes can vary infinitely and they have different quirky pet peeves. And it's sort of proven with the aar "if you like..." list- if you like susan elizabeth phillips, try so and so. I guess I'm one of the few who love Eloisa James (except for her Pleasures series which was horrible), but I didn't like 'And Then He Kissed Her' by Laura Lee Gurkhe as much as Julia Quinn (and many people on AAR) did.
Schola

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: recommendations Reply with quote

MaryK wrote:
Schola wrote:

It depends on where the recommendation comes from. If you're talking about cover blurbs, I don't pay any attention to those unless it's an author who rarely gives them. Cover blurbs are marketing, and marketing is rarely reliable.

I glean these recommendations from interviews and the authors' Web sites themselves. Quinn writes reviews quite often and I find that we really don't agree.

dick wrote:
Has anyone ever encountered a negative statement by one romance author about another romance author? (Although Julia Quinn once posted that she'd read some books for RWA contests that she thought couldn't possibly get published.) As far as I know, not a single one of them has an itch anywhere.

Laughing Good luck trying to find one, Dick! I have a feeling that any Romance writer who severely critiques another (even if she happens to have a point) will suddenly find herself blacklisted in the industry and boycotted by indignant readers. Well, okay, maybe not blacklisted . . . but boycotted, yeah. Razz
Yulie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dick wrote:
Has anyone ever encountered a negative statement by one romance author about another romance author?

Only if the author(s) in question were involved in plagiarism, like Nora Roberts speaking out about Cassie Edwards and the black-footed ferrets.

Schola wrote:
I have a feeling that any Romance writer who severely critiques another (even if she happens to have a point) will suddenly find herself blacklisted in the industry and boycotted by indignant readers. Well, okay, maybe not blacklisted . . . but boycotted, yeah.

I actually think sticking to the positive is the right thing to do. It's not like they're recommending everything in print - and I don't blame authors for not wanting to antagonize others in the industry or potential readers. Especially when you consider that most authors don't have the kind of job security that would allow them to feel comfortable rocking the boat. If I want critical reviews, I've other sources for those.

BTW, the only author recommendation I ever followed up on was JQ's plug for AAR a few years ago. Very Happy
Amanda

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I discovered Judith Ivory from a blurb that SEP wrote saying that Beast was a fairy tail for adults (or something like that). I enjoyed Beast so much that I raced through her back list. Sadly, I didn't find all of Ivory's books as entertaining. . .
Acorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the book TILL DAWN TAMES THE NIGHT by Meagan McKinney after seeing that it was a favorite of Sabrina Jeffries. The book is a favorite of mine now but I'm not too crazy about Sabrina's books.
Lily

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of times I have the feeling that the editorial houses tell their authors to recommend the work of another author.

Anyway, sometimes you can really tell some authors are friends, like when Catherine Coulter dedicates a book to Linda Howard (I think it was Night Fire, and that was the first time I ever saw Linda Howard's name. Obviosly, when I ran into one of her books, I read it out of curiosity and then I was hooked. ) Jude Deveraux and Judith McNaught did that a lot too.

I prefer recommendations from other readers. I havn't been dissapointed so far, and I think AAR is a great site for recommendations.
Schola

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Lisa Kleypas and Christina Dodd also dedicate books to each other.
Elaine S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Your Favourites' Favourites Reply with quote

Schola said:

I think author blurbs are useless and totally unnecessary. I think I get better value by looking at what my preferred reader/reviewers here and and amazon are reading. If you find a reviewer's whose tastes are similar to your own you are more likely to be led to an author whose works will please you. I found Mary Balogh, Carla Kelly, Judith A Lansdowne, Mary Jo Putney and Jo Beverly by these means plus numerous others.
KarenS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used these recommendations with a grain of salt. I consider them a help by giving me a new name to try. And sometimes that's all I need.. I think I tried an Amanda Quick on an Elizabeth Lowell recommendation. Had not heard of AQ at all until I saw EL's glowing comment. What did I have to lose so I tried an AQ and now I've read almost everything that's been written by this wonderful writer in her many forms.

Romance writers seem to be very generous in supporting each other which is a good thing. It's basically introducing someone new and leaving it up to the reader to decide if said new author appeals. Sorta like a blind date in a way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: