AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spanish romances?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandilib

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natalie wrote:
Quote:
Muchas gracias Sandy

Do you remember any particular titles?

You are welcome Natalie. Unfortunately no, it's been too long. I remember that I would read whatever I could find from her.
I did notice that she is available at a lot of libraries.... Hopefully, a sign that her writing is indeed as good as I remember it Wink
Lily

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Spanish romance Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm from Chile (spanish speaking country), but I have to say I havn`t read many original spanish romance novels.

Please DON`T read Corin Tellado. (Sorry fans, but I think they are the worst series romance ever.)

"Como agua para chocolate" is really nice, althought don`t bother with the recipes. I didn`t understand them, and spanish is my first language.

There is a chilean author named Isabel Allende who now lives in California. She has written a couple of novels with strong romance in it. My favorite is "De amor y de sombra" (Of love and shadow). It`s about a couple of journalists in Chile during dictatorship (1975) who fall in love but discover a rather nasty secret.

In the last years there are some spanish-speaking writers who have written romance. I read Amparo Balbuena´s "Como una flor entre las rocas", wich is a medieval set during the crusade against the catars in southern France. Another author is Florencia Bonelli (from Argentina), but I havn`t read her books yet.

Anyway, there are a lot of romance novels translated to spanish. I think you can reread any favorite. Here is the link to a web page with the best info about them: http://www.elrinconromantico.com/
Please try it, it`s really good. They have the name of the new spanish romance authors too.

If you want to read something different, here are a couple of authors:

- Roberto Ampuero: chilean, writes mystery. He has written about exilean chileans in Sweden (Los amantes de Estocolmo), and about a cuban detective in Chile (Quien mato a Cristian Kustermann?)

- Gabriel Garcia Marquez: colombian, writes "magic realism" (realismo magico). He is famous for a novel called "100 años de soledad", but it might be too long and difficult if you`re beginning to learn spanish. You could try "Cronica de una muerte anunciada".

If you need any help feel free to ask me. I`ll be happy to help you.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Spanish romance Reply with quote

Lily wrote:
Hi!
I'm from Chile (spanish speaking country), but I have to say I havn`t read many original spanish romance novels.

Lily,

Hola y mil gracias por el enlace.

Kay
Natalie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Spanish romance Reply with quote

Lily wrote:

Anyway, there are a lot of romance novels translated to spanish. I think you can reread any favorite. Here is the link to a web page with the best info about them: http://www.elrinconromantico.com/
Please try it, it`s really good. They have the name of the new spanish romance authors too.

Gracias Lily! I'll definitely check it out as well as other suggestions!
Natalie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems that most romances listed on the site are indeed translations of the book by popular American/British authors (I've had fun with deciphering some of the titles - it's good the site provides the original English titles too!). I did found a few authors that write in Spanish. Does anyone know anything about them?

Alejandra Álvarez-Casas
Amparo Balbuena
Ángela Becerra

Carmen Santos
Claudia Velasco
Esther Sanz
Gabriela Margall
intrepida

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first post on this great board, and site. I did the following list of recent authors who published romances in Spanish (they are mainly from Spain). I didn't read any of them but a few of them are highly regarded, such as Florencia Bonelli, Pilar Cabero, Nieves Hidalgo, Caroline Bennett, Sonia Marmen.

- "A través del tiempo" by Pilar Cabero (Historical set in Spain, 19th cent. / Time travel)
- "La dama y el dragón" by Caroline Bennett aka Mónica Peñalver. (Historical)
- "Lección de Amor" by Ebony Clark (Published by La Máquina China) (Contemporary set in México)
- "Lo que dure la eternidad" and "El fantasma de Killmarnock" by Nieves Hidalgo (Published by Vergara)
- "New York, New York" by Imma López (Contemporary) (Published by El Andén)
- "Lady Smith" by Mabela Ruiz-Gallardón (Published by El Andén) (Historical set in Spain in 1812, during Spanish Independency War)
- "La Tierra de las Conquistas" and "Alma de Highlander" by Sonia Marmén (Historical / Highlanders)
- Saga Lycos (Licántropos) - 1. Al llegar la noche . 2. El Secreto de la Noche. By Jezz Burning (Paranormal / Werewolves)
- "Marlene", "Lo que dicen tus ojos", "El Cuarto Arcano" etc. by Florencia Bonelli (Historical set in Argentina - I understand)
- "Las espinas del amor" by Arlette Geneve (Historical)
- "En alas de la seducción" de Gloria Casañas (From Argentina)
- "Vive rápido, siente despacio" by Esther Sanz (Contemporary)
- "Sabrina: 1, El mundo: 0" by Rebeca Rus (Chick-lit)
- "Nadie como tú" by Anna Casanovas (Contemporary set between Barcelona and London)
- "La hija del cónsul" by Teresa Cameselle (Historical set in Ottoman Empire in 1880)
- María Consuelo Mariño Chantal, an author that publishes online. Check here
- "El penúltimo sueño" and "De los amores negados" by Ángela Becerra.

The following are published by Vestales:

- "He aquí un secreto. Una apuesta perdida", de Soledad Pereyra
- "He aquí un secreto. La Orden Guardiana", de Soledad Pereyra
- "No te fíes de un Bandido", de Bel Frances
- "Como una flor entre las rocas", de Amparo Balbuena
- "Si encuentro tu nombre en el fuego", de Gabriela Margall
- "El Medallón de los Lancaster", de Claudia Velasco
Natalie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Intrepida. It's a big list... I wish you could recommend some of them. I guess I'll do some more research (and train my Spanish, too!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: