AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else excited for Mama Mia?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Anyone else excited for Mama Mia? Reply with quote

Mama Mia, the movie, comes out July 18th with Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnon and Colin Firth! I'm very excited for this one. The ads on tv make it look very fun. I don't know the story line but I love a good musical, especially with some favorite stars in the cast.
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me into the eagerly anticipating bunch. My Mom wants to see it too.

Kay
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, me! I can hardly wait to see it. I'll definitely be going next Friday after work.
LeeB.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll catch it on dvd, but how can anyone resist a movie set in Greece and starring Colin Firth and Pierce Brosnan? Wink
LinnieGayl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
Well, I'll catch it on dvd, but how can anyone resist a movie set in Greece and starring Colin Firth and Pierce Brosnan? Wink

Oh yes, Mr. Darcy and Remington Steele on a Greek island...Of course, I've been humming the songs since I saw the play in March, and am worried that after I see the movie, I'll never get them out of my head.
Kayne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: What is your fav musical? Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't realize Mama Mia takes place in Greece? What are your fav musicals (movies or plays)? I loved Hairspray last year and even enjoyed High School Musical (the first one) but I love the oldies. Seems like I remember one called Kiss Me Kate. My all time fav would still have to be Grease. I had great seats a few years back with a production starring Frankie Avalon. He came out at the end and told stories about making the movie and his ten kids! Many people in the audience came dressed in poodle skirts!
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my all time favorite musical still has to be Man of La Mancha; the film with Peter O'Toole and Sophia Loren was fine, but I think that Richard Kiley, who was the original Cervantes/Quixote on Broadway, would have made it great.

I really loved the movie versions of On a Clear Day You Can See Forever and Hello, Dolly with Barbra Streisand.

Other favorite movie musicals: Kismet, Oklahoma, Flower Drum Song, South Pacific, Finian's Rainbow (with Fred Astaire), Evita, The Sound of Music, The Music Man, Carousel, Brigadoon.

What can I say but that it is a favorite genre of mine?

Kay
xina

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else excited for Mama Mia? Reply with quote

Kayne wrote:
Mama Mia, the movie, comes out July 18th with Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnon and Colin Firth! I'm very excited for this one. The ads on tv make it look very fun. I don't know the story line but I love a good musical, especially with some favorite stars in the cast.

Oh yes, I can't wait. I am going with my daughter, even though she isn't as thrilled about it as I am. Love the storyline.
Schola

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+IHS+

Will we be discussing it here or in another thread? I'll be seeing it tonight.
Kayne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: mama Reply with quote

Schola wrote:
+IHS+

Will we be discussing it here or in another thread? I'll be seeing it tonight.

Wow, You are so lucky. I thought it wasn't out till Friday. You must be special! You can start a new thread if you want; either way be sure to let us know what you think.
MMcA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just come back from seeing it (it's out now in the UK) and we really enjoyed it.
Half way through I started wondering what the children were making of it: they're 15 and 13, hardly the ABBA generation - but they loved it, claimed to have known ALL the songs (they lie) and sang disjointed versions of the lyrics all the way home.
Really good natured and warm hearted film - and what my girls called a 'real' musical - by which I think they meant it sounded like the actors, for better or worse, were actually singing themselves.
Meryl Streep was fabulous - she's such a good actress.

(Oh, and stay for the end. We started filing out when the credits started, and then had to stop at the back of the cinema to watch them singing the final song in full 70s costume.)
Schola

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT WAS FANTASTIC!!! Very Happy

Well, okay, it wasn't perfect, but there is something about good music and bright colours and an exotic location and the most random elements in the world all clicking together perfectly that made up for all the flaws.

I rarely bother to see movies on the big screen. When I do go, it's because all my friends are going so that we can make a date of it.

This was one movie I am glad that I saw on a huge screen with surround sound. Was it just a few years ago I was embarrassed to know all the lyrics to Dancing Queen? Now I'm just embarrassed to have been embarassed! I'm going to gladly eat all my words now. Abba are eternally cool! Cool
Diana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the Broadway production of Mama Mia and it was really a lot of fun. The story line is light and silly but the music is exuberant. I put ABBA on my iPod after seeing the show. I'd forgotten how much fun ABBA music is.
Anne Marble

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be going to see it for Stellan Skarsgård and the scenery, and my mother will be seeing it for Pierce Brosnan. Although I'll admit Pierce Brosnan will be nice to look at, too. I just can't imagine him as the detective in Insomnia. Laughing

I heard the soundtrack is already available. Has anyone heard it yet?
Lynda X

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved it! Although I usually love musicals, this was great fun (unlike "Sweeney Todd" which I think was fabulous, but too gory for me.). If you are a baby boomer, this movie is aimed at you! And if you are younger, you'll probably like it too. Great charm and energy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: