AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doctors
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarenS wrote:
Sandlynn wrote:
KarenS wrote:
The You I Never Knew by Susan Wiggs has a most delicious hero who is a physician. It ranks in my top five favorite romances so it's one I hope you will enjoy.

Wait a minute. It's a long time since I read that book but I thought he was a rancher. He was a doctor?

When the son is hit in the head by the horse, he is taken to the emergency room and the hero sews him up. The heroine arrives later and talks to the ER nurse thinking how nice she is and finds out later she's the hero's ex. He owns his own ranch but he's also a physician and did bronco busting or something in the beginning of the story. They meet when her son hits his truck. To pay for the damages he ends up working at his ranch and is helping to deliver a foal when he gets hit in the head.

The title is most apt for this story as they really didn't know each other very well. Since they were young they didn't get around to talking about their dreams and desires. He always wanted to be a physician and in spite of many hardships he succeeded.

I read the book only once, years ago, and I really liked it. It's one of my favorites. But, for the life of me, I didn't recall he was a doctor. I would have bet the farm on it. I must be losing it. Wink
Diane L

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Doctors Reply with quote

In the historical "One Wore Blue" by Heather Graham the hero was a doctor and delivered his own baby. I thought the series was very good. It was during the cival war. Diane L
panthercrawl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maggie b. wrote:
Sandlynn wrote:

Isn't it interesting, though, how many "heros" (or male leads) continue to be doctors on television -- from daytime to primetime, and yet romances have steered away from doctor-heros. What is the most popular occupation for heros in romance novels?

In historicals of course it is "idle rich". Which bugs me because a Duke should be something like Bewcastle, who manages his wealth and fulfills parliamentary obligations.

In contemps I would say right now it is law enforcement of some kind. Even Roarke seems to get into it now, even though it is not his occupation :-)

So it seems to be detective, FBI, CIA, the dreaded sheriff or deputy et al for the overwhelming majority. Military. Then I would say millionaire. Sports stars. Politicians. Lawyers. Oddly, the people I know that work the most are the handful of millionaires I know. Behind them I would put lawyers and politicians. And big city police definitely work as much as doctors so yeah, it surprises me that docs don't make it in the hero department. But it's not just doctors -- engineers, accountants, dentists (OK, maybe just villain position for dentists!) -- in short, lots of careers aren't represented.

In the event of protecting the heroine, my husband the accountant is both in better physical shape and a better shot than his brother the detective, so I think a character in another one of these professions could indeed be a hero.

I did read one recently with a professor as hero (Garden Spells) so that was nice but I'd love to see some variety in the hero department.

maggie b.

Us poor accountants. We get no love. Literally apparently. (Jackie D'Allesandro wrote a contemporary called Kiss the Cook and the book wasnt that great - she's done better - but the hero was a smokin hot accountant. LOL)

Robyn Carr Virgin River - heroine is a doctor and is pretty much throught the three book series.

She has a re-release coming out in August of the Grace Valley series and I think there are doctors in that - heroes and heroines. (Mostly obstetricians I believe)
Yulie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panthercrawl wrote:
Us poor accountants. We get no love. Literally apparently.

Wasn't the hero in Tell Me Lies by Crusie an accountant? I'm pretty sure he was.
KarenS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
KarenS wrote:
Sandlynn wrote:
KarenS wrote:
The You I Never Knew by Susan Wiggs has a most delicious hero who is a physician. It ranks in my top five favorite romances so it's one I hope you will enjoy.

Wait a minute. It's a long time since I read that book but I thought he was a rancher. He was a doctor?

When the son is hit in the head by the horse, he is taken to the emergency room and the hero sews him up. The heroine arrives later and talks to the ER nurse thinking how nice she is and finds out later she's the hero's ex. He owns his own ranch but he's also a physician and did bronco busting or something in the beginning of the story. They meet when her son hits his truck. To pay for the damages he ends up working at his ranch and is helping to deliver a foal when he gets hit in the head.

The title is most apt for this story as they really didn't know each other very well. Since they were young they didn't get around to talking about their dreams and desires. He always wanted to be a physician and in spite of many hardships he succeeded.

I read the book only once, years ago, and I really liked it. It's one of my favorites. But, for the life of me, I didn't recall he was a doctor. I would have bet the farm on it. I must be losing it. Wink

It's being re-released this summer so maybe new readers will find it and enjoy it. I am not exactly a fan of baby stories but this one worked for me considering what happened years earlier to separate them. It's a wonderful family story not just with the h/h but the heroine becoming closer to her estranged father and her son getting to know his father, grandfather and grandmother.
cawm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Reckless by Ruth Wind, the heroine is a doctor. This book is the middle title in Wind's excellent Forrest Brothers trilogy. It comes between Marriage Material and Beautiful Stranger. I strongly prefer contemporaries about characters with ordinary careers, rather than billionaires, whose lives are of absolutely no interest to me.
Carla Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: doctors Reply with quote

Maggie, I have another "doctor" book coming out in the spring of 2009. It's about a surgeon in the Royal Navy during England's blockade of Europe. He's based at Stonehouse, the Royal Navy hospital west of Plymouth. I called it "Do No Harm," but the powers that be are wanting to rename it "Marrying the Surgeon." It's book two in the Channel Fleet series, first one of which is called "Marrying the Captain."

Carla Kelly
MarianneM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Virgin River Heroine Reply with quote

panthercrawl ... As I remember, the heroine of Robyn Carr's Virgin River is a registered nurse/midwife, a specialty that requires special training. But she is not a doctor. In Virgin River, she goes to work with the town doctor.

MarianneM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: