AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I guess it's all been said?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: I guess it's all been said? Reply with quote

Maybe it's because everybody's so entranced by the elections, but has anybody else noticed the decline in the number of posts per day? Except for a flurry at the beginning of each new ATBF and those ubiquitous threads I found odd--grades, covers, and freakoutishness--the boards are about as interesting as mush without molasses. Even Wild West partisanship doesn't engender much of it.

What's happened? No one interested in lousy styles, pairings whose happy ending is impossible, decline of sub-genres?

Maybe it's the time of year; September always seems to bring on melancholia of some sort. Just check out country-western music.

Maybe it's the sameness of romance fiction; after all, it's nearly impossible to find something new to get whipped up about when the recipe's so circumscribed. That's never stopped readers from commenting, though--until lately.

Maybe it's just ennui. I've thought of putting a new subject on the board--something like: Romance readers have no imagination--just to get the juices going.

Or I might try a little irony, something like: Women usually want the last word, don't they?
sssspro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

I've got to say, I've noticed the same thing Dick, and its not just on this website. Honestly, for me, its mostly that I've been on this board for a long time and have said most everything. I don't mind repeating myself, and do so often.

Every once in a while I throw something into the mix, new or old, but I don't have many "pressing" romance topics on the top of my head that need to be expressed. Sad but true. I have also found that my reading habits have slumped. I WANT to read more, but the long, engaging historicals that I so love are NOT very abundant right now. All I keep seeing are shorter and shorter erotica and less and less substance. So my reading is Blah, and thus my responses are blah.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: I guess it's all been said? Reply with quote

I've noticed the lack of posting, too, dick. Perhaps all of your thoughts have some validity. I'm guessing, with me, it's the lack of books (good or bad) in my life right now. My "wish" list is the smallest it's even been. My TBR pile is practically non-existent. You have to read in order to post on a site such as this and there it is for me. Also, some of the all-encompassing threads (books read lately, etc) almost encourage a list-type response which doesn't pull in much discussion. We've been over that in another thread (yours, I believe).

Maybe with the election brouhaha regarding Palin, the hurricanes of late including Ike which is not sounding good at all, school beginning, etc, people have been keeping more abreast of these issues rather than message boarding. It'll be interesting to hear others' opinions.
Gail K.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense to "old" blood, but we need new blood around here. I took a hiatus from posting but upon returning I see the same familiar (but enjoyable!) "regulars." Yet the number of new registered users has increased apace. I wish they would speak up! We're not that scary. Wink

-Gail
Yulie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: I guess it's all been said? Reply with quote

sssspro wrote:
I don't have many "pressing" romance topics on the top of my head that need to be expressed. Sad but true. I have also found that my reading habits have slumped. I WANT to read more, but the long, engaging historicals that I so love are NOT very abundant right now.

Tee wrote:
I've noticed the lack of posting, too, dick. Perhaps all of your thoughts have some validity. I'm guessing, with me, it's the lack of books (good or bad) in my life right now. My "wish" list is the smallest it's even been. My TBR pile is practically non-existent. You have to read in order to post on a site such as this and there it is for me.

Me too. I'm just not reading as much as I'd like, and my romance reading is down to about two or three books a month. Today's trip to the UBS again ended with me coming home empty-handed. I'm really not excited about the direction the market has taken, with all the paranormal/AR stuff. Looking at some of the recent threads, those sub-genres seem to be well-represented on these boards, and I have nothing to contribute there.

Meanwhile, a lot of the historicals I read just don't seem that fresh and interesting. I use AAR and other romance sites to find new authors and I've enjoyed both Sherry Thomas and Joanna Bourne this year, but it's not like they have extensive backlists.

I don't feel as though I read enough to start threads; even more to the point, I don't think I'm really oriented towards analyzing and doing in-depth discussions of what I read. I can explain why I like or dislike something, but to start discussing themes and tropes and characterizations makes me feel like I'm back in high school lit class, an experience I did not enjoy. Now, my university class on psychological analysis of literary texts - that was fun! I'd definitely be up for that.

Dick, what topics would you like to see brought up? I remember last year when the topic of boredom came up people started de-lurking (me included Very Happy ). Maybe we'll get some delurking this time around, too.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:
...but upon returning I see the same familiar (but enjoyable!) "regulars." Wink

Good save, there, Gail! Laughing Actually, from what you're saying then, is that without the so-called regulars, there would be even less posting. So yay for the regulars. But I agree, as I always have felt, that there are so many out there who frequent the site but don't post, but maybe have thought about it.

So to all of those, it's really fun when you do; but you need to take that first step. And talking about regulars, how about some of those who contributed a lot in the past, but haven't posted for a while. We miss you (you know who you are).
Gail K.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Tee. The previous post was my attempt at delicacy.

Speaking of MIA posters, where are LadyNaava, sula, nikki, katiebabs??? I need "partners in crime" on the cover threads! It could be all man boobage, all the time, around here! (dick will be thrilled, I'm sure Wink )
Yulie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sula and Katiebabs are mostly blogging these days. Not sure about Nikki, she does post occasionally.

Gail & Tee, when I started posting here last Septmeber, the two of you were very friendly and encouraging. So definitely lurkers shouldn't be scared to post Very Happy .
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
Gail & Tee, when I started posting here last Septmeber, the two of you were very friendly and encouraging. So definitely lurkers shouldn't be scared to post Very Happy .

What a nice thing to say, Yulie. Your name has become very familiar around here now. So, last September you were a newbie and now you're a regular. Congratulations and it didn't hurt a bit. Well, maybe once in a while, but it doesn't last; and your hide gets more tough anyway. Keep on postin'.
Elaine S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone on this thread. I attribute part of it to the generally low standard of books released lately - you only have to look at the grades new reviews are getting - and part of it to a bit of ennui and a sense that, like others, I've said my piece before. Also, on a personal basis, I can't get my head round fantasy, time travel, vampires, shapeshifters (whatever they are), etc. and so find that a lot of posts are not "en genre" and deviate from the more traditional definition of romance and thus I am not inclined either to read or comment on some of those threads.

I would like to see more contributions, too, from new members and more from our author members as well. I also wonder if we have gone a bit PC and are a little unwilling to say something pretty stark and provoking.

Here in England it has been a dismally wet and miserable summer but I've not had much time for reading and seem to be doing most of it on backlists.

Good on you, Dick, for stirring the pot!
Gail K.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
I think Sula and Katiebabs are mostly blogging these days. Not sure about Nikki, she does post occasionally.

Thanks for the updates, Yulie. And I'm so glad you are now a more-thoughtful-than-most (myself most definitely included!) "regular."

Straying into somewhat dangerous territory (again) but I think another big part is that the discretionary time "pie" for everyone is generally limited -- zero sum -- just as is our discretionary income. And unless we all become independently wealthy or the day lengthens beyond 24 hours, there are now A LOT of competing options for our entertainment interests and dollars.

-Gail
xina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm in the midst of reading and am excited to post about my books when I've finished. I'm reading the Robyn Carr Grace Valley series and am almost done witht he first book. Love this author....she's got the town down perfectly and the characters seem so real. Thanks to all who kept recommending this series. I know Tee was one of them, but I've seen this series listed before countless times. Another book I am reading is My Best Friend's Girl by Dorothy Koomson...(not to confused with the movie coming out with the same name...it is not this book). This book is wonderful...so heart wrenching at one moment and really pleasant and funny the next. Love this book. I'm having fun in my reading latlely.
As for the lack of posts...I've notieced too. I've been busy and check in when I can and there is never anything new!! Everyone enjoying the Fall, I guess.
ladynaava

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gail K. wrote:
LOL, Tee. The previous post was my attempt at delicacy.

Speaking of MIA posters, where are LadyNaava, sula, nikki, katiebabs??? I need "partners in crime" on the cover threads! It could be all man boobage, all the time, around here! (dick will be thrilled, I'm sure Wink )

Hah. I accept the challenge. I'm out of town right now, but will find you some fugliness soon. I mostly have been posting on the romance foum on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Romance-forum/forum/FxM42D5QN2YZ1D/-/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_rt_tft_fp/002-8293594-6090465?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=0312347766

I admit though- I'm reading so much less romance these days. I think I'm moving out of love with the romance novel genre. I only like certain plots... Nice guys, virgin heroes and novels with more going on than constant wangst.

Perhaps the genre has reached its peak for me. Not sure.

N
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone from reading 2-3 books a week to 1-2 books a month and most of them are not romance.

I have sort of fallen out of love with the romance genre but every so often a gem will come around. I still check the reviews and try to keep an eye out for new releases that look like they'll be interesting. I tend to like books that don't follow a politically correct line - such as Linda Howard's recent Death Angel which I absolutely loved. Gems like this are few and far between though.

I still have a good interest in vampires and shapeshifters but that's moved into urban fantasy these days.

I am reading the latest Nalini Singe, Hostage To Please and so far enjoying it.

Linda
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda in sw va wrote:
I've gone from reading 2-3 books a week to 1-2 books a month and most of them are not romance.

I have sort of fallen out of love with the romance genre but every so often a gem will come around. I still check the reviews and try to keep an eye out for new releases that look like they'll be interesting. I tend to like books that don't follow a politically correct line - such as Linda Howard's recent Death Angel which I absolutely loved. Gems like this are few and far between though.

I still have a good interest in vampires and shapeshifters but that's moved into urban fantasy these days.
Linda

This is basically my experience, in a nutshell. Even the books that have been raved about this year (Sherry Thomas, Joanna Bourne, Meredith Duran, etc) haven't pulled me back in since I can still compare those admittedly competent books to the books of yesteryear which I can read and re-read and continue to feel as though I'm reading it for the first time.

It just seems that the romance genre as a whole is just stuck in a rut and is utterly unpredictable. No matter what the plot is, or who the characters are, or how great the writing is, I never feel any surprise as to where the book is going to go. Personally, I'd like to see a return of meaty historicals of yesterday mixed with the sensibilities of today, as I'm much more entranced by a story of true character growth and a HEA as opposed to the character arc of the protagonists being wrapped around getting a HEA (am I making sense?).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: