AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1001 Romance Novels . . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Atlas Shrugged Reply with quote

[quote="Jenny]
I haven't read ATLAS SHRUGGED by Ayn Rand. Would you please explain why you wouldn't include it on the list?

Jenny[/quote]

Depends on how you define Romance. If you define Romance as a work that focuses on the relationship, then no, I wouldn't include any of Rand's books. She's so intent on pushing forward her world view that any love story is important only as a vehicle for her philosophy, not in and of itself.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:

I haven't read ATLAS SHRUGGED by Ayn Rand. Would you please explain why you wouldn't include it on the list?
Jenny

When I think of Atlas Shrugged, the first thing that comes to mind is the author's political philosophy that she's advocating rather than romance. The characters are really in service of that. Of course, that's not to say a novel primarily about something else can't contain an excellent romance. With "only" 1001 spots to fill, though, there are plenty of more romantic works of fiction, I'd say. (Actually, I also don't like her philosophy.Wink
Schola

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

To what has already been said, I must add that Rand's love stories aren't even that romantic. They're interesting mental exercises, if you like to imagine someone with X Philosophy meeting someone with Y Philosophy and both of them acting consistently with what they believe. This is why the first love scene in The Fountainhead is a rape: the hero is introduced in Chapter I as someone who doesn't care about what other people think, and during the rape scene it turns out that he doesn't care what the heroine thinks either. Confused

I think that people are more complex than Rand's characters, who make me think of perfectly programmed robots, and that love is more than how she explains it (or gets a character to explain it) in Atlas Shrugged.
Jenny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for explaining and giving me more info about the book.

Jenny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: