AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kindle Comments and Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Kindle Comments and Question Reply with quote

I have been exploring my new Kindle and was so surprised to see the experimental section where it can access the internet to google search and visit websites (I even visited AAR with it when I was on a trip). I was going to try and access my e-mail with it but ran out of time. I wonder if that would have worked. I didn't realize it had these capabilities when I bought it.

My quesiton involves availability of the Kindle format. I was excited to download the new Joanne Bourne, My Lord and Spymaster book but don't see that it is available in Kindle. I kind of assumed that all new books would be available in Kindle format. For those that have a Kindle can you shed any light on this? Should I order a paperback version of Bourne's new one or wait and see if it becomes available in the next year in Kindle format? Thanks.
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my Kindle for about 2 months and am still exploring some of the experimental and other non-reading features. It is my understanding that you can use the Kindle for email although I have never tried it. However, I have noticed that one of the books listed in the Kindle Best Seller column on the Kindle Home Page addresses this very issue. You may want to check it out. Or try emailing their tech support for instructions; I have found them very helpful and quick to respond.

As far as the availability of books in the Kindle format, I have run into the same problem as you occasionally. MOST of the titles I want to purchase have been available, but not all. I did email Amazon re: this issue. They replied that it is the publisher who decides whether or not to release a book in the Kindle format. They suggested emailing the publisher and indicate your interest in having the book available in a Kindle edition. I suppose the demand will drive the market here.

I have noticed with a couple of titles that the Kindle edition becomes available after the release of the printed version. My M.O. now is to wait a bit if a book I want is not immediately available. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't. I'd say that I am about 90% successful in finding my new-release choices available.

My guess is that because the Kindle is selling so well, more and more books will become available. I live for the day that any book that is released in print is also released in a Kindle edition. Very Happy
Kayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Tinabelle, Thanks so much for this info. Do you know how to buy ebooks from sites besides Amazon to read on Kindle? I was at eharlequin today and they have a bunch of free books as well as mini books that look great. Kindle said to download for mobiplayer. Do I have to get software for mobi to get a PDI? Thanks.
Kayne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: nevermind Reply with quote

I found the answer to my question and am really disapointed. There is some controversy involved. In order to read a harlequin ebook on a kindle it looks like it involves some hacking to convert the file to kindle format. Hopefully this will change and Harlequin will set up a deal with Amazon to begin selling ebooks in kindle format. Harlequin has some great looking free ebook packages and mini ebooks (short stories) for less than a dollar.

Last edited by Kayne on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tinabelle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayne -

I have not tried any other formats for downloading a book. It sounds too complicated for me, a pretty low-end tech person.

I think this is part of the whole controversy about ebooks - all of the different formats. It would be wonderful if every electronic reader used the same format so a person could get books from any source. I wouldn't be surprised if something changed in the future as ebooks become more widely read. That old supply and demand thing again. I guess this is part of the "fun" of early adoption of a technology device.

I love reading on the Kindle vs holding a paperback or hardcover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: