AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a wonderful Medieval -- or just a real keeper !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isolde Martyn - The Lady and the Unicorn, The Knight and the Rose, The Silver Bride. These pretty much fit your publishing time frame.

You might also consider Laura Kinsale's Shadowheart. This is the sequel to For My Lady's Heart. Be warned; very dark, a bit of s&m and a scene that some consider rape. I loved it. She really goes to the edge with this one. Allegretto is the ultimate tortured hero.

I'll second (third) the Jo Beverley recs, and the Anya Seton.

I haven't read too many mediaevals recently. Too hard to find ones that I don't find wallpapery. Or should I say tapestryish??

Elizabeth
graceC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second, or third, Madeline Hunter's 'By' series (all titles start with 'By'). Her medieval stories were so vividly and beautifully written with multi-layered characters, I am still mourning her switch to regency to this day.

Some of my other medieval favorites:

* Judith McNaught's A Kingdom of Dreams (her only medieval, but IMO her best historical ever)
* Betina Krahn's The Wife Test (the heroine is a cook, an occupation not much explored in medieval novels)
* Jill Barnett's Wonderful (very funny and witty)

If you don't mind storylines with Witches and a bit of paranormals with a timeline set in 16th century France, please check out Susan Carroll's The Dark Queen, The Courtesan, and The Silver Rose. They're really, really, good.
SweetOne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any medievals to recommend, but this one is a real keeper...

"Kiss Me While I Sleep" by Linda Howard. This is the best book I've read all year.
LisaW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Jo Beverly Reply with quote

Schola wrote:

I've also read Beverley's Dark Champion, but it doesn't seem as true to the period as the other two; I couldn't get over the embarrassingly stereotypical "lustful cleric." Confused You might want to read it first, though, because its hero appears in the first two books I've mentioned.

Well ... it maybe "stereotypical" ... but have you checked out some of the activities of some of the Medieval Popes? The time period is not for the faint of heart!
Schola

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Jo Beverly Reply with quote

LisaW wrote:
Schola wrote:

I've also read Beverley's Dark Champion, but it doesn't seem as true to the period as the other two; I couldn't get over the embarrassingly stereotypical "lustful cleric." Confused You might want to read it first, though, because its hero appears in the first two books I've mentioned.

Well ... it maybe "stereotypical" ... but have you checked out some of the activities of some of the Medieval Popes? The time period is not for the faint of heart!

You might mean the Renaissance popes, who were far more decadent. Yeah, they give everyone a bad name.

It's just that the "lustful cleric" type I mean is as bad any "type" in fiction. Try the "repressed spinster." I've met one so bad that she made me declare, in a fit of annoyance, that any woman who hasn't married or had children at forty has something wrong with her and blames the world for it. Evil or Very Mad It's not true in general, of course, but she fits the "type" so well that she would be very easy to write as a supporting character.

I think I was just disappointed because I've come to expect rounder characterisation from Beverley. Also, this particular character's role in the plot seemed superfluous, given that the heroine had a more valid reason for fearing sex than his warnings against it and didn't seem too pious in the first place.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teresa Medeiros' Shadows and Lace, Marsha Canham's Robin Hood trilogy, and Betina Krahn's "Test" series.
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinabelle wrote:

Robyn Carr:
Virgin River
Shelter Mountain
Whispering Rock

Robyn Carr wrote some medievals:

The Everlasting Covenant
By Right of Arms
The Troubadour's Romance
The Bellerose Bargain
The Blue Falcon
Chelynne (my favorite)
Yuri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2007 - Mary Reed McCall: Templar's Seduction - a bit uneven at the end but well worth while. There are some prequels but i haven't read them yet.

2006 - Kathleen Givens: On a highland shore - a little more historical than romance but very good. About the last of the Viking raids

2002 - Madeline Hunter: Lord of a Thousand Nights - I like Ms Hunter's other works too, but this one is often overlooked and I think it is rather nice.

I would second a lot of the other reccommendations, but these are the only strict medievals within the timeframe that I remembered.

Happy reading!
francescafromitaly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRAZIE RAGAZZE!

I'd like to thank you all for the good recs you gave me.
Some books I already know but some others I've never heard about . I'm sure I'll find something to suit my needs.

Well, I don't know you, but me I have been reading romance books for a long time and I don't seem to appreciate now as many books as I did in the past. Is it something to be expected after reading so many books which have similar plots or might it be that new books aren't as good as the ones I used to read ten years ago? I've gotten much pickier. Once I used to keep three times more books than I do now. The books I find real keepers are just a few a year, but I think I've come to appreciate things in a book that I didn't care much in the past. Now the author's writing style is often as important as the story itself. If the style is sloppy a good story doesn't save the book in my view.

Thanks again.
Francesca

Ps: sorry I'm a bit late with my reply to your kind suggestions but, you know , we're more or less seven hours ahead in Italy...when you were replying to my post I was probably sleeping!
francescafromitaly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yulie wrote:
I'll second Katherine by Anya Seton, which is great. Would Tudor/Elizabethan set books interest you too? That should allow for a broader range of options.

Well, why not Yulie, this is also a most interesting period historicals usually don't deal with. And I haven't read much set in the Golden age yet.

Recs please I'm all ears!

Francesca
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francescafromitaly wrote:
Yulie wrote:
I'll second Katherine by Anya Seton, which is great. Would Tudor/Elizabethan set books interest you too? That should allow for a broader range of options.

Well, why not Yulie, this is also a most interesting period historicals usually don't deal with. And I haven't read much set in the Golden age yet.

Recs please I'm all ears!

Francesca

Steer clear of Jane Feather's "Kiss" trilogy unless you're ready to approach it as historical fiction.

But I can heartily recommend Suzanne Robinson's Lady Gallant, Lady Valiant and Lady Defiant and Taylor Chase's Heart of Deception.
Natalie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite medieval is Uncommon Vows by Mary Jo Putney.

Others I enjoyed are

My Beloved by Karen Ranney
a series of 14th century medievals by Madeleine Hunter (starting with By Posession)
For My Lady's Heart

From Tudor/Renaissance period:
Lady Gallant by Suzanne Robinson (England under Mary Tudor)
The Notorious Woman and a Sinful Alliance by Amanda McCabe (Italy and England during Henry VII's reign, another sequel is coming out soon).
Yulie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesca, it wasn't until after I'd posted that I realized most of the 16th century set books that I've enjoyed are either historical fiction or mysteries - sorry Neutral. But I see that Natalie and Noirfemme have some ideas (which I may look at myself, so thanks!).

It's more historical fiction than romance, but I can recommend The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory. Marsha Canham's Across a Moonlit Sea, which is definitely a romance, is supposed to be very good (though much of it, I think, actually takes place at sea). A sequel, The Iron Rose, is set around 1610 and is really fun - both of these are OOP, but I'm sure used copies can be found on Amazon or eBay. Rumor has it that Canham is finally writing another book in that series. Green Darkness by Anya Seton wasn't a DIK for me but it's unusual and well-written. Parts of A Knight in Shining Armor take place in the 16th century, but I really hated that book.

AAR reviews for these books:
The Iron Rose
The Queen's Fool
A Knight in Shining Armor
Green Darkness
cheri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great keeper book is A WHISPER OF ROSES by Teresa Mederios. One of my all time favorites. cheri
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesca, you might enjoy the Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters if you haven't yet read them. They are murder mysteries, but she nearly always includes a romance between secondary characters. Cadfael is a monk at Shrewsbury Abbey in Shropshire and the setting is 12th century, largely during the period that Stephen and Matilda were squabbling over the English throne. Wonderfully realised settings, very likeable characters and altogether very readable.

Elizabeth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: