AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any recs for stories set in Alaska?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
francescafromitaly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Any recs for stories set in Alaska? Reply with quote

Hi, girls!

The ABC series Men in trees is currently being broadcast in Italy and I must confess that I , like Marin the protagonist of the series, definitely fell for those cute Alaskan guys -- and locations are awesome!

I wonder if you could suggest any good romance books that is set in Alaska ...you know, I'm making the list of the books I'd like to read this summer and I find one set in such a place...could be like refreshing for the hottest summer days! Very Happy

Grazie!

Francesca
Manda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though it's not set in Alaska, Toni Blake's Letters to a Secret Lover is somewhat based on Men in Trees. I like this book quite a bit. The hero is sexy and the heroine is chic without being materialistic.

Nora Roberts Northern Lights is set in Alaska, but I must confess that I couldn't finish it--it was very long and the heroine was a little too feisty for my taste.

Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dance with the Devil is set in Alaska, but it's a paranormal. Not sure if you like those or not.
JulieR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaryJanice Davidson wrote three books all set in an "alternate-universe" Alaska. The premise is that the US didn't buy Alaska from Russia; instead, the locals revolted and claimed independence from Russia and set up an Alaskan monarchy.

The three stories are set in roughly present time. Either the hero or heroine of each book is the child of the Alaskan king, and he is absolutely my favorite character.

The books are, in order:

The Royal Treatment
The Royal Pain
The Royal Mess

I liked the first and third books a lot, and thought the second book was okay.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands-down....Dana Stabenow's Liam Campbell mystery series
in order...
Fire and Ice
So Sure Of Death
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Better To Rest

The heroine is a pilot and the hero the police chief. Sort of like Northern Lights by Nora Roberts, which is a pretty good book, but I liked Stabenow's writing more. Besides, Liam....is something.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She Went All The Way by Meg Cabot. The back of the book says they're in the Arctic, but I think it's Alaska.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Dana Stabenow Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Hands-down....Dana Stabenow's Liam Campbell mystery series
in order...
Fire and Ice
So Sure Of Death
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Better To Rest

The heroine is a pilot and the hero the police chief. Sort of like Northern Lights by Nora Roberts, which is a pretty good book, but I liked Stabenow's writing more. Besides, Liam....is something.

xina, you beat me to it -- I was going to recommend these books as well. A heads-up that these are mysteries, not romances. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell Stabenow has dropped this series, although she's made some noises about picking it up again. Perhaps someone on these boards has more up-to-date information.
Diana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Northern Lights! And I'll jump in here and support the Stabenow books. All of these books are really atmospheric and give you a feel for the frontier spirit.

Several years ago I spent three weeks in Anchorage on business. It was early October and my rental car had frost on the windshield every morning. The locals were making fun of me for wearing a coat because it hadn't snowed yet! I was overwhelmed by the abundance of really good-looking people there -- no kidding, it's really quite eye-opening. Lots of beautiful, big, tall, healthy people. I'd love to go back.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also recommend Letters to a Secret Lover by Toni Blake - I loved it.
While these are historicals, I quite liked them:
A Handful of Heaven by Kristin Hannah
I Do, I Do, I Do by Maggie Osbourne
LeeB.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandlynn wrote:
She Went All The Way by Meg Cabot. The back of the book says they're in the Arctic, but I think it's Alaska.

It is Alaska (according to Meg Cabot's website) and I second the recommendation.

Also Lynn Kurland wrote a contemporary short story set in Alaska in the anthology "Opposites Attract."
Yulie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeB. wrote:
Sandlynn wrote:

It is Alaska (according to Meg Cabot's website) and I second the recommendation.

It should be pointed out, however, that neither the hero nor the heroine are from Alaska - both are there for a movie shoot, I believe. I thought the epilogue was pretty funny... not another "and then everyone had babies" kind of thing. Very Happy
xina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Dana Stabenow Reply with quote

xina, you beat me to it -- I was going to recommend these books as well. A heads-up that these are mysteries, not romances. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell Stabenow has dropped this series, although she's made some noises about picking it up again. Perhaps someone on these boards has more up-to-date information.[/quote]

Yes, even though they are mysteries, I think the relationship between Liam and Wy is very romantic. They are obviously in love even though they are stubborn with one another very often. As for her continuing the series...I wish she would. Maybe this is some information....

http://www.stabenow.com/novels/liam-campbell

Bones Out Of The Grave to be published in 2010?
TracyG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also loved Letters To A Secret Lover by Toni Blake. I can't believe I've never read anything by this author before. I will be looking for her backlist.

Harper's Bride by Alexis Harrington is an historical set in Alaska. It was a really good book, IMO.[/i]
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue Henry has a series of mysteries that starts with Murder on the Iditarod Trail. There's a bit of romance between Mountie Alex Jensen and musher Jessie whatshername. They're together in a few books and then Jess becomes the main protagonist in later books. (I forget why, sorry.) They're sort of quickie cozies but I particularly liked the one on the Iditarod, the race info is fascinating.

Can't believe no one's said Mrs. Mike yet.
pinkbubble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet Evanovich wrote a novella called manhunt that was inspired from the time she lived in Alaska.

I also have to recommend Northern Lights.

Also Sherrilyn Kenyons Dance with the Devil (Zareks story) is set in Alaska but the setting is about all that is alaska ish...
NoirFemme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAR's special title's listing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: