AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Susan Elizabeth Phillips Reply with quote

Hi everyone - I don't know anything about this author and woulld like your help. What kind of books does she write? Would you recommend her? If so, what books? I read a lot of paranormal and rom/suspense and I would like to try something different.

Thanks for your help
Debbie
willaful

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She writes contemporaries, on the funny side. Many are excellent. I would recommend It Had to Be You as a starter book. It's my favorite and also the beginning of a series.
RichMissTallant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As willaful said, she writes contemporaries that are really well-known for their humour. If you're looking for something on the lighter side after reading a lot of romantic suspense, definitely give her a try. She write an entire series about an NFL team, and my favourite is Match Me If You Can. There's a related thread about her book Natural Born Charmer with some general comments about SEP (including recommendations) if you want to check that out!

http://dreamingenigma.livejournal.com
graceC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE Susan Elizabeth Phillips..!! Having said that, I marked her books into 2 categories: BEFORE Fancy Pants, AFTER Fancy Pants. 'Fancy Pants' is a book she wrote that I also use as the turning point of her writing style. I have mix feelings about the book itself (too long and I find the story unnecessarily all over the place). Her trademark funny writing style didn't really come out until after Fancy Pants. A lot of her books have been reviewed here.

I think she's a perfect author to try if you want something different from suspense/thriller contemporary. She writes straight contemporary romance, no intrigue, no thriller, no suspense; just a story of boy meets girl with their funny & interesting story to their happy ending Very Happy
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to all the comments...love SEP, but has anyone noticed the NEW cover on, It Had To Be You? Cute cover, and now, I can finally buy my own copy. The first time I read it was in my first year of reading romance and it was a copy from the library. After I decided to buy my own, the cover had changed to the "breast cover". Didn't want that copy, but this one is very nice...
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/imageviewer.asp?ean=9780061555817

Noticed it at Target too and it was shelved with the pet books. Rolling Eyes
graceC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Just to add to all the comments...love SEP, but has anyone noticed the NEW cover on, It Had To Be You? Cute cover, and now, I can finally buy my own copy. The first time I read it was in my first year of reading romance and it was a copy from the library. After I decided to buy my own, the cover had changed to the "breast cover". Didn't want that copy, but this one is very nice...

Cute cover!! IIRC, the cover conveys the epilogue in one shot Smile
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graceC wrote:
xina wrote:

Does it? LOL....It's been so long since I read it, I've forgotten the epilogue. I picked up this book today...with this cover, and am in for a reread soon.
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If the dog were sitting, tangled up around a man's feet, I would agree.

But it's odd they have another new cover. It hasn't been that long since the last one. This one's 100 times better, though.
dlandros

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! I haven't read that book just because of the cover. I read in the Subway and there was no way I was going to read a book with only breasts in the cover!!!
KarenS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a great book and it's a shame its never had a better cover. The first cover is the best imo but it's just ok. The second one was average and this last cover doesn't do anything for me at all. With all the creative talents that go into designing covers why hasn't there been a little more thought or time given to designing something better? Don't want to judge a book by its cover but a really great cover could/would boost sales for it. I just love the Match Me If You Can cover. Too me, that one is terrific and you get a feel for the heroine in it. So I feel It Had To Be You is just as deserving of a wonderful cover. I don't make a big deal about covers but I guess because I like this book so much have been disappointed by the covers chosen for it.
Kayne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:

Xina, That is so funny that it was shelved with the pet books! Cute cover.

SEP is so funny. I think she has some of the most memorable funny scenes out there. I laughed so hard I cried when I read First Lady with the baby's nickname. There is another really great funny scene in one of her football series books involving cereal.

I think my favorite of her books is Match Me if You Can but Kiss An Angel with the Russian Alpha Alex and the circus theme is also pretty hot.
xina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kayne"]
xina wrote:

Xina, That is so funny that it was shelved with the pet books! Cute cover.

Isn't that funny? Those shelving people at my Target are sometimes waaay off. Last year I noticed the book by Meg Cabot...Size 12 Isn't Fat, was shelved with the diet books! I think I started laughing right there in the aisle. I would have mentioned it to a clerk, but one wasn't standing near me.
Anyway, this new cover...I'm so happy to have a book I can read in public. I do a lot of reading waiting for meetings and appointments or in the airport, waiting. I am not comfortable in public holding a book with a man's naked torso, half dressed people or even a woman with her dress falling off, so really, I wouldn't be comfortable holding a book with breasts taking up the entire cover. I think a cute dog and a pair of cute boots is pretty great. Great cover.
dlandros

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
I am not comfortable in public holding a book with a man's naked torso, half dressed people or even a woman with her dress falling off, so really, I wouldn't be comfortable holding a book with breasts taking up the entire cover.

Me neither, Xina. I would always read them - although I balked at the breast cover SEP book - but felt very uncomfortable reading Romance in public (I read mostly in the Subway). It's not only the covers but the titles!! My Wicked Fantasy? Duke of Sin? (and I liked those books but c'mon!)

So I was ecstatic when I learned about cloth book covers. I bought one of this http://fwraps.com/merchant.ihtml?cid=338&step=2 and now I'm so happy! Nobody can tell what I'm reading. Cool
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I was ecstatic when I learned about cloth book covers. I bought one of this http://fwraps.com/merchant.ihtml?cid=338&step=2 and now I'm so happy! Nobody can tell what I'm reading.

I've done the same thing, via this company:
http://www.hotpockets.net/bookjackets/

But it's not only about keeping your reading material to yourself, but about protecting the book. I take my books in and out of my backpack so often, they get knicked and scuffed up. This way, they remain in much better condition longer. I just wish more of these companies would put out stuff in vinyl so that I can also spill drinks on my books without worry. Wink

That being said, if it weren't for the protection aspect, I wouldn't be against showing off some of my reading as long as the cover were artistically tasteful -- not with clinches, heaving bosoms, or bare-chested men -- because I think showing people what you read is great promotion. I know I get a smile on my face when I see someone on the Metro reading what I know to be a romance, even if it's not obvious what type of story it is.
Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ladies. I bought "It had to be you" yesterday and planning to start it in a few days.

After reading paranormal and rom/suspense for sooooo long this is going to be really different for me. I sure hope I like it.

Oh another author/book I saw at the bookstore was Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypes (sp?). I read the back flap and it sounded really interesting. I was tempted to pick it up but I didn't want to push it. I figure I'll try SEP book first. What do you this of this book (sugar daddy).

Thanks
Debbie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: