AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Marley and Me" movie...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: "Marley and Me" movie... Reply with quote

Many of us enjoyed the book Marley and Me, a tale about a family and their rambunctious, but fun, dog. I loved the book and was looking forward to the movie too. It's coming out this December and stars Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson. Bummer. I like Aniston and she'll probably do a good job, but Owen Wilson leaves a lot to be desired as an actor, IMO. His personal problems aside (for which I'm sorry he has to contend), other than The Wedding Crashers movie in which he co-starred and performed fairly well, his acting style gets tiring long before the movie is over. Oh, well--no one in Hollywood asked for my opinion Very Happy, so I thought I'd vent here a bit.
cheri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee, I'm actually happy it doesn't come out until December just because I'd really like to read this book and I've put it off. I'm really not crazy about either actor for this movie, But what I've gotten so far is it's a dog story, not so much a people story. Let's hope they cast the right dog Very Happy for this one. P.S.It's ok to vent that's what the boards are for, praising and venting! cheri
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
Tee, I'm actually happy it doesn't come out until December just because I'd really like to read this book and I've put it off.

I know you're a dog lover, cheri, so hop to it. It was an enjoyable read. But since I've been overdosing on Cesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer) and the other show with Victoria, It's Me or the Dog, these days, I realize that much of Marley's behavior could have been changed. But then there would have been no book to enjoy! Laughing It really was very good and a cute story.

Now, my daughter is coming into town the middle of July to see Kid Rock at The Palace. I thought of you immediately. But he bounces around the state a lot and you probably get a chance to see him perform much closer to where you live.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved, loved, loved the book. I remember when I bought it...shortly after it came out, I made the clerk tell me the ending. She flatly refused but I told her I had to know. Okay...I roughed her up a little...LOL! I really did have to know what happened to Marley in the end and I bought the book and enjoyed it so much. Tee, have you ever been interested to see the movie the realy Marley was in? Remember that part in the book? Did they ever film it or did they have to switch dogs because Marley was such a troublemaker? As for the actors in this movie...I was shocked to see the names who will play these people. Aniston and Wilson don't click for me at all, but I'll see it anyway. I can't remember ever seeing Wilson in anything remotely serious...although there are tons of funnies in the book, it can be gut wrenchingly serious.
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xina wrote:
Tee, have you ever been interested to see the movie the realy Marley was in? Remember that part in the book? Did they ever film it or did they have to switch dogs because Marley was such a troublemaker?

Oh, I forgot all about that part of the book, xina. I wonder what movie it was. Maybe I'll do a google search later.

I don't mind Aniston, but Wilson just doesn't work for me at all, especially here. I think Aniston will be able to pull it off as the wife, but Wilson doesn't resemble Grogan in my mind at all. Just for fun, I downloaded a photo of Grogan with who I believe is his new dog, Gracie.

cheri

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
cheri wrote:
Tee, I'm actually happy it doesn't come out until December just because I'd really like to read this book and I've put it off.

I know you're a dog lover, cheri, so hop to it. It was an enjoyable read. But since I've been overdosing on Cesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer) and the other show with Victoria, It's Me or the Dog, these days, I realize that much of Marley's behavior could have been changed. But then there would have been no book to enjoy! Laughing It really was very good and a cute story.

Now, my daughter is coming into town the middle of July to see Kid Rock at The Palace. I thought of you immediately. But he bounces around the state a lot and you probably get a chance to see him perform much closer to where you live.

Yes I know I must read it b4 summer is up. Kid Rock is coming to DTE Energy center(the Old Pine Knob) and yes I'm going. We never miss him when he's in town.Also Kenny/Keith are coming to the Ford Field in August so will be on your side of the state for that. We just saw that show in Chicago last Saturday. Anyway, I will read it and let you know about the 2 characters and the actors playing them. cheri
xina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
xina wrote:
Tee, have you ever been interested to see the movie the realy Marley was in? Remember that part in the book? Did they ever film it or did they have to switch dogs because Marley was such a troublemaker?

Oh, I forgot all about that part of the book, xina. I wonder what movie it was. Maybe I'll do a google search later.

I don't mind Aniston, but Wilson just doesn't work for me at all, especially here. I think Aniston will be able to pull it off as the wife, but Wilson doesn't resemble Grogan in my mind at all. Just for fun, I downloaded a photo of Grogan with who I believe is his new dog, Gracie.

He doesn't really remind of Owen Wilson at all. Also, I read Grogan's blog pretty much on a regular basis and I've gotten used to his voice...again, not Wilson. You might check out his blog Tee...www.marleyandme.com
You can click on his blog on the top. He's a great writer and an excellent blogger too. Very interesting...funny too....and a great writer. Everything a blog should be. And I love hearing about his dogs and family. He seems like a neat guy.

www.marleyandme.com
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheri wrote:
Kid Rock is coming to DTE Energy center(the Old Pine Knob) and yes I'm going.

Oops, cheri--I said the Palace and meant DTE Performing Center or whatever its official name is. So, that's about the middle of July, right?

xina wrote:
You might check out his blog Tee...www.marleyandme.com
You can click on his blog on the top. He's a great writer and an excellent blogger too.

I'll check it out, xina. I'm quickly playing catch-up on what I've missed the last 24 hours over the Net. We had more storms that rolled into our area once again yesterday afternoon and this time we lost power for 12 hours and cable service for 24 hours. Thankfully, no fallen limbs from our tree, but several streets near us were not so lucky.

Grogan sounds like a pretty neat guy, according to his "voice" in the book. His blog will probably be just as good.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trailer to this movie looks cute. I recognize all the scenes from the book too, which is a good sign. Ah, but the ending. I couldn't handle it in the book so the movie will probably be worse for me. I'd still like to see it though since it's based on a true story about real dog.

http://buzzsugar.com/2381903
Tee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, what fun, xina! I can't wait. Still wish Owen Wilson wasn't in it, but what the heck. Don't feel bad about anticipating crying. Near the end of the trailer, for goodness sake, I was already tearing.
xina

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
Oh, what fun, xina! I can't wait. Still wish Owen Wilson wasn't in it, but what the heck. Don't feel bad about anticipating crying. Near the end of the trailer, for goodness sake, I was already tearing.

Yeah...I was tearing up at the end of the trailer too. I've always been like that with anything about a dog...even Lassie made me cry when I was young. Oh well.
Love that Kathleen Turner plays the part of the dog trainer. What perfect casting. And the scene where he runs after a squirrel and drags the table with him...so funny, and true besides.
As for Owen Wilson, I'm not a fan either, but watching the trailer I see that he looks so much like the author, John Grogan, and even sounds like him too. Owen Wilson can be funny. I don't think much of his private life, but I try not to let that spoil the fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: