AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the point?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: What's the point? Reply with quote

I recently bought one of the new-sized paperbacks--JAK's Sizzle & Burn--for a hefty price, especially by Walmart standards. I can't figure out what the advantage of the new size is supposed to be. True, the spacing between the lines is greater, I suppose with the idea that more white space makes the text easier to read. I can't recall having trouble with the old line spacing though. Further, the new size is not only awkward to hold, but nigh onto impossible to shelve in spaces created for the old size paperbacks. Is there some greater profit in producing the new size? Do authors get a better royalty? What's the point? Does anybody know?
willaful

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just won a ginormous, hardcover size paperback, is that the kind you mean? I agree, it's a terribly inconvenient size and damned if I know how I'm going to store it.
Amanda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are talking about what I think you are, chick lit tends to be published in the larger book and page format. I wonder if that gives it more credibility? Maybe buyers feel more pretentious?
LeeB.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda wrote:
If you are talking about what I think you are, chick lit tends to be published in the larger book and page format.

Actually Amanda, a lot of chick is published in trade size. I believe Dick is talking about the size between mass market and trade size. Those books can fit in the racks at drugstores and such widthwise but not heightwise.
Amanda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the size is then. I still like throwing out options, though. Very Happy Maybe they got a huge shipment of awkwardly shaped paper and the JAK book was up for publication. . .
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick, I'm with you on those longer size paperbacks, I stopped reading Christine Feehan when she went to those. Not only do they cost more but they're difficult to hold and they don't fit on my bookshelf. The only reasoning I can think of is publishers found a way to try and squeeze out more of a profit. I refuse to buy them.

Linda
library addict

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall reading an article that said the reading population was getting older and they tested the taller format and many people found them easier to hold and read.

Personally, I find the taller mmpb awkward to hold, and they do mess up bookshelves Razz Not to mention, I think they were priced a $1 more than regular sized mmpbs. I didn’t realize they were still publishing them. I know there were quite a few titles released in the format in 2005-06, but I have seen only regular sized ones since. At least, for the books I‘ve purchased.

Linda in sw va wrote:
Dick, I'm with you on those longer size paperbacks, I stopped reading Christine Feehan when she went to those. Not only do they cost more but they're difficult to hold and they don't fit on my bookshelf. The only reasoning I can think of is publishers found a way to try and squeeze out more of a profit. I refuse to buy them.

Christine Feehan's Night Game is the only book I own with the taller size. I'm halfway convinced it's one of the reasons I did not like the book Razz All of her Drake Sisters and Game series pbs since then have been regular size.

For the record, I'm not a fan of trade-sized books either. Give me hc edtions or regular sized mmpb and I'm happy Smile
xina

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed Nora Roberts books in Target in that size. Perhaps you could ask her??? Smile Anyway....I find them terribly inconvenient and hope theay stop making that size sometime soon. I don't mind the tradesize...the long oddshape books drive me crazy. I think I stay away from them on purpose. I don't own or read hardly any of that size.
Kristie(J)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the point is more money for the publishers. Confused
Schola

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

I have that size for all of Julia Quinn's Bridgerton books and the few Christine Feehan Carpathian and Ghostwalker novels in my collection.

The size doesn't bother me because I have so many books that I end up stacking them on the shelves rather than lining them up anyway. Sometimes I arrange them like tiles (some vertical, some horizontal) just so that they fit).

What I really like about these bigger ones is the cover art. Those are books I'd never cover in public.
Niftybergin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the point? Reply with quote

dick wrote:
I recently bought one of the new-sized paperbacks--JAK's Sizzle & Burn--for a hefty price, especially by Walmart standards.

I've heard these larger-size mass markets being referred to as "venti-sized." From what I understand, the new format is intended to cater to the aging public. Supposedly, they're more readable. I dunno. I won't buy them because of the cost. Two dollars more seems ludicrous to me. (I'm a hard-ass when it comes to book-prices. I won't buy trade-sized books, either, because of the cost.)

Quote:
I've noticed Nora Roberts books in Target in that size.

How many of Nora's books in this size have you noticed? I believe that Northern Lights came out in this format, and there was an outcry amongst her readers. Over on Adwoff, Nora asked us what we thought and the general consensus was that we disliked it. After that, I've not seen another NR title in this venti-sized format (other than Northern Lights).
xina

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the point? Reply with quote

Quote:
I've noticed Nora Roberts books in Target in that size.

How many of Nora's books in this size have you noticed? I believe that Northern Lights came out in this format, and there was an outcry amongst her readers. Over on Adwoff, Nora asked us what we thought and the general consensus was that we disliked it. After that, I've not seen another NR title in this venti-sized format (other than Northern Lights).[/quote]

I think there are quite a few! I'll take note the next time I'm in Target.
LizA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am probably wrong, but I think sometimes these large paparbacks are published right after the hardcover, and only later the normal paperback. Seemed to me like another step in between - cheaper than hardcover but more expensive than soft cover.
I have at least one Nora Roberts novel in that size, I think it is Tribute but I might be wrong....
Nicole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I don't like the larger paperbacks either. Change is bad. They always mess up my line of books, and it drives me crazy. I don't buy them, but sometimes when I buy books online used, or trade them, I'll get the longer paperbacks. It's annoying because now that I have the book I don't want to re-buy it to sooth my anal retentiveness. I have a few series where I couldn't wait for the book to come out in paperback so I bought it in hardback and it looks stupid lined up with all the other ones. However those occasions are always my fault so it bothers me less.
Schola

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it, yes, I'd be very pissed if a larger size messed up the way I arrange my books. Whether they are standing up or lying down, there has to be a standard that they follow.

I guess I didn't have a chance to be bothered because I started my Quinn and Feehan collections with those larger books. If I started with the regular mass market sized ones and only then had to deal with the upsize, then I wouldn't be amused.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: