AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gay/Bi-sexual Men in romance
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Gay/Bi-sexual Men in romance Reply with quote

Hello! I'm looking for historical romance books, or just plain historical fiction, where the hero is either gay or bi-sexual. I don't really like contemporaries but you can include suggestions for those too. Please note that I am *not* looking for erotica or romantica.

Thanks very much! Very Happy

Last edited by Acorn on Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeeD

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha Kane has a series, Brothers In Arms, that are historicals featuring menage scenarios. I don't remember if the men are bi or not, by Ellora's Cave describes them as: "Regency-set / Menage a trois or More / Gay / 19th Century Historical ". I believe you can purchase them in ebook or TSP.
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Gay Heroine(s) Reply with quote

It has a lesbian rather than a gay romance, but Michelle Martin's Pembroke Park has a very good reputation.

There is also a Regency I heard of years ago that had a M/M/F triangle, but I don't remember the name or author -- sorry.
KarenS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana Gabaldon of the Outlander series does a nice off-short with Lord John Gray who is gay. You meet him in the first book and he appears periodically in the subsequent books. Then Gabaldon featured him in his own book Lord John and the Private Matter and IIRC a second story was recently released.
Manda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ann Herendeen self published Phyllida and the Brotherhood of Philander a couple of years ago and it's coming out from Harper Collins in May. It is a regency-set historical that features a gay hero who falls in love with his wife, but also loves another man.
Acorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manda wrote:
Ann Herendeen self published Phyllida and the Brotherhood of Philander a couple of years ago and it's coming out from Harper Collins in May. It is a regency-set historical that features a gay hero who falls in love with his wife, but also loves another man.

Thanks so much for that recommendation. I've heard of the book before. Here's a link to it. I will definitely be reading it one day.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! Please keep them coming. Very Happy
Yulie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure this is what you have in mind, but in The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (setting: 1880-90s, London & New York City), there is a major character who's gay. I'm not sure you can call him the hero of the book (well, probably not) but he plays a big role and is very much a part of the heroine's life, and in a very positive way.
Acorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally I'll be getting THE TEA ROSE pretty soon!
mlg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you asked about historical romance and not fantasy, but Lynn Flewelling's fantasy Nightrunner series is very good. The first is Luck in the Shadows, then Stalking Darkness, Traitors Moon and she has Shadows Return coming out soon. The relationship between the two heros develops nicely. Very Happy
Susan/DC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: this is the one Reply with quote

Acorn wrote:
Manda wrote:

Thanks so much for that recommendation. I've heard of the book before. Here's a link to it. I will definitely be reading it one day.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! Please keep them coming. Very Happy

This is the Regency I mentioned where I couldn't remember the title or author. Glad to hear it's coming out (so to speak) soon from HarperCollins, as it will be much more widely available. Wonder whether bookstores will shelve it under Gay/Lesbian or under Romance?
styles31

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: gay men in romance Reply with quote

Lee Rowen has one out called "Ransom," and it's about two men who are in the Navy. It takes place in the 1790's where being gay was punishable by death. I haven't read it yet but it sounded pretty good based on the descriptions given on amazon.com.
LFL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind reading a M/M romance, I recommend E.M. Forster's classic novel Maurice. It was written and set in the Edwardian era but not published until the 1970s. The novel follows the main character first in an unhappy relationship with one man and then as he finds happiness with another man.
Maysa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Maurice so, so much. I think my favorite thing about the book was how Maurice's sexuality ends up being a positive force in his life - despite how society views it.
Vellorine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah Waters' Fingersmith immediately comes to my mind.
MMcA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Mary Renault's 'The Charioteer'. It's not really historical or contemporary - it was written in the 50s, and set just after Dunkirk. Hero is recovering in hospital, and falls for one of the orderlies who is a conscientious objector. The orderly, while he's clearly attracted, is too innocent to be properly aware of the nature of the hero's interest.

It's not a straight romance, though it does have a HEA - the author looks at things like how it affects people when their sexuality is unacknowledged, unaccepted and illegal - it's just a beautifully written book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: