AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sarah McCarty's "Running Wild"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Sarah McCarty's "Running Wild" Reply with quote

Maybe it's because I've read everything by McCarty and I'm getting tired of her books, but frankly, I was disappointed in "Running Wild," although I'm not sure other people will be.

"Running Wild" is a trilogy about three were wolves, called Protectors, who find their true mates with three human sisters. I really liked that McCarty got right into the essential plot and moved it right along. It begins with Lisa Delaney who is attacking, very successfully with a cue stick to the groin and the neck (!), the man who abused her sister. When she leaves the bar, I thought, "oh, no, now we have to go home and meet the sister and see their life together, etc.," but fortunately, McCarty is a better story teller and the focus on the romance continued. I liked all her characters, especially the men (I ALWAYS love her men), but I wanted more, more, more characterization and less sex. That's usually my reaction to her books.

You know when some sex scenes are so unique that you can't stop reading them, and others are ho-hum, even if they are explicit? Well, for me, this book was the latter, and again, I don't know if that's just my reaction or a relevant comment about McCarty. Sometimes explicit sex scenes are just boring because something--I can't put my finger on what--is missing. Maybe the author herself is just bored. Sad, but true.

So, if you've read this book, please, I'd be interested in your assessment.
sssspro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I get what you're saying, but I don't necessarily agree. I have only read her Promises books, so this is the first of her books I've read in a while. I agree, that I could have used more. More characterizations, more plot building, more world building, etc.

But this was an anthology of 3 short stories, for THAT aspect I thought she did a good job. I am not an anthology fan since I very rarely find them to be satisfying enough. I actually did not think there was too much sex in these books, considering their length, it was not one long boink-a-thon. I DO agree, however, that the sex for all of the sisters was very similar. The overbearing, alpha-esque LARGE werewolves. Restraining themselves for their human lovers... I could have used a little more variation than that, though it worked for the characters she had drawn here (Kelon, Donovan and Wyatt.)
Jenny

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sarah McCarty's "Running Wild" Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
Maybe it's because I've read everything by McCarty and I'm getting tired of her books, but frankly, I was disappointed in "Running Wild," although I'm not sure other people will be.

"Running Wild" is a trilogy about three were wolves, called Protectors, who find their true mates with three human sisters. I really liked that McCarty got right into the essential plot and moved it right along. It begins with Lisa Delaney who is attacking, very successfully with a cue stick to the groin and the neck (!), the man who abused her sister. When she leaves the bar, I thought, "oh, no, now we have to go home and meet the sister and see their life together, etc.," but fortunately, McCarty is a better story teller and the focus on the romance continued. I liked all her characters, especially the men (I ALWAYS love her men), but I wanted more, more, more characterization and less sex. That's usually my reaction to her books.

You know when some sex scenes are so unique that you can't stop reading them, and others are ho-hum, even if they are explicit? Well, for me, this book was the latter, and again, I don't know if that's just my reaction or a relevant comment about McCarty. Sometimes explicit sex scenes are just boring because something--I can't put my finger on what--is missing. Maybe the author herself is just bored. Sad, but true.

So, if you've read this book, please, I'd be interested in you
r assessment.

You are not alone Lynda, I feel the same way.

I noticed the change in sex scenes already in Promises Reveal and Cain's Reckoning. They were not as hot or as memorable as in the first three Promises books. Maybe it is a publisher thing.

And I too have trouble pointing out what is missing I just know that that something special is not there anymore.

At first I thoght it is all the unneccessary dialog and inner thoughts during the sex scenes. Sometimes I felt like she took too long to get to the point and the road there was not at all interesting.

Jenny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: