AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Music and Lyrics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynda X

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Music and Lyrics Reply with quote

If you like Hugh Grant, as I do, you will really like "Music and Lyrics." It opens with an over-the-top video of his 1980's bank, Pop, which is so much fun to watch, plus the tune is very catchy. Then, we see him, quite a few years later, now a "has been" as he is being pitched a place in a new t.v. series where "has been" rock stars fight (literally) other has-beens to be able to sing. A few scenes later he meets Drew Barrymore who becomes his lyricist as they try to write a song for a Brittany-Spears-parody (but nice) singer. Hugh Grant is his usual sardonic self as Drew keeps right up there with him, although she's more sincere than sarcastic. I loved this movie and wonder if the rest of you liked it as much as I do.
PS You can get run it, any time, on HBO, if you subscribe.
PPS If you like Hugh Grant, and you haven't seen "Four Weddings and a Funeral," go rent it. RIGHT NOW!
Margaret

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Music and Lyrics Reply with quote

Quote:
Lynda X wrote:
If you like Hugh Grant, as I do, you will really like "Music and Lyrics." It opens with an over-the-top video of his 1980's bank, Pop, which is so much fun to watch, plus the tune is very catchy. Then, we see him, quite a few years later, now a "has been" as he is being pitched a place in a new t.v. series where "has been" rock stars fight (literally) other has-beens to be able to sing. A few scenes later he meets Drew Barrymore who becomes his lyricist as they try to write a song for a Brittany-Spears-parody (but nice) singer. Hugh Grant is his usual sardonic self as Drew keeps right up there with him, although she's more sincere than sarcastic. I loved this movie and wonder if the rest of you liked it as much as I do.
PS You can get run it, any time, on HBO, if you subscribe.
PPS If you like Hugh Grant, and you haven't seen "Four Weddings and a Funeral," go rent it. RIGHT NOW!

I liked Music and Lyrics way more than I thought I would. I think because he got he was a has-been, but she saw him thru 'new' eyes. Really nice movie. I loved 4 Weddings but hated Andie McDowell's character...love the actress who played Hugh's on-screen sister in that movie, and also loved his brother...okay it had a great supporting cast....except McDowell. Very Happy
Anna B

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Music and Lyrics. Great casting all around, and I'm impresed that Hugh Grant actually (hah, pun unintended) learned how to sing and play piano for the role. There's some dedication. I think he did one of his better performances as the has-been-who-knows-it but isn't ready to give up yet. The line "that was dinner" will always make me swoon, and I like to think that Alex and Sophie would have a long and loving partnership both professionally and personally. HEA for sure. Happy sigh.

Ditto on the recommend for Four Weddings and a Funeral. Hated Andie MacDowell's performance, though. Yes, pretty, but the acting not so much. Hugh was fabulous in Love Actually also. Ooh, and possibly a challenging hunt for those of us on the US side of the Atlantic, but an early gem, The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain is a real charmer.

--Lucille Ball
LizE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Music and Lyrics was really fun, but then I love Hugh Grant. The only movie of his I won't watch again was Four Weddings . . . for the same reason as the other posters: that McDowell woman. Nails on a blackboard.

But the reason I posted is that no one has mentioned my absolutely favorite Hugh Grant movie of all time, About a Boy. What a great flick, I've seen it a bunch of times and still love it.
Lynda X

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love "Ab0ut a Boy" too and think that Grant is not given nearly as much credit as he deserves in his roles, especially that one. I love his character change, his reluctance to get involved--although he does--and his willingness to make a fool out of himself to save the boy. It was great too that we can understand why the boy doesn't fit in, that he's not just an adorable moppet, and that he thinks and acts like a real kid, a kid who truly loves his mother and is rightfully concerned about her. I also loved the kind of gentle poking fun at the mother, a woman who loves her son but her ideals prevent her from allowing him to be just a kid. This is a terrific, terrific movie.

Does Hugh Grant remind you of Cary Grant? I can't put my finger on why he does for me, but he does. Maybe because they are both so charming?
Anna B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

::smacks self in head:: Why did I not mention About A Boy? Charming, heartwarming, hilarious and very very "true" in capturing those families we form through everyday encounters. The last Christmas scene always gives me the warm fuzzies.

--Lucille Ball
LeeB.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugh Grant movies! Love this discussion.

I thought the young girl singer in Music & Lyrics was hysterical. Not a huge fan of Drew Barrymore (she always seems to play herself; hmm, so does Hugh), but an okay movie.

Four Weddings and a Funeral: One of my favorite movies; Andie McDowell doesn't bother me but why did she choose such an ugly wedding dress?

About A Boy: Very cute story.

Notting Hill: Even though I'm not a huge fan of Julia Roberts, I like this movie a lot. Alec Baldwin had a great cameo.

Love Actually: LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: