AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From Today's NYT...discuss
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elizabeth Rolls

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I can eventually download books from my library instantly, why would I need to buy any?

This might be the crossover point between "reader" and "bibliophile"? Wink

Elizabeth
MarianneM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reader vs. bibliophile ... note to Elizabeth Reply with quote

I'm in complete agreement with you, Elizabeth. Bibliophiles, book lovers, gather their books around them like a cloak of protection. The safety and stimulation of owning these books physically is greatly reassuring. It certainly is for me. And when I'm considering whether to read one of the new books which have just arrived, or one of my old friends, I can stroll down the shelves and scan through my treasures to see what will please my mood. Maybe I'll find a book I didn't at the moment remember until I saw it on the shelf.

These are my friends. They recall pleasures I have had with them, or promise future enjoyments. And they're physically there, whenever I need them.

I can't picture feeling this way about an electronic device which may potentially give me access to one book or another, but doesn't hold the stored up treasures of past memories. Sometimes, I don't even know what book I want to read, until I scan what I've got filed carefully, alphabetically by author, on my shelves. In a way, it's like a treasure hunt, with pleasures and delights at the end of it.

MarianneM
kspears

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am turning into an old curmudgeon. I am tired of buying new technology and trying to keep up with it. I believe what turned me into an old curmudgeon was blu-ray. I had just started to replace all of my vhs tapes with dvd's, purchased a combo dvd/video player...when all of a sudden here comes blue ray.

I am tired of seeing a race of human beings walking around with cell-phones plastered to their heads or going out with someone for a nice dinner and being interrupted by that all important call. Or walking past someone who is talking to themselves, you think they are one of those crazy people, until you see that plastice thing sticking in their ear. Oh, they must really be important. And, I really don't want to hear their personal problems while picking up a loaf of bread at the grocery store.

Technology, I just cannot keep up, so unless I can no longer buy a crinkly, smell of ink book I will probably not enter into ebook technology.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Romance Potpourri Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: