AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lover Enshrined
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Thanks Lea Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank Lea for the great review of Lover Enshrined. You articulated well most of the problems I had with this book though you are more forgiving about the direction Ward is taking this series. I had always been looking forward to Rehvenge's story, but then I had been looking forward to Phury's as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the 496pg "insider's guide" Ward is releasing in Oct?
Diana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Lea Reply with quote

lada wrote:

Does anyone have any thoughts about the 496pg "insider's guide" Ward is releasing in Oct?

I'm sure I can live without it! Laughing I think it's pretty cynical and mercenary to make readers think they have to buy a guide to stay in the loop for books we've already paid for. Sherrilynn Kenyon has one out now for her series and someone published a Nora Roberts guide a few years ago. Bah!! I did buy the Outlandish Companion for Gabaldon's books, but in my heart of hearts I resent that I had to do so.

Lea, I'm pretty much in sync with your review. I'm still on board for the Brotherhood books but I won't be buying the insider's guide.
melann

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Lea Reply with quote

Diana wrote:

I think it's pretty cynical and mercenary to make readers think they have to buy a guide to stay in the loop for books we've already paid for.

I agree, but are the people who already own the books the intended audience for the guide? I realize the rabid fans will buy it, but if she's taking the series away from romance and into urban fantasy (or whatever) maybe it has another purpose.

Presumably, as urban fantasy the books will no longer be shelved exclusively in the romance section. Perhaps this guide is a way for potential new, non-romance fans to play catch-up without having to lower themselves to visit the romance aisle in the bookstore for the backlist - at least until the backlist can be re-issued without "Romance" on the spine and with some blurbs from non-romance authors.

How's that for cynical?
Diana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Lea Reply with quote

melann wrote:
Diana wrote:

I think it's pretty cynical and mercenary to make readers think they have to buy a guide to stay in the loop for books we've already paid for.

I agree, but are the people who already own the books the intended audience for the guide? I realize the rabid fans will buy it, but if she's taking the series away from romance and into urban fantasy (or whatever) maybe it has another purpose.

Presumably, as urban fantasy the books will no longer be shelved exclusively in the romance section. Perhaps this guide is a way for potential new, non-romance fans to play catch-up without having to lower themselves to visit the romance aisle in the bookstore for the backlist - at least until the backlist can be re-issued without "Romance" on the spine and with some blurbs from non-romance authors.

How's that for cynical?

Okay, you made me laugh! Who knows what they're thinking. And OMG those hot cover photos will have to bite the dust as well. Perhaps a cover quote from Steven Hawking?

As I said about another author, I guess I can't blame any author for doing whatever she can to rake in the bucks while she's hot. It reminds me of when my daughter was about 10 and she and her friends were mad for New Kids on the Block. We parents paid a ridiculous price for concert tickets and $30 for a t-shirt. Sure enough that was their summer for sucking up the big bucks because they were nobodies pretty quickly. I hope those boys invested their money wisely.
angela

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm kinda torn about how I feel about this book and the series as a whole is going.I think this this is about on par with Lover Unbound for me,maybe a bit better and definitely better then Butch's book.I actually like Cormia and Phury but felt they needed ALOT more screen time.I just finished rereading Lover Eternal and am now rereading Lover Awakened and really there is no comparison between these earlier books and the ones Ms. Ward is now writing.

I will NOT be buying Rhev's book when and if it comes out in hardback..I will not pay 20 or more dollars on a book that will barely feature him and his mate.To think I have been looking forward to his book too.What a freaking letdown.

I am an avid reader of Urban fantasy,some of my favorite series belong in that category,but I am actually dissapointed that this series is going in that direction.For me the best parts of the BDB books is the romance.I'm not sure I will be buying anymore of Ms Ward's books.

Angela
Lynda X

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have any idea when Rhev's book is coming out?
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynda X wrote:
Anybody have any idea when Rhev's book is coming out?

Hardback in May 2009?
iluvarake

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started this book today and I'm becoming irritated with Phury. He's sitting around stoned all the time and being a real dumbass. He's sending Cormia back without actually having the stones to ASK her what she wants.

I am really getting tired of his moping.
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iluvarake wrote:
I just started this book today and I'm becoming irritated with Phury. He's sitting around stoned all the time and being a real dumbass. He's sending Cormia back without actually having the stones to ASK her what she wants.

I am really getting tired of his moping.

They all mope and wallow in self pity, constantly. This is one reason I am having less and less interest in them. I've lost patience with their constant pity parties; I suck..I'm a terrible person..I don't deserve to be loved....I hate myself..I'm rotten..I don't deserve any better..I should just stay like this and punish myself forever...boohoohooo. Wink

Linda
iluvarake

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, they're all worried about the race dying out but they continue to practice parenting as if extinction was their goal! Practically every kid is victim to neglect and abuse if not starvation. I don't think the Lessers are their biggest problem!

They need parenting classes, STAT!
iluvarake

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 241 and he's still just castigating himself and firing up blunt after blunt! Is he going to actually DO anything in this whole book?
Linda in sw va

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iluvarake wrote:
Page 241 and he's still just castigating himself and firing up blunt after blunt! Is he going to actually DO anything in this whole book?

The weed smoking is another issue, what a turn-off. Rolling Eyes

Linda
ps - parenting classes indeed! LOL
iluvarake

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, he's grossing me out. He knows how Cormia feels about him and he feels the same for her, but he just chose Layla to be his first mate???? What is he even thinking? His story now makes no sense - it's as though his behavior is calculated to make everyone around him miserable, including himself! This doesn't seem like Phury from the other books at all!
iluvarake

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These two are just a trainwreck.

What kills me is I paid $20 for Rehvenge's story because I was really kind of into these (even though they're really kind of preposterous) until the end of Vishous' book.
iluvarake

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILERS below

Please excuse my rants. This book has got me screaming! It would probably be a wallbanger if I weren't reading it on my laptop!

So she leaves in great distress and his bright idea, his brilliant plan to make it right is to finally put down his doobage to go buy HEROIN?????

This author has clearly lost the plot - in the British meaning in addition to the literal meaning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: