AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

where has all the eye candy gone?!?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikki

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: where has all the eye candy gone?!? Reply with quote

television used to be the place i could go to if i wanted to visually lick upon some of the most delicious eye candy on a weekly basis. not any more...

the final straw was when i saw my most beloved piece of chocolate leave law & order:

so who's left? please someone, there has GOT to be some eye candy left on television, or am i stuck with checking the movie theatres?!?

my blog (do not click if you're easily offended)
xina

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: where has all the eye candy gone?!? Reply with quote

nikki, I don't watch Law and Order, but I'd feel really bad, now, if I did! I can appreciate his deliciousness from this picture. As for any others...eye candy that is, well, I've always watched ER for Goran Visjnic (sp) and on the same show...darn it, John Stamos is looking better and better. I also love Jake Weber who plays Joe on The Medium. I don't know, I probably love his character just as much as his looks.
I stink at posting pictures...so, if you get around to it, maybe you could post these guys! ]

one more...Jonathon Rhys Myers (spelled wrong, I think..) on THE TUDORS on Showtime. Boo...we don't get Showtime, but still...nice eye candy.
Nana

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omar Epps and Hugh Laurie on House, admittedly for not even vaguely similar reasons.

Also, Stanley Cup finals! That Sid Crosby is a cutie.
LLB

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: where has all the eye candy gone?!? Reply with quote

nikki wrote:
television used to be the place i could go to if i wanted to visually lick upon some of the most delicious eye candy on a weekly basis. not any more...

Nikki -

It's interesting, but eye candy is so much more prevalent on U.S. TV shows than elsewhere. Look at shows on BBCA, and while there is often one good looking character, most of them are not. They tend to look like real people, which I find refreshing.
Guenevere

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually was thinking about this while watching the last episode of The Tudors. That show is full of freakishly good looking people. Just about everyone - except for some of the older priests - is like really, really, ridiculously good looking (to quote - or perhaps mangle a quote - from Ben Stiller in Zoolander).

Maybe for some of the female characters, it's partly the elaborate hairstyles and costumes. But still, the casting requirements on that show must be pretty stringent in regards to the actors' looks.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. The loveliness of the cast, along with the costumes and sets, makes the show very aesthetically pleasing. But it doesn't make it feel very grittily realistic. Of course, not much in The Tudors screams "gritty realism" - I realized that last season when they had Cardinal Wolsey committing hari-kiri, which didn't seem quite right to me. So I looked it up, and it turned out that he'd died of an illness. I guess the knife to the gut was a little more dramatic.
Kerstin

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guenevere wrote:
I actually was thinking about this while watching the last episode of The Tudors. That show is full of freakishly good looking people. Just about everyone - except for some of the older priests - is like really, really, ridiculously good looking (to quote - or perhaps mangle a quote - from Ben Stiller in Zoolander).

Maybe for some of the female characters, it's partly the elaborate hairstyles and costumes. But still, the casting requirements on that show must be pretty stringent in regards to the actors' looks.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. The loveliness of the cast, along with the costumes and sets, makes the show very aesthetically pleasing. But it doesn't make it feel very grittily realistic. Of course, not much in The Tudors screams "gritty realism" - I realized that last season when they had Cardinal Wolsey committing hari-kiri, which didn't seem quite right to me. So I looked it up, and it turned out that he'd died of an illness. I guess the knife to the gut was a little more dramatic.

LOL!!! I'm waiting for that show actually which will be shown here in June. I haven't expected too much gritty realism here either. But it is true: If all the characters look extraordinarily handsome, some of the impact such a show can have gets really lost. Sometimes I'm in the mood for pure soap opera and then the ridiculously handsome (great expression BTW) tie in well with that mood but if you're in for something more dark and gritty or simply more human and authentic American TV shows or movies are usually not my first choice. BBC films and miniseries usually convey a more realistic view on how people actually look(ed) liked and that adds to an authentic feeling atmosphere which sucks you into the plot more stronger.

Kerstin
lijakaca

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana wrote:
Omar Epps and Hugh Laurie on House, admittedly for not even vaguely similar reasons.

Also, Stanley Cup finals! That Sid Crosby is a cutie.

Heehee, the playoffs are what I watch recently too - though all the playoff beards are not a superstition I approve of Razz OK, the hockey action is fun to watch, but the guys don't hurt either:

Sidney Crosby:

Henrik Zetterberg

Niklas Lidstrom

Ryan Malone

Pavel Datsyuk

I hope these work! Yee gods the Datsyuk one is huge, gonna find a new one...

Oh, and though they're out of the playoffs, Jarome Iginla:

NoirFemme

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: where has all the eye candy gone?!? Reply with quote

LLB wrote:
nikki wrote:

Nikki -

It's interesting, but eye candy is so much more prevalent on U.S. TV shows than elsewhere. Look at shows on BBCA, and while there is often one good looking character, most of them are not. They tend to look like real people, which I find refreshing.

I've noticed that. Do you think it's because they take acting more seriously than we do? That Americans equate acting with glamour and Hollywood, while the British harken back to Sarah Siddons, Edmund Kean, Henry Irving, etc?
KarenS

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe, we're just so superficial and shallow. We place way too much emphasis on appearances. I was disheartened by the comments on the ATBF Board where women don't want to read romances where the hero isn't handsome. As if a pretty face and nice body is the end-all, be-all of a person. I know it's fantasy but character development should tell us that an average-looking guy or an ugly guy can be absolutely perfect for the heroine of the story.
Nana

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think it's wrong to judge what Americans think by what Los Angeles thinks that America thinks. L.A. is famously one of the most beauty-obsessed places in the country, and casting directors there (and also in New York) have a distorted perception of reality. Most people I know, for instance, think Nicollette Sheridan of Desperate Housewives looks like an alien, and yet they think she looks good.

A good example of this is when Hollywood is totally taken aback by someone who becomes a sex symbol. How, for instance, did Adam Sandler (with a mullet, no less) end up carrying romantic comedies like The Wedding Singer if people in the US only want handsome heroes? What about Jack Black, or even Tom Hanks, who is far from conventionally good looking?

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I'd like to hear about people's UNLIKELY sex symbols. My number one has to be Sean Astin as Sam in Lord of the Rings. Loyalty, tenacity, courage, honesty, AND a good cook? Forget the prancing elf. I'm freaking there.
MaryK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: where has all the eye candy gone?!? Reply with quote

LLB wrote:
That's funny because I've been noticing the same thing recently. I wish I could remember what made me start noticing it. Their shows also don't seem to equate sexual attractiveness with the perfect body as much as ours do.
lijakaca

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana wrote:
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I'd like to hear about people's UNLIKELY sex symbols. My number one has to be Sean Astin as Sam in Lord of the Rings. Loyalty, tenacity, courage, honesty, AND a good cook? Forget the prancing elf. I'm freaking there.

Totally agree with your whole post, Nana. Although I am somewhat uneasy about letting Hollywood 'do its thing' because of how much young women could be influenced by these unrealistic beauty standards.

As for unlikely sex symbols, I was astonished when I started finding Grissom in CSI just as attractive as the younger 'eye candy' guys - with him it was his knowledge, insight and maturity that made him sexy.

But I wouldn't be surprised if women are more likely than men to accept non-'eye candy' sex symbols - movies and TV are much more forgiving of male actors who are less than Hollywood perfect. I can't think of one woman over size 12 (that is to say, on the bigger side of average) who's accepted to be sexy in pop culture.

It seems like when an actress is referred to as 'full-figured' or 'heavier than average', it means she's a size 6 instead of a size 2, or has breast implants while retaining her boyish waist and hips.
georgie Lee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all the eye candy is on pay TV and BBC America. There's a good amount of eye candy on The Tudors. BBC offers some eye candy on Robin Hood thanks to Richard Armitage and MI5 has the hunky Matthew McFayden from Pride and Prejudice. Network TV is a vast wasteland.
www.georgie-lee.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: