AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendation Letters -- Need Advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schola

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Recommendation Letters -- Need Advice Reply with quote

+IHS+

Hi, everyone!

I'm an ESL teacher in my other life and am currently applying to different schools. Naturally, I must provide recommendation letters to each prospective employer.

My question is about multiple copies. I mean, it's one thing to ask my former principal to print and sign, say, five copies of the same letter, but I'm obviously going to run out of them if I keep sending out applications. So how does one "stretch" one letter to as many copies as one needs?

A friend said something about PDF files, but I have no idea how that's done. Confused

I hope this wasn't a really dumb question! Embarassed Thanks to anyone who replies!

Schola
HeatherB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm an ESL teacher in my other life and am currently applying to different schools. Naturally, I must provide recommendation letters to each prospective employer.

My question is about multiple copies. I mean, it's one thing to ask my former principal to print and sign, say, five copies of the same letter, but I'm obviously going to run out of them if I keep sending out applications. So how does one "stretch" one letter to as many copies as one needs?

Schola,

I know that you stated that you must include references, but unless it says on the application that you must I would put references availabe upon request on my resume and then make your principal aware that you may need several recomendations, so that he/she can save your letter and easily make other copies. If you need additional copies, bring in an stamped and addressed envelope to make it as easy as possible.

I guess the application system here is different, because we can apply for any state posted teaching position online. If there is interest, then the employer contacts you and you provide additional information at that point. It makes things much easier for the employer and the applicant.

HeatherB
lijakaca

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in 'mass application' mode, if an application or resume submission asked for references to be attached I photocopied them and would bring the originals to any interviews.

Oh, and what I also would do is include a list of references, but say "Letter available on request" instead of the actual letter.

It was an actual document listing the name, title, etc. of each referrer.
Schola

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really helpful advice, HeatherB and Lijakaca! Very Happy Thanks so much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: