AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bewitched by Sandra Schwab

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xina

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Bewitched by Sandra Schwab Reply with quote

The reviewer gave the book a D, but I would give it a strong B. I am not a fan of paranormal fiction in the romance section. I pass it by...however, when it comes to a witch book that is not erotica, has a lovely cover and is written by an author I admire, I think twice. I'm glad I did because I very much liked this book. The heroine is a witch who has made one too many mistakes with her magic. Her family takes her power away and sends her to London to find a husband. With no magic, she does find one...Sebastian Stapleton aka "Fox". When I first started the book I thought it would be more of a comedy, but it isn't really. There are some amusing parts, but mostly I enjoyed being in their world. Also, the hero is red-haired, which is very rare in romance fiction. And he is sexy too! Fun book, beautiful writing with a very romantic ending.
Natalie

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red-haired hero! I'll definitely check it out Wink
And I did like The Lily Brand, one of the most unusual romance books I'd read...
Margaret

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bewitched by Sandra Schwab Reply with quote

Quote:
xina wrote:
The reviewer gave the book a D, but I would give it a strong B. I am not a fan of paranormal fiction in the romance section. I pass it by...however, when it comes to a witch book that is not erotica, has a lovely cover and is written by an author I admire, I think twice. I'm glad I did because I very much liked this book. The heroine is a witch who has made one too many mistakes with her magic. Her family takes her power away and sends her to London to find a husband. With no magic, she does find one...Sebastian Stapleton aka "Fox". When I first started the book I thought it would be more of a comedy, but it isn't really. There are some amusing parts, but mostly I enjoyed being in their world. Also, the hero is red-haired, which is very rare in romance fiction. And he is sexy too! Fun book, beautiful writing with a very romantic ending.

I haven't read the review here, but I thought it was more in the B range too. Once I reached a certain point I didn't want to put it down and stayed up way too late finishing it. I loved the banter between Amy and Fox...pre and post-potion. Laughing I certainly couldn't anticipate what was going to happen with a turn of the page, it was very creative. I also thought it was a very sensual novel. The only real negative(s) for me was that some scenes were a bit jumpy, and the h/h needed more time together in the last quarter. A very good read overall!
xina

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bewitched by Sandra Schwab Reply with quote

I haven't read the review here, but I thought it was more in the B range too. Once I reached a certain point I didn't want to put it down and stayed up way too late finishing it. I loved the banter between Amy and Fox...pre and post-potion. Laughing I certainly couldn't anticipate what was going to happen with a turn of the page, it was very creative. I also thought it was a very sensual novel. The only real negative(s) for me was that some scenes were a bit jumpy, and the h/h needed more time together in the last quarter. A very good read overall![/quote]

Yes, I loved the banter too, Margaret. And now that you mention it, that is probably what kept me reading with interest. When I closed the book after finishing I realized that this book is the first in a long time that I haven't zipped through the ho-hum ending. I was interested through to the last word. That is saying something.
And Natalie, I was going to reply to you before this, but this book isn't as dark as Schwab's Lilly Brand. It is unusual though, and different from every other paranormal out there. A nice twist, I think.
Sandra Schwab

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xina & Margaret, I'm so happy to hear that you've enjoyed Amy and Fox's story. Thanks for making my day! Very Happy

And Natalie, I hope you'll like Bewitched, too, even though it's not as dark as TLB (hey, I can't always be in a pitch-black mood when writing a novel). Still, it does include some darker elements -- among them a real evil charm (bullock's heart, stuck with nails and thorns) which is based on one of the objects in the Pitt River's Museum in Oxford. If you follow this link, click to activate the panorama view and then turn around, you'll see one of the display cases with the amulets and charms in the museum. Unfortunately, the bullock's heart is not among the objects you can clearly see (nor are any of the other pierced hearts - sheep heart and pig heart - or the dried toad). But there are two apples, also stuck with pointy things.

The charm to get rid of warts has also been inspired by an object in this museum: that's how I learnt the word "slug". Wink
xina

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. Still, it does include some darker elements -- among them a real evil charm (bullock's heart, stuck with nails and thorns) which is based on one of the objects in the Pitt River's Museum in Oxford. If you follow this link,

Sandra, I'm having trouble seeing this on my computer, but I'll use another one, and I might have more luck there. As I was reading that particular part, I did wonder what that bullock's heart looked like. Trying to picture it in my mind, and all. Loved the book....do you plan on writing a sequel featuring Fox's friends??? Smile xina
Sandra Schwab

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xina, if I remember correctly, the real bullock's heart (shrivelled brown thing with old rusty nails and thorns stuck into it) didn't look half as interesting as the dried toad right next to it. *g* The Pitt River's Museum truly is a giant treasure trunk of curiosities.

Quote:
do you plan on writing a sequel featuring Fox's friends???

I have to admit I'm rather bad at coming up with ideas for a romance series (by contrast, a series of fantasy novels is no problem at all; indeed, a half-finished fantasy series is currently slumbering in my drawers. Too bad it's in the wrong language. Sad ). Yet there are two linked parnormal historicals I plan to write in the not too distant future. At the moment, though, I'm working on expanding "Betrayal" into a full-length novel.
Not Quite Nicole

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished this book today, and I would also give it a solid B. I liked that the heroine initially could not find much of anything to like about the hero, even thinking of him as more carrot-colored than fox-colored.

I was so caught up in the story that I didn't notice anachronistic language, but I wish there could have been more interaction between the two after the big scene with Lady Margaret.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: