AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tracy Grant Beneath a Silent Moon - question about spoilers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nana

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Tracy Grant Beneath a Silent Moon - question about spoilers Reply with quote

I live overseas and happened to pick up a copy of Tracy Grant's Beneath a Silent Moon, which I know was written after Daughter of the Game (not sure if it's sequel or prequel or what). The odds of me finding a copy of Daughter of the Game before I visit the USA this summer are pretty slim.

What I want to know is, can I read Beneath a Silent Moon without spoiling Daughter of the Game for myself, or should I shelve it for August after some back-home bookshopping?

Thanks!
veasleyd1

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Tracy Grant Beneath a Silent Moon - question about spoil Reply with quote

Nana wrote:
I live overseas and happened to pick up a copy of Tracy Grant's Beneath a Silent Moon, which I know was written after Daughter of the Game (not sure if it's sequel or prequel or what). The odds of me finding a copy of Daughter of the Game before I visit the USA this summer are pretty slim.

What I want to know is, can I read Beneath a Silent Moon without spoiling Daughter of the Game for myself, or should I shelve it for August after some back-home bookshopping?

Thanks!

It's a prequel, so it won't spoil Daughter of the Game for you any more than reading the first book of any series spoils the rest of them.

I found that reading them in the opposite order, though, rather spoiled Beneath a Silent Moon for me.
xina

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tracy Grant Beneath a Silent Moon - question about spoil Reply with quote

Nana wrote:

Thanks!

Just so you know...Daughter Of The Game can also be found under...Secrets Of A Lady. Different cover (loved the original, different title, but the same book). Personally, I read these out of order and because that is all I know, I don't feel as if DotG was spoiled for me at all. The only thing is that Charles and Melanie's relationship and marriage is more established in Daughter otG. At any rate, these books are beautifully written and a treat to read. Enjoy!
Cheryl AAR

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter of the Game has been reviewed here at AAR, so I've moved this topic to the Reviewed Forum. Here's the review:

http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=4630
KayWebbHarrison

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is NO way to spoil these two books. They are both exceptionally good. Secrets of a Lady--originally published as Daughter of the Game--does have a series of letters added to the end. Beneath a Silent Moon has also just been reissued, but I believe that the name was not changed.
You can read more about them and future Charles & Melanie books on Tracy Grant's site:

http://tracygrant.wordpress.com/

Kay
Tracy Grant

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How lovely to come home to a thread about my books! Yes, Beneath a Silent Moon is a prequel. One of the reasons I wrote the second book in the series as prequel was so that at least the first two books in the series could not spoil each other. I tried very hard to make them reinforce each other without spoilers.

Daughter of the Game was re-issued in trade last August as Secrets of a Lady. Beneath a Silent Moon, as Kay says, has been re-issued in trade this month (still as Beneath a Silent Moon). For both Secrets of a Lady and Beneath a Silent Moon, I did some light editing, wrote epilogues, and wrote about fifteen pages of extras (sort of like DVD extras) in the form of letters between the characters. The Beneath a Silent Moon extras continue the story beyond the end of the book, which was fun to do.

Cheers,
Tracy
http://www.tracygrant.org
Nana

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I don't mind reading series out of order if the only thing that gets given away is the couples that eventually get together (you'll figure that out right quick in a romance anyway!) but knowing that these were spy stories, I wanted to make sure I didn't find out the answer to any mysteries before I read the book.

Looks like I'll be reading this next, then!
Tracy Grant

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana wrote:
Thanks for the info. I don't mind reading series out of order if the only thing that gets given away is the couples that eventually get together (you'll figure that out right quick in a romance anyway!) but knowing that these were spy stories, I wanted to make sure I didn't find out the answer to any mysteries before I read the book.

Looks like I'll be reading this next, then!

Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers,
Tracy
Nana

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followup:

I enjoyed it very much! it's the first book I've read in a long time that kept me up way past bedtime because I had to find out what happened in the next scene. I actually justified getting back out of bed one night to read a few more chapters because I decided I was too hungry to sleep and needed a snack. And of course a book to go with the snack. And it took me forty-five minutes to eat a muffin.

The broken marriage is one of my favorite plots, so I was pleasantly surprised to find it here. I also enjoy mysteries, and it was fun to read a well-crafted mystery plot set in the Regency period. I liked both Charles and Melanie. The difficulties or outright failures they had at growing closer always felt genuine to me, not contrived for the sake of maintaining relationship tension. Melanie was interesting, and I'm looking forward to learning more about her past (and specifically, how she got pregnant...) which I assume may come out when I finally get my hands on a copy of Secrets of a Lady.

I think my only complaint would be that I love small-scale personal mysteries, and I like international crisis mysteries, and I think this mystery might have been stronger if it had chosen to be one or the other. These are not really spoilers but I'm graying them to be safe: I just didn't think the Home Office involvement/France connection was necessary. Charles's history could have justified his investigation even as a pure family affair. I got a bit disoriented when the truth came out and it felt like a very "small" secret relative to the important people meddling around.

But that's just nitpicking, which I find I'm more inclined to do the more I like a book. It's one of the top five books I've read all year, and I've been on a Laura Kinsale glom, so that's really high praise.

Thanks for a great story and a wonderful hero/heroine, Tracy, and thanks for writing it so carefully that I could read it out of order. I look forward to reading more of your stories!
Tracy Grant

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments, Nana! It was a thrill to read such lovely comments on the book. I'm so glad you enjoyed Beneath a Silent Moon so much and that you liked getting to know Charles and Mélanie. I love writing about them, and I'm always so pleased when readers like them. Yes, you learn how Mélanie got pregnant and a lot more about her past in Secrets of a Lady. The Elsinore League aren't in Secrets of a Lady, but they do figure prominently in subsequent books in the series (which hopefully I will have a contract for soon Smile. Slight spoilers:

It isn't precisely true that there's "more than Charles will ever know" about the Elsinore League (as one character says at the end of the book) but Charles and Mélanie do unravel the truth about them in bits and pieces over the course of the series.

Thanks again, and do keep letting me know your impressions!

Cheers,
Tracy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: