AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nora Roberts Movies - Four more in 2009
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juliette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cora -

I want to clarify. I think nerdy-cute dorky guys can be smokin in their own way, in fact, in real life I tend to go for the less conventional look in a guy.

Often times I picture the peripery characters in a book, while not exactly unattractive, just not attractive to me. For lack of a better word, normal. They can even be described as very handsome or beautiful in a book but I don't feel they are in that running film in my mind as I'm reading. It can be because of their personality or just the picture/feel that comes to me.

The same thing happened after I read one of my all time favorites The Secret by Julie Garwood. I pictured Iain's friend Brodick as a big hairy mountain man guy. I had to wait a year or so to finally read his book Ransom, and he looked very different, LOL, so very different.

There was another Nora Roberts where I had this issue, Ripley's book Heaven and Earth, which followed the first in the series, Dance on Air. I just had a picture in my head of, while not an unattractive woman physically, just something about her . . . she was kind of butch, I guess. It just didn't work for me.

It's hard to explain, I hope you kind of get what I'm saying. It's kinda crazy how I get wrapped up in these fictional characters. Laughing
RichMissTallant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it's not that the hero has to be drop-dead gorgeous, it's just that I have to want them when I'm reading the novel. I've loved plenty of disfigured or less-than-attractive heroes; I would probably love a the 'nerdy' type if authors wrote them more. It's just with Ed, personally, I didn't get 'hero' vibes off him as a secondary character in Sacred Sins.

http://dreamingenigma.livejournal.com
Diana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juliette wrote:

There was another Nora Roberts where I had this issue, Ripley's book Heaven and Earth, which followed the first in the series, Dance on Air. I just had a picture in my head of, while not an unattractive woman physically, just something about her . . . she was kind of butch, I guess. It just didn't work for me.

It's hard to explain, I hope you kind of get what I'm saying. It's kinda crazy how I get wrapped up in these fictional characters. Laughing

Ah, Ripley! This is one character I just couldn't buy as a romantic heroine. I pictured a "scrappy" 12-year-old boy in coveralls and a backwards baseball cap taking a swing at her prospective suitor. I thought Nora was just kidding when Ripley was introduced in the first book, but nooooooo. Almost as bad is Aubrey in Chesapeake Blue -- thank God she wasn't the heroine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: