AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joanna Bourne - The Spymaster's Lady
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MMcA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy arrived this morning. Half-way through, and so far it's just a lovely, lovely book.
MMcA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And having finished it... it stays fabulous the whole way through. It's the first book since Chase's Lord Perfect where I've finished reading, then started at the beginning again.

It's funny, because a hero who is a spy during the Napoleonic wars is one of those Romance cliches - and I really dislike those covers with the bare chested hero (-didn't Lord Perfect have that as well?) and I also dislike those generic titles The [Male Word]'s [Female Word]. So absolutely, I'd never have bought it if it hadn't had such great reviews.
I'm shelving it alongside Tracy Grant's books on my mental bookshelf - I think if you liked one there's a good chance you'd like the other.

As everyone else has said the heroine is fabulous - competent, intelligent and experienced, but also feminine, and funny - and caring in a good way, not a soppy one. And a great hero as well - one of those books where you think the couple really will be happy after the ending. Lots of mutual respect. And the external conflict is real, and it's not easy to see how it will be resolved.

As Jane said, this is the kind of book that I always hope to find.
HelenB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Spymasters lady Reply with quote

This is one of those times that I bless sites like this and Dear Author, without you I would have not read this book- mainly due to the cover I have to say and I am so glad i did. It is an intelligent, well written and wonderful book. It will be difficult for other stories to better it.
nikki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

finished it first thing this morning. LOVED it. not a keeper (barely), but definitely memorable and it puts the author on my 'buy her next book without question' list.

my blog (do not click if you're easily offended)
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to believe this is Bourne's first book. She's so good at giving her characters distinct voices. With just a couple of lines, you could identify Annique or Doyle or Adrian. Does Adrian remind anyone else just slightly of Cat from The Windflower?
MMcA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's hard to believe this is Bourne's first book.

I don't think it is. She had a - Regency, I think - published in 1983. (Perhaps - that's the date that's stuck in my head, but my head's so unreliable it might well be 1993 - or 1398.)
I've ordered a second hand copy, but it hasn't arrived yet.
Trish B

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spymasters lady Reply with quote

HelenB wrote:
This is one of those times that I bless sites like this and Dear Author, without you I would have not read this book- mainly due to the cover I have to say and I am so glad i did. It is an intelligent, well written and wonderful book. It will be difficult for other stories to better it.

My thoughts exactly! Neither would I have given this one a chance without the buzz. I just started it last night and was up till close to 5:00 am reading! Thank goodness it was Sunday and I could sleep in!
Cyl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: This is Ms Bourne's second book Reply with quote

MMcA wrote:
Quote:

I don't think it is. She had a - Regency, I think - published in 1983. (Perhaps - that's the date that's stuck in my head, but my head's so unreliable it might well be 1993 - or 1398.)

Her first book was titled Her Ladyship's Companion and was published by Avon in 1983. The hero is Giles Tarsin. SIR Adrian Hawkhurst makes an appearance. Ms Bourne commented on this in her guest appearance on Julia Quinn's blog. I can't remember where I got the link to the blog (probably Dear AUthor), and didn't save it in my favorites.
Tee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unbelievable that this book can be that good. However, I can't take the chance that it's really not. Checked the library catalog and only one branch is ordering it and it's not even in yet. Here's another instance where I'll go out and buy it. So many people here whose opinions usually work for me can't all be wrong. Thanks to all. I'm really looking forward to it.
MaryKate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: This is Ms Bourne's second book Reply with quote

Cyl wrote:
MMcA wrote:
Quote:

Her first book was titled Her Ladyship's Companion and was published by Avon in 1983. The hero is Giles Tarsin. SIR Adrian Hawkhurst makes an appearance. Ms Bourne commented on this in her guest appearance on Julia Quinn's blog. I can't remember where I got the link to the blog (probably Dear AUthor), and didn't save it in my favorites.

Darn! I guess this means she's not a Debut Author, she's tops on my list for the 2008 Reader's Poll. Of course, it's 14 days into the new year. Very Happy

Since reading The Spymaster's Lady I've had a hard time settling on another book to read. I read Laura Lee Guhrke's newest, and it suffered deeply by comparison.
misty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the review said she sometimes had to play the seductress. Does she actually have to sleep with anyone? I'm about to order the book, but I want to know the answer before ordering.
Cheryl AAR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misty wrote:
I noticed that the review said she sometimes had to play the seductress. Does she actually have to sleep with anyone? I'm about to order the book, but I want to know the answer before ordering.

SPOILER SPACE

No, she doesn't.
misty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Spoiler
Quote:
No, she doesn't.

Thank you very much. I very much wanted to read this book, but that was holding me back.
MrsFairfax

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misty wrote:

I wondered how she'd avoid that, but then realized she was usually more of a courier than a front-lines operative, and she didn't stay in one place for long.

Historical nitpick alert: was "pimp" a word with the currently understood meaning at that point in time?
dick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What incredible good fortune! To have both The Spymaster's Lady and If His Kiss Is Wicked both available within a few short months. Annique (think it's deliberately so close to "unique"?) is a marvel of characterization, even if, considered rationally, her character's pretty fanciful. But then, who wants to be rational?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: