AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sandra Brown's "Play Dirty"--loved it...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandlynn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't remember such a fallen hero as Griff - he was guilty and served time, and it was heart-breaking to see him shunned by people who were once great fans of his. And he really was a bit of a sociopath - selfish, unpleasant and unlikeable - but somehow, you grudgingly grow to like him a little bit more at a time as the book progresses. Only Sandra Brown can pull off a hero like this, on top of the bizarre plot. The only thing that disappointed me was the showdown in Ithaca. It was rather melodramatic and improbable. But the ending was perfect. The heroine is rather too controlled, and almost hard-headed, though - but somehow she fitted Griff.

Actually, he'd be my choice for "most tortured hero" in the annual readers poll but my 2007 reading was sparse. At this point, only seven romance novels with that publishing date.
jebe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, TEE!!! Guess what finally came out in paperback?

I'm so behind the reading times, I feel like the kid sister that keeps tagging along w/her older sib! Anyway, just wanted to let you know I've been lying in wait for this book b/c of this thread! And, I have to tell ya, even though I do think it had some major shaky points, it was good, real good!

Loved Griff! Totally flawed, way too shady type of guy, but as I mentioned on another thread, I love that type of guy! I was up waaaaayyy too late finishing this up!

I'm 2-0 now for summer reads! First Nameless, which I saw was a DNF for you, and now Play Dirty! I'm afraid to read now b/c I don't think anything will hold up! Confused Thanks for pointing this one out, though, or I don't think I would've tried it!
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:
Hey, TEE!!! Guess what finally came out in paperback? .... And, I have to tell ya, even though I do think it had some major shaky points, it was good, real good! .... Loved Griff! Totally flawed, way too shady type of guy, but as I mentioned on another thread, I love that type of guy!

Oh, jebe, I'm glad you enjoyed it too. I agree totally with you on Griff. Brown drew his character very well, flaws and all. You know, it's been a while since I read the book, but the characters are very, very strong in my mind, especially Griff's, even now. That definitely doesn't happen very often. Usually, for me, after reading a book, most of the nuances are forgotten after a couple of months. Not so with this one.

Quote:
I'm 2-0 now for summer reads! First Nameless, which I saw was a DNF for you, and now Play Dirty! I'm afraid to read now b/c I don't think anything will hold up! Confused Thanks for pointing this one out, though, or I don't think I would've tried it!

You're right about Nameless with me. I tried it, got thru enough chapters to know the writing style wasn't for me, at least, at the time. Actually, I'm going to try her next one and see how that one fares for me. When coming off two excellent books, back to back, I know what you mean when you're not too sure about any that may follow. That's a hard act to follow. Hope you get another good one, which would make three in a row. Don't they call that the "hat trick" in hockey?
jebe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee wrote:
which would make three in a row. Don't they call that the "hat trick" in hockey?

They sure do! That'd be nice, too, but I ain't holdin' my breath! Wink I think I'll hope for the best and...well, you know the rest!
Diana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebe wrote:

Loved Griff! Totally flawed, way too shady type of guy, but as I mentioned on another thread, I love that type of guy! I was up waaaaayyy too late finishing this up!

When I saw this book come up again I was inspired to fire up my audio version of Play Dirty. Let me just say that narrator Victor Slezak does a fine, I mean really fine, job of capturing Griff's sexiness. Slezak does an amazing job with Brown's Envy and White Hot as well. There's something quite nice about listening to a sexy male voice reading to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: