AAR
Click here for full forums index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sandra Brown's "Play Dirty"--loved it...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dipperdocus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tee. I grabbed it on my way out and started reading while waiting at the clinic. It hooked me from the first page. Yes, I like Griff's self-deprecating humor. I am only at the page where he's left the Speakmans' home and I'm as intrigued as he is as to why they have chosen this route instead of the sperm donor one. I hope SB has a good reason because, like Griff, I can't think of any other reason except that they're loony.

I'm not concerned about the lack of hot and heavy sex as long as SB doesn't lose focus on the romance. I love Karen Rose and there's no hot sex in her books. I like Griff already but I haven't seen anything much of the heroine yet to know if I'll like her.
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dipperdocus wrote:
Thanks, Tee. I grabbed it on my way out and started reading while waiting at the clinic. It hooked me from the first page.

You know, dipperdocus, I too was hooked from the first page. With this particular story, I would say that if you aren't pulled in almost immediately, you probably won't be at all. I'm glad you also liked Griff's subtle humor. I found it refreshing in a Sandra Brown book and made his character (even from the beginning) easy to swallow. If you remember to do so, let me know your final reactions once you finish the book.
BeeCali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it. Probably because it was so unusual. I really liked Griff's internal dialogue. He had a chip on his shoulder but he wasn't whiney. The plot was unusual too. Definitely not a story you've heard on some variation before. I thought the OCD husband and the mysterious manservant were nice touches too.

Oh, and can you imagine with all that's been happening in the news with Michael Vick and gambling what it would be like for this character in real life? The scene where he's trying to eat in public at a restaurant. Scary angry fans are scary!!
Tee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeeCali wrote:
I really liked Griff's internal dialogue. He had a chip on his shoulder but he wasn't whiney.

Yeah, BeeCali, Griff's one-liners to himself worked very well for me. I think that's where I began forming the positive opinions about him. He knew exactly what he did wrong five years ago, offers no excuses for it and decides he's going on in life wherever it takes him. Thanks for chiming in here.
dipperdocus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee, I finished the book the next day. I loved it! It's been a long, long time since I cared so much, sympathized so much and agonized so much with the hero. When Griff accepted the offer in the first couple of chapters, my immediate thought turned out to be exactly what happened in the end. This non-surprise should have detracted from my reading pleasure at least a bit but it didn't. SB had me so caught up in the story and Griff's circumstances that I totally forgot about my having 'guessed' what would happen.

About a third of the way into the book, the Speakmans were getting a little too creepy for me and I was wishing Griff would get the hell outta there. IMO, Marcia, the high-class whore was more suited to Griff than Laura, who was too cool and stiff. I didn't warm to her at all right to the end but at least I can tell myself that their romance is only beginning at the end of the book.

I'm happy about Griff and that throwing the game bit at the end. Kudos to SB for being able to make us like and care about a hero who cheated, got caught and is a loser from page one. I wasn't expecting that much of a happy ending to the mess that was Griff's life but am SO glad SB gave it to me, anyway. That's what I buy romance for but not always get these days.
So, despite my not really getting enough time and opportunity to like Laura, despite agreeing about how a cop under investigation could have that much power and no one raised an eyebrow, despite the subtle sex, Play Dirty turned out to be the best romantic suspense I've read this year to date.

Sandra Brown is back to being an auto-buy for me!
Tee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dipperdocus wrote:
...It's been a long, long time since I cared so much, sympathized so much and agonized so much with the hero. [....] IMO, Marcia, the high-class whore was more suited to Griff than Laura, who was too cool and stiff. I didn't warm to her at all right to the end but at least I can tell myself that their romance is only beginning at the end of the book.

I would say that I too enjoyed Griff's character a lot. Usually, if I really think about it, I tend to gravitate toward strong females in the books I end up liking a lot (or at least heroines beginning weak but ending up strong). But there have been several books where the hero takes front and center for whatever reason. Lisa Gardner wrote two connected books recently which featured a very likeable hero. Brown did well with Griff.

Yes, Laura was more remote, especially from the beginning. But, considering the background, I could identify with those feelings. There were some things she could have fought more about not doing. However, in light of the circumstances with her husband, I was okay with the explanations.

You also found some of the holes I was referring to that were probably a bit of a stretch. Since, in my mind, they were minor enough, I gave them up to the author's discretion. We all know that most fiction books have points that tax the imagination; but unless they're major, we glide over them because we are reading "fiction."

Thanks, dipperdocus, for your input.
Diana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not working today and I'm salivating over the fact that I get to start this book.

But before I proceed, I have to ask what the heck is the deal with the cover? What body part is that hairy male hand pressing on? At first I thought it was the top of a thigh and tummy but the proportions don't look right. Any theories? I hope it's not so obvious that I'll be embarrassed that I didn't see it.

And please forgive me, but I can't leave this alone either. How many times do you think Sandra Brown has gone under the plastic surgeon's knife? Her face is getting close to that Joan Rivers porcelain look. She still looks great (love the hair!), but is it photoshop or is it real?
Natalie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the first Brown I enjoyed in a while. It's nice to have a flawed hero who manages to redeem herself without much whining Smile
dipperdocus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
But before I proceed, I have to ask what the heck is the deal with the cover? What body part is that hairy male hand pressing on? At first I thought it was the top of a thigh and tummy but the proportions don't look right. Any theories? I hope it's not so obvious that I'll be embarrassed that I didn't see it.

Sounds like my mass paperback has a different cover. Mine has the partial face of a woman against a mottled rust-colored backdrop. No other persons and no other body parts.
PatW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But before I proceed, I have to ask what the heck is the deal with the cover? What body part is that hairy male hand pressing on?

It does look strange doesn't it?
dipperdocus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What hand? I see some kind of white blouse with a narrow vee and some metallic thing sticking inside lower down. I have no idea what that hardcover version's picture is but my paperback cover different. Amazon doesn't even list the mass paperback version so I couldn't post the cover I have.
Diana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished it and loved it!

The photo is in stark black and white under the dust jacket. Can someone who is more technically skilled than I am post that picture?
Tee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana wrote:
Finished it and loved it! The photo is in stark black and white under the dust jacket. Can someone who is more technically skilled than I am post that picture?

Glad you enjoyed the story, Diana. As to the cover, I see the hand in the graphic that was posted in this thread. But maybe it's each individual computer that may show it differently. By the way, I never noticed the hand when I got the book originally.

Maybe if we tell people it's like a fade-out in the background, they'll see it better that way. Almost like a "watermark" on paper. But hell if I know what or whom that hand is supposed to be touching.
Tacilija

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me that the hand is low on a woman's back, almost on her bottom.
Diana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dust jacket is a see-through overlay. The image is a very clear black and white photo on the book cover. That is, it's a clear image but not clear as to what body part it is. The hills and valleys are what's giving me a problem.

Hope someone can solve the mystery. There's no mention of it on Brown's website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AAR Forum Index -> Let's Talk Romance Novels Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: